What's new

What other shows could CBS/Paramount pull back from public domain? (1 Viewer)

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
This week's releases of Bonanza and One Step Beyond has made me reflect on CBS/Paramount's concerted effort to release "official" DVDs of many PD chesnuts.

Over the past year, they've put out:

The Beverly Hillbillies S2, S3
Petticoat Junction S1, S2
The Lucy Show S1
Bonanza S1 V1, S1 V2
One Step Beyond S1

So are there any other shows in their library that could be "clawed back" next?

(It's unfortunate that Dragnet is a Universal property, because it would be a prime candidate for this sort of reclamation.)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
These are long shots, but I think Paramount/CBS may own the westerns: (Republic's) Strories Of The Century, and the Gene Autry produced shows Range Rider, Annie Oakley, Buffalo Bill Jr.,and The Adventures Of Champion.

Be nice to see them from pristine vault copies, if they exist.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
What I really want to see is clean, "official" releases of the great '70's TV movies produced by Aaron Spelling like THE BOY IN THE PLASTIC BUBBLE, SATAN'S SCHOOL FOR GIRLS, and others, that have been PD eyesores for years. I don't know how well the questionable Wild Eye editions of THE DEVIL'S DAUGHTER and SHARK ATTACK sold, but if they did okay, CBS/Paramount should be taking notice and digging other gems out of the vault - a good chunk of the legendary "ABC Movie of the Week" films are theirs.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck

What I really want to see is clean, "official" releases of the great '70's TV movies produced by Aaron Spelling like THE BOY IN THE PLASTIC BUBBLE, SATAN'S SCHOOL FOR GIRLS, and others, that have been PD eyesores for years. I don't know how well the questionable Wild Eye editions of THE DEVIL'S DAUGHTER and SHARK ATTACK sold, but if they did okay, CBS/Paramount should be taking notice and digging other gems out of the vault - a good chunk of the legendary "ABC Movie of the Week" films are theirs.
It would be great if they could keep the original intro although they probably won't because:
—It's probably not in the negatives, but was tacked onto the prints the network received (I assume)
—The music from the famous 1969-1974ish intro (the one with the slit-scan effects a la 2001: A Space Odyssey) is based on a Burt Bacharach song called "Nikki", and we all know the one place CBS/P loves to save a buck.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention they wouldn't be too keen on releasing something called ABC Movie of the Week, considering they are CBS!

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to see a collection of the ABC Movie of the Week, with each installment starting up with the intro and scenes from "tonight's" movie. Tragic that the entertainment and nostalgia value is lost to business concerns.

I have a "public domain" DVD of "Where Have All The People Gone?" with Peter Graves and Kathleen Quinlan – in a double feature with "Embryo" – the picture and sound quality are awful, some old 3/4" U-Matic dub. I'd love to see this old TV movie get a decent transfer. Does anyone know who owns it? It was made by Metromedia in 1974.

Here, hear on "The Boy in the Plastic Bubble." That was a landmark, hard to believe it's not out.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Joseph Burns

I have a "public domain" DVD of "Where Have All The People Gone?" with Peter Graves and Kathleen Quinlan – in a double feature with "Embryo" – the picture and sound quality are awful,
WHERE HAVE ALL THE PEOPLE GONE has been airing on the Fox Movie Channel for the past year in a beautiful print.

Other ABC Movies-Of-The-Week airing on FMC have included WHEN MICHAEL CALLS, DAUGHTER OF THE MIND and TRIBES. I believe both DAUGHTER and TRIBES were extended European theatrical cuts. One thing that is a mystery about TRIBES though is that the very last shot in the end credits is abruptly cut every single time it is shown on FMC. Does anyone know why that would be?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Point-Blank

believe both DAUGHTER and TRIBES were extended European theatrical cuts.

Yes, they are as the running times clock in longer than the network airrings :)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
as this industry becomes more and more popular, it will cause studios to release more and more stuff. time is on our side.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks