What's new
World Wide Stereo

Weekly Roundup 9/23 (1 Viewer)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I went to my local Frys to pick up Babe "Pig Pack" but I noticed that only the first movie has the Widescreen sticker on the side of the box. The second film did not mention anything about being widescreen so I did not pick it up. Does anyone know if the second one is also widescreen??
No. On the bottom of the package it list the specs for each DVD. And sorry to say "Babe:Pig In The City" is 1.33:1 :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Saw it when I picked it up to look at in Best Buy today.

728x90

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
No. On the bottom of the package it list the specs for each DVD. And sorry to say "Babe:Pig In The City" is 1.33:1
Supposedly, the 2-pack is a repackaging of Pig in the city which was originally a dual aspect ratio disc (both 1.85 and 1.33) can anyone confirm?

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
It claims to be both on the box, haven't watched it yet though. the box is confusing to say the least.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the tip on the Pig Pack; Universal's home video website confirms this: when you click on the Pig Pack, it allows you to look at the details for Babe and Babe Pig in the City.
http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...p?titleId=2342

While the link for Babe shows the new version released 9/23, Pig in the City goes to the page for the old version:

http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...?childId=30232

It does show the old Pig in the City to be both anamorphic widescreen and P&S, though I haven't gone back and looked at the disc to confirm it.

So only the original need be purchased by me. :emoji_thumbsup:

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I was originally going to hold off on casper for a while .But, when i found out it has dts sound, i went to circuit city and pricedmatched , plus their additional discount, got it for 12.78 total !:emoji_thumbsup: :)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The Costco in Hawthorne, CA does NOT carry The Pig Pack, which is sorely disappointing as I made a specific trip to get it. It does have A Mighty Wind for $17.99 though.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Costco had Showgun for 49.99 and I love Lucy foe 69.99 for those that are interested.
You beat me to it!

For those who didn't catch that: Shogun is $49.99 at Costco! I Love Lucy - Season 1 is $69.99 at Costco! Furthermore, they have A Mighty Wind for $17.99, and Casper for $12.99. Holes ($17.99) and Daddy Day Care ($17.89) were both there per the Roundup.

NOT there was anything related to Babe. Nor did I find the cheap Paramount titles there, which I kind of expected after seeing the Lucy box set. Nothing else from this week's Roundup was there.

Due to my son being sick with a fever, I haven't made it to any other store today. So no idea about the rest of the chains. Hopefully I get a chance to find out tomorrow.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Went to Circuit City to pick up Babe SE and not surprisingly did not find it, nor were any of the people there the least bit helpful in that regard. This is the third Tuesday that I went to CC to get an advertised special and returned disappointed. Has anyone else had similar results? Do they have any obligation to carry an advertised special or is this normal bait and switch tactics for CC?

Joel

Paul D G

Screenwriter
No luck at all finding Babe in WS. Circuit City only had Babe in Full Screen (I asked and they didn't get any WS in). Headed off to Best Buy and all they had was the box set, and in FS only as well. They didn't even know the two movies were available seperately, but someone did run in back to look for it.

Will be hitting Target and WalMart on Wednesday...

-paul

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Went to Circuit City to pick up Babe SE and not surprisingly did not find it, nor were any of the people there the least bit helpful in that regard. This is the third Tuesday that I went to CC to get an advertised special and returned disappointed. Has anyone else had similar results? Do they have any obligation to carry an advertised special or is this normal bait and switch tactics for CC?

Joel
A few weeks ago I had a similar problem with an advertised special at CC for a videogame (Soul Caliber II). I took the ad to one of the managers and basically climbed all over his back until he grabbed the idiot who told me it wasn't in stock and wouldn't be in stock during the sale period, the mgr. dragged the emp. to a terminal to look up inventory on the item, discovered that there were 12 marked as being in-stock, determined that they were still in a box in the back room, then made the guy go get it and sell it to me.

Sounds like you ought to do the same. Feel free to use the phrase "bait and switch tactics" if necessary, and mention the name of your favorite local news channels' consumer advocate reporters if they appear to not want to get off their butts and help. Seriously, go there if needed. It probably is not a matter of trying to "take you" or anything as much as it is a lazyness about getting the stuff out of the backroom and onto the shelves. But motivation like this should get their butts in gear. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well said, Dave!

Don't want to hijack my favorite weekly thread, but OT....I was at my local BJs (warehouse store) last week. They were starting to gear up for an inventory and didn't have the item I wanted on the shelf. But, they had them located on a higher shelf--just outside of my reach. I got every excuse about how they wouldn't sell those to me because: they had been counted and selling some would disturb "the count", they didn't have anyone who can operate a forklift (I heard that one on two different days!), and on and on.

I finally had to move from a "front end supervisor" to a "manager" and suggest that maybe, then, they were going to have to find a way to refund my "member's fee" if they were refusing to sell me an item that they visibly had in stock. It seemed odd to me that I had to pay a service fee to get denied a purchase. Amazingly, they figured out a way to do it.

Now, Dave, on with the DVD bargains. Nothing for me this week...although Babe is a favorite of my wife's. And, now that its OAR..........

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
A few weeks ago I had a similar problem with an advertised special at CC for a videogame (Soul Caliber II). I took the ad to one of the managers and basically climbed all over his back until he grabbed the idiot who told me it wasn't in stock and wouldn't be in stock during the sale period, the mgr. dragged the emp. to a terminal to look up inventory on the item, discovered that there were 12 marked as being in-stock, determined that they were still in a box in the back room, then made the guy go get it and sell it to me.
Thanks, Dave. Sounds like your experience is quite similar with the only difference being your ability to aggressively get to the bottom of this incompetence/laziness. I believe this might work when I can clearly identify a difference between B&M and Internet pricing in the future. I don't want to go out of my way to spend my hard earned dollars at an establishment that has consistently been unable to perform their jobs. Particularly one that in the past was trying to kill the DVD format (as we now know it) with DIVX (remember those good old days?). In this case, DDD has the same item for a couple of cents less, without the tax and more importantly, without the hassle. I'll try your tactics in the future when I'm more incented to do so.

Joel

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Knowing how Circuit City are with new releases, I just headed to circuitcity.com to order a copy of the WS Babe.

Believe it or not, they have the FS Special Edition as 12.99, and the WS as 17.99! On top of that, its mis-listed as Babe Special Edition (FS) and says widescreen underneath in small letters.:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Those of you who've found the WS in stores - is it ringing up as 12.99?

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Me again - I decided to try calling Circuit City to see if a body could help me make the WS purchase for $12.99.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just got off the phone with a polite but totally useless rep, who kept putting me on hold (with godawful music) as she step by step checked out my points. It took her an eternity to find the weekly ad listing for Babe, and it didn't take long to realise that the call was totally useless. She said, "yes, the link is to Babe, which is on sale this week for $12.99, as a special edition."

"I know", I said - "and I want to buy one! But I want the WS."

"yes, well that's a special edition, and that's $17.99"

I'll spare you anymore. I ended with "I want to buy the special edition online with widescreen for $12.99. You can't help me do that, can you?"

"....................No."

"So if I can find it in one of your stores, its $5 cheaper than online? Don't you think that's wrong?"

etc...etc....

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
God help the staff of any store where Dave and Mike happen to be shopping at the same time. :D

Nothing for me this week. I'm still trying to get caught up from weeks past (odd situation in that I have the $$, but not the time to get to the store).

Carlos V III

Stunt Coordinator
I'm having no luck finding either "They Live" or "Eddie Izzard - Circle" in my area. :frowning: Has anyone been able to find these in a B&M store?
Guess it's time to hit an e-tailer and get my order in.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
This is the third Tuesday that I went to CC to get an advertised special and returned disappointed. Has anyone else had similar results?
I went to CC last week to purchase the new SACD, Blond On Blond. The clerk was no help at all. Told me the only SACDs they had were in the 3 or 4 small shelves. He wasn't interested in looking for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eliedisdisusa
Recent bookmarks