What's new

What ANCHOR BAY title should I review? (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The only one I'm interested in is Nosferatu The Vampyre as I will be picking this up on Tuesday. If you do review this title, focus on the German version (I assume disc 1) as this has more choices soundwise. The English version is in mono only (from what I've heard).
Disc 1 is the English version. Yes, it is in mono. Disc 2 is German DD 5.1 with optional English subtitles. It also has the commentary by director Werner Herzog and Norman Hill.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for Nosferatu and Mad Monster Party. Or if you're up to it, Ron, the entire Herzog box would be interesting...especially since you are unfamiliar with his work. I've only seen Aguirre so far, but I have Fitzcarraldo on deck to be watched soon. Believe me, even though your tastes may lean towards the mainstream, Herzog's films will stir something in any film fan. You may not like all of it, but it will certainly not be an experience you regret. And his commentary tracks are among the best ever recorded.

As for MMP, anything by Rankin Bass is essential 70s nostalgia and Mad Monster Party is one that has been long awaited by RB fans. Just in case anyone doesn't know this film is from the same guys who did the classic stop-motion Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer TV special.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll probably do Nosferatu (Disc 2)
and Mad Monster Party.
Would have liked to do more, but I receive
up to 10 DVDs a week total from all the studios
and only 4-5 titles get reviewed each week.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Ron, Herzog's masterpieces are not obscure. Granted, they are very different from contemporary, American mainstream, but they are also above and beyond 99% of it. It is my opinion that anybody who considers himself a movie buff has to view at least Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre The Wrath Of God.

Even though you won't review all of the discs Anchor Bay has sent you, I hope you will at least watch all of them.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
You do realize the English and German versions are completely separate movies, right? Reviewing only 1 disc would be an incomplete review. It's not like skipping a commentary. You're skipping part of the movie.
I couldn't disagree more. If you're talking about the two versions of Herzog's Nosferatu The Vampyre, then watching and reviewing the German version is certainly enough since it is the version Herzog set out to make (he was asked to shoot the film in English as well by international distributors). It is also vastly superior to the English version; to me, the latter has only curiosity value.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I recommend Aguirre: The Wrath of God (which is the highest
ranked movie by Herzog according to imdb) and Nosferatu.

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
My vote would go to Nosferatu and Mad Monster Party, altho I'd love to see all of them reviewed.
Good thing we still have DVD-Basen to find other reviews for us...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
and Mad Monster Party.
I can live with that. I will, however, also suggest that you review the German-language version of Nosferatu as it is the superior film. The film isn't dialogue-heavy so you needn't worry about being overwhelmed with subtitles if that's what you're worried about. :)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and Mad Monster Party.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can live with that. I will, however, also suggest that you review the German-language version of Nosferatu as it is the superior film.
The German-language version is the one that's on Disc 2.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
I couldn't disagree more. If you're talking about the two versions of Herzog's Nosferatu The Vampyre, then watching and reviewing the German version is certainly enough since it is the version Herzog set out to make (he was asked to shoot the film in English as well by international distributors). It is also vastly superior to the English version; to me, the latter has only curiosity value.
Not sure what your point is...

How do YOU know the German version is superior? Because you watched both, right? Otherwise, you couldn't say. Ron isn't going to know that unless he does the same.

So lets say Ron reviews the German version, and only mentions that the English version was filmed separately (what more can he say if he doesn't watch it?). Now, someone reads Ron reviews, buys it, watches the English version (I know a lot of people don't like subtitles) and dislikes it. Now Ron will lose credibility - at least to that person - as a reviewer.

I understand Ron has limited time to do reviews, but I think in this case it would be better for him to pass over Nosferatu instead of doing half a review for it. Of course, that's just my opinion...

Jim Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
whether you review it or not, you owe it to yourself to watch the amazing Fitzcarraldo. Then after you watch the movie ask yourself "I wonder how they did that." The answer is -- exactly the way you see it in the movie! After watching the movie you will absolutely need to see "Burden of Dreams" the documentary on the making of the movie.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
[if you only watch the German version] you're skipping part of the movie.
Frankly, I think this is nonsense. Herzog set out to make a German film with German actors. On the disc he specifically mentions how he thinks Murnau's original version is the best German movie of all time and how he tried not to put the title "Nosferatu" to shame with his version. I don't think making "a part of the movie" in English and a part in German would be the best way to honor the master's legacy.
From all this we (or at least I :)) can safely conclude that the German version contains not a part of the film but the whole film. The English version is just another version. That it is of less importance than the German one is merely my opinion, although one, I am happy to say, shared by almost everybody who loves this film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Terrance,

That was something that should not have been
said in that manner. I apologize.

Truth of the matter is, I have a fear about
reviewing more obscure titles because of my
limited knowledge of film.

I have always said from the getgo that my
reviews on this forum are done out of passion.

I don't feel comfortable reviewing material
that I have no knowledge of. Everyone here
certainly knows the minute I screw up on a
review, I have a half-dozen members take me
to task on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks