What's new

Well, here is the TV i'm having delivered on June 2nd. Tell what to expect..... (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
It's my first HD set and I cannot wait to play Gamecube and Xbox games on this sucker! I'm also looking forward to getting a progressive DVD player for some amazing looking movies. How much of a difference should I expect from my current non HD Sony set? Thanks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1470

I got it on a special sale price at Best Buy and price matched at Circuit City for a final price of $1200 plus tax! How's that for a deal? :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan.Becker

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I am getting one of those delivered tomorrow. Paid $1224 at best buy. I will let you know how it looks for Gamecube, DVD's and regular TV.

Mark

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I just got it today. Here are my extremely early impressions:

Size: Its big! It looks a lot bigger at home than it did in the store.

DVD's: Very nice so far (Progressive scan, 16x9 mode)

Gamecube: Looked OK w/ composite video. Component video cable arrives tomorrow.

Cable TV: Did not look that good. I only checked the local stations, which never had a real good picture. I will check the digital stations tonight.

It looks like it could really use some tweaking of the settings. Contrast and color were too high. I will calibrate w/ Avia tonight.

June 2 seems like an awfully long time to wait. The 32HS510 will be out by then. If I were you I would at least look at the 510 to see if it is substantially better.

Mark

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Thanks for the impressions Mark. Now you've got me thinking about that 510. :frowning: I was hoping no one did that to me. :) I don't want to start doubting my purchase. :) I know it's a good tv and i've heard nothing but great things about it for the past year. I sincerely doubt the 510 could be that much of an improvment considering the 500 was so highly recommended by everyone. What more could they add? Also keep in mind that I paid $1500 for the HS-500 and that included tax, delivery, and a 3 year extended warranty from Circuit City which includes in home repairs and THEY take the tv in to be fixed if it's necessary. They'll also replace it after a few repairs if that occurs. I got myself a pretty good deal in my opinion.

Also, does anyone know what the difference between the HV-500 and the HS-500? I checked Sony's website and the info they give seems to be incorrect. I bought the HS-500 and the Sony website lists the HS-500 as not having some of the features that I was told the tv had when I bought it. It just confused me.

Dan.Becker

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Here is an update:

DVD's: Very very nice.
HDTV: Very very nice.
Gamecube (thru component video cable): Very very nice. The difference between component video and composite video is astounding.

Regular TV: So-So. Channels with a vey good quality signal look nice, most others look not so nice. Digital noise is obvious to some degree or another on all the digital channels.

Build quality: Not so good. The A/V input panel on the back is so flimsy I worry about breaking it whenever I plug something in. It is more sensitive to magnetic fields than some tvs, making center channel speaker placement somewhat of an issue. The entire case feels flimsy compared to my old POS RCA TV.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks