What's new

What’s the most imaginative or bizarre video game you’ve ever played? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Dr. Muto for PS2 (and soon GCN)

Name another game where you control a creepy, muttering, cursing, mad scientist who has just destroyed his planet. Oh, and you can genetically alter yourself into a rodent, a gorilla, a spider, etc etc. You have this 'taser' type shocking device that you use to shock these poor muppet looking creatures and throw them into circuit breakers to open doors.

It's actually a pretty decent game too.

~joseph

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Name another game where you control a creepy, muttering, cursing, mad scientist who has just destroyed his planet. Oh, and you can genetically alter yourself into a rodent, a gorilla, a spider, etc etc
Space Station Silicon Valley for N64 was very similar in it's concept.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
You know Brian, I have to say, every time you reply to a post I always get the feeling that you must have the most interesting stories in the entire industry all tucked away somewhere and you tease us with little bits of them once in a while ;)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Space Station Silicon Valley for N64 was very similar in it's concept.
Awesome game (cool that you remember that one also), for N64 if I'm not mistaken.

But Muto, for all of its conceptual similarities, still features an ingenious and utterly unique protagonist.

~j

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
You know Brian, I have to say, every time you reply to a post I always get the feeling that you must have the most interesting stories in the entire industry all tucked away somewhere and you tease us with little bits of them once in a while
I don't think I have any more stories than anyone else that's been in the industry for a few years... I generally had a really good four years at DMA & was lucky to work with some good folk on cool stuff, so I have a few tales to tell from it.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
The Swordquest series for the Atari 2600. I only played Fireworld and Earthworld, and they didn't seem to have any point. But they were a fun waste of time, and we were convinced that the creators were so very high when they made the carts.

Sev_Erouston

Agent
------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Muto for PS2 (and soon GCN)

Name another game where you control a creepy, muttering, cursing, mad scientist who has just destroyed his planet. Oh, and you can genetically alter yourself into a rodent, a gorilla, a spider, etc etc. You have this 'taser' type shocking device that you use to shock these poor muppet looking creatures and throw them into circuit breakers to open doors.

It's actually a pretty decent game too.

~joseph
------------------------------------------------------------

Joseph, I agree. I've been playing Dr. Muto too. It's really cool. How far have you gotten?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Speaking of games that owe a debt to Paradroid, I have to say that having met Quazatron on the Spectrum first I never really 'got' Paradroid itself. Quazatron was a great game; scrolling isometric graphics, a really great dirty aesthetic, and its not every game that makes you steal parts of the enemy to keep yourself in good health; far better than the 'leave a bunch of spinning guns and health packs lying around' approach.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Parappa the Rapper was definitely a breath of fresh air and Vib Ribbon was so simple yet great fun. I think pretty much anything from Jeff Minter involving Llamas has to go down as bizarre!!

Definitely agree with ICO, fantastic atmosphere. As for other bizarre games how about Wizball and Stretch Panic.

Paradroid is one of my all time fave games, who knows maybe another remake someday ...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Paradroid is one of my all time favourite games. Braybrook really knew his stuff - Gribly's Day Out, Uridium, Paradroid all stand out as classic C64 games.

You're right, Paul, how could we have a "most bizarre game" thread without Jeff Minter's pre-Jaguar games? Ancipital? Sheep In Space? Even the likes of Trip-A-Tron & Colourspace?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
As for other bizarre games how about Wizball and Stretch Panic.
Wizball - strange
Wizkid - utterly, completely insane.

And Paul is right - no man has done anyway near as much to promote ungulate gaming as Jeff Minter. Metagalactic Llamas Battle at the Edge of Time was brilliant.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Totally agree, Braybrook made some cracking C64 games ... i remember liking Fice and Ice on the Amiga too.
As for Wizball/Wizkid, Sensible Software were anything but Sensible ;) gotta love em for Cannon Fodder, Megalomania and Sensible Soccer though!!

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Immercenary for the 3DO. It was a VERY strange 1st person shooter. The whole idea was that the game world was exactly that - a game world. You supposedly put on this headset and "jacked into" the game grid. You then fought against other people, that are supposedly online too, to reach the level of number one. The story was that the game was so addictive that people were unable to take off the headset and were dying in real life. You had to go in and take out number one; the master control of the system.

You really had to play this one to know how friggin' weird it was.

BarryS

Second Unit
What about Super Mario Bros.? It's got walking mushrooms for crying out loud! That Miyamoto guy was smoking something...

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Back to the original post:

The Oddworld creators started with Abe's Oddysee back on the PS1. I loved that game (and the sequel: Abe's Exodus). Their documentation made it sound like they were planning a whole series of games based on this single detailed world. Kinda neat.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Their documentation made it sound like they were planning a whole series of games based on this single detailed world
They have a quintology planned out, but said that current hardware (at that time) wasn't "powerful" enough to do what they wanted, so they pumped out a sequel (Exoddus) so they could make more money before they went on to make the 'true' Abe 2.

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
There was a game for the Mattel Intellivision system where you had to enter a human body and travel through arteries or veins or through different organs and do what had to be done to save your patient. There were different levels of difficulty. Does anyone remember this one?
edit: MICROSURGEON
Found it on the great game database.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks