What's new

What single game made you buy a system? (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
For Me
PSX-NHL 98. I tried to run it on my PC but it didn't work. So I returned it and bought NHL 98 for the PSX and a PSX, controller and memory card.
PS2-Metal Gear Solid 2. I had planned on a PS2 at some point due to Gran Turismo 3 but it wasn't high priority. when MGS2 came out I went out to the store and bought a GT3 PS2 bundle, memory card, and MGS2.
Gamecube-Resident Evil. I was interested in Rogue Leader but Resident Evil was ultimately the one that sealed the deal for me.
Don't have an XBox yet but I may get one at some point. Halo was and is the only must have title on the XBox but I've already played it to death on my brother's XBox. I will definitely have an XBox by the time Halo 2 comes out if not sooner though.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Intellivision - Dungeons and Dragons
Apple IIE - Wizardry
Genesis - Mortal Kombat
PSX - Final Fantasy VII
Jaguar - Tempest 2000
Dreamcast - Soul Caliber
N64 - Golden Eye/Perfect Dark
Xbox - Halo
PS2 - Virtua Fighter 4
Camecube - Animal Crossing

Todd_B

Second Unit
I bought the Cube when Capcom decided to make the Resident Evil series GCN "exclusive".
Todd B

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
The last time I bought a system just for one game was the Genesis. The game was not Sonic, actually (my first Sonic game was Sonic 2 for the Game Gear). It was... Jurassic Park. :b

Since then, all my system purchases have been influenced by more than one game.

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
Atari 2600 - Space Invaders (gift from old St. Nick back in the day.
Nintendo - Mario Bros.
Genesis - John Madden's Football
Genesis CD - Sewer Shark
Genesis 32x - Doom
Sony Play station - All the football games!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Great topic. :emoji_thumbsup:
Atari 2600: No particular game.
NES: for Super Mario Bros. The whole concept of a side scrolling 2D platformer was still really crazy to me at the time.
Super Famicom: To get Super Mario World, F-Zero, Actraiser early and in their Nihon'go incarnations.
N64: Mario64, no other reason.
PS2: for SSX, actually.
DC: for Jet Grind Radio
NGC: for Monkey Ball and Rogue Leader

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I'm trying to figure out a way to justify a PS2 exclusively for GTA3 VC.
For some reason, my wife and I don't see eye to eye.:confused:

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
I bought MORROWIND before I bought my XBox. It's still the only XBox game I have. I've tried HALO but it's not my cup of tea.

paul_v

Second Unit
Soon as I heard that Nintendo was making a Metroid game for the Gamecube I went ahead and bought one

Doug Ennis

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a PS2 because I couldn't imagine not being able to play Metal Gear Solid 2. Now I think the same thing is gonna happen with the Gamecube and Metroid Prime.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
I remember begging my parents to get me an Atari 2600 when I found out they were making a Raiders of the Lost Ark Game, which they did. I remember begging my parents to get me a Commodore 64 when I found out they were coming out with the SSI Dungeons and Dragons series, which they did. I remember begging my parents to get me a Nintendo when I saw Final Fantasy, which they did. I remember begging my parents to get me a Sega Master System when I saw Phantasy Star, which they did. I remember begging my parents to get me a Sega Genesis when I asw Phantasy Star III, which they did. I remember begging my parents not to kick me out of the house when they saw how much money I cost, which they did. :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Whoa... You mean there were reasons other than "Tempest 2000" to get a Jaguar? :D
(EDIT: Okay, I knew the odd guy who got one for "Aliens vs. Predator")

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Battlemorph (not Cybermorph) for the Jag CD was actually very good.
Battlesphere is excellent but was released after the console's 'live'.
The Iron Soldier games were very good for the time.
Power Drive Rally is actually a pretty nice little game.
Atari Karts is a decent little karting game.
All exclusives at the time.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I've had Atari, Nintendo, Gameboy, SNES, N64, 3D0, Gameboy Advance, Saturn, Playstation, and Gamecube.

The only system I bought for one game was Playstation and that game was Final Fantasy 7.

~T

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Saturn - VF2.
N64 - Mario and Zelda. I bought the system used and sold it back to the same store when I finished Ocarina of Time. I thought of it as a really long term rental.
Dreamcast - Sonic, I guess. Got the system on launch day. Now I have to get a new one as the GD drive died on it...
PSX - Metal Gear Solid. I played it at a friend's house, and got hooked. I'm afraid to go to his house now and play GTA:VC. I'm afraid I might like it and have to buy it.

Virtua Boy - They had it on sale for $30 cdn... It's a great and cheap way to go blind.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
RPG's in general made me buy the SNES.

Mario 64 made me buy the N64.

Resident Evil made me buy the PSX. But I thought it sucked along with Twisted Metal so I returned it.

FF7 made me buy the PSX again. But I thought it sucked so I returned it.

FF Tactics persuaded me to order a PSX instead of a digital camera as a company bonus gift. It was okay, but I regret not having chosen the camera. I think I've logged all of 30 hours on my PSX, which is still collecting dust. I put almost as many hours into it my Virtual Boy. How could you pass up a museum piece for $30 with $5 games?

Pikmin made me buy the GCN.

Advanced Wars (and the GCN game drought) made me buy the GBA.

And although this is chronologically out of order, I bought a Jag for Iron Soldier. Almost unplayable after spending so much time on Blast Corps. Jag returned (and I only paid $50 for it in the first place).

Hanson

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
the prospect of metal gear solid 2 made me buy a playstation 2, but before it came out this little game called grand theft auto 3 came on the scene..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks