What's new

What did you think of the 2013 Oscars? (1 Viewer)

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Edwin-S said:
Yeah, because having an animator host the Academy Awards is really dragging the show down to its lowest depth. After all, animation isn't real film making, right? The only thing is that McFarlane is a comedy writer/director/producer, so I would say that qualifies him for hosting duties as much as Billy Crystal and probably more than some of the dud actors that they have used as hosts. I doubt the man has done any animating in years.
Ok, I "neglected" to mention his comedy writing acumen, etc. He is still second rate in my book. I love animation just not his stuff. We are in agreement about most actors hosting this affair howwever. I think it was Anne Hathaway and James Franco who did the honors a few years ago. They made me wince though I like their work in movies otherwise for the most part.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Gary Seven said:
Seth McFarlane was the only reason why I watched this Hollywood self-indulgent show.  These type of shows need irreverence and I thought he did a great job.  The opening was great with a mixture of irreverence and typical glamour show schtick.  I loved the boobs song.  Interesting to see Bassey and Streisand perform.  I did not like that M.O. was a presenter.  That was a big WTF moment for me as well being totally out of place. I normally don't watch award shows and probably won't watch it again, but that depends who hosts in the future.
Ditto to your comments. Seth's humor is a bit off the wall and maybe upset some people, but for the most part it was pretty decent. Rather than watching this to see who's wearing the best dress, who wins the obscure awards like the boring documentaries, short fllms, etc. I watch mainly for the host and the musical bits, which were pretty decent this year.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
WillG said:
Not to mention that Franco seemed completely stoned throughout the whole thing.
My final word on the Franco/Hathaway Oscar show. Franco was obviously not the person for the job. Stoned..yes, robotic..yes. Hathaway was charming, and awkward because of her job trying to smooth out the hosting duties. I watch the awards to *see the fashion *see the actors *cheer for my favorite actors, movie performances, and all of the catagories that I am wrapped up in for the love of movies. The hosting gig falls near last place of my enjoyment of the awards. If you have a great host, well that is just icing on the cake my friends. Regarding Renee Zelwegger: I thought she the most beautiful as her role in Bridget Jones Diary. She added a few pounds, but she was one full figured attractive gal:
a0d9e173_untitled.png
b41a1ba0_3731301919_b44c25107c_o.jpeg
b2cd7e47_bridget-jones-diary2.jpeg
476f54d2_zellwegerR210607REX_468x781.jpeg
It's a shame that a little botox, and starving can make her so less attractive.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Regarding the placement of the orchestra over at Capitol. Imagine if they'd done this in 1968. That was the year Elmer Bernstein was conducting the show orchestra and came bounding up out of the orchestra pit to accept his Oscar for Thoroughly Modern Millie. Couldn't you just hear it: "Elmer Bernstein will be with us to accept his award in ten or 15 minutes while he walks over here from the next block. Until then, these words." (cut to commercials) Or maybe they'd have filmed his walk over. Couldn't have been duller than the show.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I liked MacFarlane, but I'm a fan of his off-color, semi-juvenile humor, so there you go. (On a related note, this morning on the radio I heard a funny song called "We Saw Your Junk," about male actors who've appeared nude in movies. I think it was from the Chelsea Handler TV show.) Daniel Day-Lewis' acceptance speech was one of the best I've ever seen. Just brilliant. Brief and hilarious! Bassey and Babs were nice surprises. On a more serious note, I recommend that you all google "open letter to Ang Lee." I didn't know what was going on with the VFX people until today, and I find it rather disturbing. The studio that won the Oscar is currently going through bankruptcy, and they're not the only one. They were about to mention it when the producers cut off their mic. Here in West Palm Beach, there was recently a big scandal when Digital Domain went under after getting a lot of local government support to open a studio and an educational facility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks