What's new

What would you all consider the "holy trilogies" of movies? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
BTW, now I can officially confirm (along w/Thomas) that The Matrix Trilogy has achieved Holy status.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Here is an MSN article listing their top 10 trilogies.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The latest offering is the "Indiana Jones" series, snuggled neatly into a package that helps us forget the first and second films were sub-par.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a lot of love for Indy. Oh well, to each their own, enjoy.
Really? The link took me to a music page, so I couldn't read the article, but I have never heard anyone who likes Indiana Jones call The Raiders of the Lost Ark "sub-par".

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Having watched Raiders this weekend, I can confirm it is indeed subpar :D

Whatever :) It's sublime.

I concur on the Matrix trilogy. Pretty astounding.

Take care,
Chuck

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Id say...

Star Wars OT
The Man With No Name Trilogy
The Godfather Trilogy

Stand as the truly greats.

While I liked LOTR, I found TTT to be a huge disappointment and I dont care for the Matrix movies.

Someone mentioned the Kubrick Trilogy - Dr Strangelove,2001 A Space Odyssey,A Clockwork Orange.
If these could be considered a trilogy, it would have my vote.

The final installments of the SW (LOVED the scenes with Luke, Vader and Palpatine in ROTJ-I HATED the rest) and Godfather trilogies, while they have some really great moments, are disappointing.

Die Hard,Indiana Jones,Alien,Samurai,etc are good but I wouldnt consider them "Holy"

john davies

Stunt Coordinator
The Apu trilogy

The Human Condition (epic anti-war Japanese classic)

Marius trilogy (Pagnol's delightful Marseille characters)

Three Colours trilogy

All of the above maintain a high standard throughout.

I'm looking forward to Angelopoulos' forthcoming trilogy. Hopefully a great masterpiece.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
It appears that the definition of Trilogy here is all over the map, so here's another one, Ray Harryhausen's Sinbad Trilogy (the only one with 3 different actors playing the lead role, I think).

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
I also have to put The Matrix at the top of the "holy trilogy" list, but it's a short list.

I can list a "favorite trilogies" list but in keeping with the topic, the only ones I can consider "holy" with the Matrix are the Indiana Jones trilogy and the Terminator trilogy.

The rest fall just short of being "holy" because of that ONE movie:

Star Wars OT (RotJ)
Evil Dead (AoD)
Die Hard (DH2)
The Godfather (GF3)
Back To The Future (BthF2)
Jurrasic Park (JP2)
Austin Powers (parts 2 AND 3)
Rambo (part 3)
Scream (part 3)
Mariachi (OUaTiM)

As far as the 2 upcoming trilogies are concerned:

I have no doubt that the Lord Of The Rings trilogy will be in my "holy trilogy" list but right below The Matrix.

and

Regardless of how episode 3 turns out, the 2nd SW trilogy will not be on the list. IMO, of course.

I can't include the others (either I haven't seen them or there are more than 3 in the series) and will obviously have to knock Indiana Jones off the list within a few years.

Now, if someone would start a topic all movies from a series, then that would be some list. :D

Alvin.G.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Stone's Vietnam War trilogy "Platoon", "Born on the Fourth of July", and "Heaven and Earth." At the very least they are a thematic trilogy.

George See

Second Unit
I wouldn't call it the best trilogy in the world, but I don't get how people can call the first 2 jones films subpar. Am I missing something here? They were all 3 of them fun popcorn movies. They all had exciting set pieces witty dialog and interesting locations. For what they set out to do with those movies they are not subpar.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
My own "holy trilogies", films that I look at with wonder and respect and awe, are:

1. Lord of the Rings. Yes, I know ROTK isn't out yet. I don't care. All reports seem to indicate that it will match or surpass the first two in terms of emotion, grandeur, scope and quality. Plus there is the fact that "The Hobbit" started me on the road to becoming a fantasy fan when I read it in the third grade. The first two films brought tears of happiness to my eyes.

2. Star Wars original trilogy. Space opera, B-grade films with great effects -- call them whatever you want, I still consider these three films to be some of the greatest and most visionary ever. I do NOT think much of Lucas' continued tinkering with them.

3. Indiana Jones trilogy. Despite Kate Capshaw in the second film, I still love all three of these films, and having them appear on DVD recently was one of the high points of my movie-watching lifetime. Great music, great action, fantastic characters.

4. The Matrix trilogy. Savaged by the critics, but what do I care about critics? Mysticism, anime-influenced look, fantastic choreography, excellent effects, and a story with more layers of than an onion. I love the way the films can be interpreted so many different ways.

I haven't seen many of the "holy trilogies" people are listing in this thread. Guess I need to get that Netflix membership soon.

cheers,
Phil

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
In order of my admiration for them:

The Three Colors Trilogy (Blue/White/Red): One of my first forays into foreign films. I'm still not widely versed in foreign films, but at least now if I see a film that looks interesting I don't really care where it came from. By the way, to finally have this on DVD in a three pack and to only pay ~ $35 for it makes me more thankful than anything else I've bought on DVD. Thanks Miramax/Disney.

Indiana Jones Trilogy: Still my favorite action movies...unfortunately this will come off the list in about two years...to be moved to the favorite "series" list.

The Matirx Trilogy: Although I didn't love Revolutions as much as Reloaded or the first one, it was still a great movie...I've only seen the third one once, perhaps my love of it will grow with repeated viewings...but I absolutely love this trilogy, to hell with what the critics think!

Die Hard Trilogy: I love all three of these, even the much maligned second one. Still not as good as 1 or even 3, but good nonetheless.

Poltergeist I/II/III: ...nah, just kidding! I own all three...I is about 4.5/5...II is about 2/5 and III is about a 1/5...truly terrible sequels...but I like 'em anyway.

That's really it. The Godfather is close to being on this list, but 3 is such an abysmal film in my opinion that it disqualifies its entry here. As much as I enjoy the Jurassic Park films, 2/3 just aren't that great compared to one. Oh, and Star Wars doesn't go on here either, thanks to Attack of the Phantom Menace...it isn't a trilogy anymore, its a series...to me at least.
I'm sure Lord of the Rings will supplant Three Colors on this list, but until I've seen it remains off the list.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion, I hold the following quite highly:

Indiana Jones - From start to finish, one of the most consistently rewarding and entertaining series of films. I love the dark nature of Temple of Doom as much as the light hearted Last Crusade.

Star Wars - Greatness in the beginning, although the retread of another Death Star, killer Ewoks, and burping Sarlaac's bring it a bit down.

Alien/s/3 - I for one love all three of them, including the last one. I love how each director was able to bring their style to it. However, although I am a defender of it, I would not include the fourth film as being in the same league as the rest.

Evil Dead - Consistently inventive film series, with a curious opening that reinvents the scenes from the previous films. I also like the tonal changes from more serious horror eventually changing to pure action comedy.

Wes Anderson's movies - loosely calling this a Trilogy only because he hasn't made a fourth film, I think these are simply some of the finest films ever made.

If I could pick and choose, I'd build a holy trilogy out of Planet of the Apes, Escape from, and Conquest for. Escape would be harmed by not having the nuclear explosion, but otherwise it has all the best moments of the series, without the redundancy of Beneath and the pure crap of Battle.

I also have the three previously mentioned Sinbad movies, but I don't think I consider them quite holy (although supremely enjoyable).

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I don't get how people can call the first 2 jones films subpar. Am I missing something here? They were all 3 of them fun popcorn movies. They all had exciting set pieces witty dialog and interesting locations. For what they set out to do with those movies they are not subpar.
Funny, because I ask the same question from the exact opposite perspective...how could anyone not consider at least part 2 & 3 to be subpar!?

:)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
In order:
Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Die Hard
Lethal Weapon
Night of the Living Dead
Matrix (first two only)
LOTR, Haven't seen TT or ROTK, but when I get the box set, I'm pretty sure it will move way up on the chart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks