What's new

What kind of collector you are? (1 Viewer)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I'm an anal-retentive, casually buff movie buyer. I like collecting Criterions. It's irrational, it's expensive, it is, in no small way, troubling.

I sell DVD's to buy more DVD's. This is the only drug that I want... Please, give me a special edition Goodfellas and Raging Bull. So that I can own them and sell them for a Magnificent Ambersons 2-disc special edition. And on...and on...and on...

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'd say I'm none of those. I don't buy anything I think I'll regret in a year. I used to buy movies that were ok but basically it was turning out to be an expensive rental because I thought I would need it. Basically I thought it was cool enough to buy, but a year later I didn't really need it like I need Indy.

Now I only buy things I know I'll love. I don't need 400 DVDs, I don't have the time or the desire to own movies that are not good. But I don't watch them all the time like the title says.

Erwin

Stunt Coordinator
I don't really think I fit any of those categories. A little of the first 2 maybe. I buy movies because I actually like them. If I buy a movie that I sort of like, it's only because it reminds me of the good old days in the early 90s or late 80s. I don't like those movies that drag on and on or flash back and forth too much like "Momento".

I would like to have dts if possible, but if DD5.1 is available, I'm OK with it. I really don't care wether I have the "super-duper-have-to-pay-twice-as-much-because-it-has-15mins-of-new-footage" edition unless it's a must have like Star Wars. I will only buy OAR versions...period. I don't require every movie in a set (for example, I don't have Batman&Robin, Superman III, or IV but I have the others in the series).

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'm a 3. I only have about 59 that I've collected over the past 3 years. However I do have certain qualities of category 2 such as "prefers OAR".:)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I find myself smack in the middle between 1 and 2. I have all the FOX Studio classics because I the completist in me says I should, however, they're classic for a reason, and I haven't regretted them once. I store all my DVDs by genre and like to fill out areas where I feel my collection is weak. Man, after writing this, maybe I'm more like a 1.3 not a 1.5. Oh well, it could be a heroin addiction instead:D , I mean no one has ever died from being addicted to DVDs right?:D
Todd

StephenA

Screenwriter
I'm a mix between 1 and 2. I love movies, and if there's a better version of a movie I like alot that I already have on DVD, I'll either give the old DVD to a family member or pawn it so I can have the better version. Most of my family isn't into all the extras and the better quality offered by some SEs or newer versions. I'll get all the versions of a movie, IE theatrical, extended, and whatever else if they are all available.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I used to be a total DVD whore who wouldnt think twice about a blind purchase. I bought dvds cause i needed them. I sold off a big chunk of my collection over the last couple years due to lack of interest in many titles, room and the fact I was unemployed a few months.

I only buy movies I love and/or films Ill watch over again. My set up is a 10 yr old 4x3 27in Tv, Pioneer DV626 and a Yamaha DTS/DD 5.1 Reciever. Im also into video games and music quite a bit as well.

I do have a social life and a 40hr workweek. Im not seeing anyone right now but I date as often as I can.

What category does that make me? ;)

Min Kim

Auditioning
I have a rather small collection of 20 discs. I love the Criterions, and the new Warner Brother 2 Disc Special Editions(Singin' in the Rain, especially). Because I'm a poor college student, I can't afford to buy even a crappy receiver. Not quite sure what I'd categorize myself as, but I know I'm willing to spend most of my extra cash of DVD's.

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
Because I'm a poor college student, I can't afford to buy even a crappy receiver. Not quite sure what I'd categorize myself as, but I know I'm willing to spend most of my extra cash of DVD's.
You´re an honorary 2. All you need is a job to earn money and become a full-fledged 2.

Category 2 also.. like DVD's but not to the extent that I have to get every special edition.. also you forgot to mention - Rich Gits also.. for Cat 1

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I can't afford to buy even a crappy receiver. Not quite sure what I'd categorize myself as, but I know I'm willing to spend most of my extra cash of DVD's.
Don't put yourself down so much. Most people seem to flaunt the number of DVD's they own. This is ok, but it's more about the "DVD:Available Funds" ratio that impresses me most :D

The guy who makes $2,000 a week and has 2,000 DVD's doesn't impress me as much as the guy who makes $200 a week and has 200 DVD's.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
1. THE ANAL-RETENTIVE COLLECTOR.

and even a guh-guh-guh-GIRLFRIEND!!!
Hey, what movie/HT geek doesn't?! :laugh: *forced laughter* I'm going to movies with her at 8:00! :laugh: *more forced laughter* *sigh*

I am so alone...

So in summary, I'm mostly #2 with a dash of #3 and a slight speck of #1.

JosefM

Auditioning
When I started out buying DVDs back in April 1997, I bought just about anything (like there was a lot to choose from :) ). But now I am in the 2nd category. I read and learned a lot more technical information about video, sound presentation and the like so I'm more choosie now. The quality of the release is my main priority in which disc I buy. Most movies I buy now are either classic movie special (really) editions or movies I really liked a lot in the theater (that are still good releases ie: Matrix Reloaded).

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I kinda fall into both catagories 2 and 3. Although I won't buy any DVD that is not in the OAR, I am mostly more into the sound with DTS being my preference. I only buy movies that I want to own and like seeing again and again. I won't buy a movie I don't care for just because it is an SE, Superbit, Extended Version, etc. I have to like the movie and will buy used copies just to get the movie at a reasonable price. I have been collecting since 1997 and am just now creeping up on 400 DVD titles. My only indulgence is that I will buy even lousy movies in the "zombie" genre, my being such an avid George A. Romero fan and all. Heck, I am even going to buy "House of the Dead" even though I thought the movie stunk.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm a 3 who pretends to be a 1. I like to look at the Criterions and fancy box sets on the shelf as if I have an intention to buy them someday. :)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Ok, here are my habbits, you all can classify me.

1. In some senses I am a completist. If I buy season 1 of a TV show, I will almost guaranteed by future seasons.
2. I do not stray away from blind buys, in fact many movies I buy are ones I've never seen since I really didn't watch movies that much until I entered college. Good bonus material on something I haven’t seen may encourage me to buy it.
3. I only buy region 1 DVDs, as I don't have a region free player.
4. The further away from a release date the less likely I am to buy it. Example: I'm more likely to buy Indiana Jones on 10/21 than I am on 1/31/2004.
5. I have a book for live action movies, a book for animated movies, a book for television shows, and a book for wrestling. Though this is more for making things easier to find.
6. I believe that a movie should be in its Original Aspect Ratio, however this won't stop me from a purchase. One thing when it comes to video and audio is, I'm more interested in a films audio because I'm severely visually impaired, however I don't want my friends to watch a movie where some of the side view has been chopped off.
7. I have a good social life and a girlfriend, but most of my expendable income which isn't much since I'm a poor college student goes towards DVDs.
8.If I buy something that doesn’t necessarily mean I’ll watch it right away, it may take awhile but I try to get through everything. I’ve had maybe 1 or 2 DVDs for more than a year that I haven’t watched.
9.Some movies and especially television box sets I will watch more than once.
10.I am more likely to buy something if it contains information related to the film such as a “making of documentary” or deleted sceens but that is not essential.

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...ias=wcwraiders

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks