What's new

Weekly RoundUp 8-13-2013 (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Todd Stout said:
I just loaded the page and I can see all of the images.Boy... I'm glad that I ordered Body Double a couple of weeks ago. It's apparently sold out already. It arrived in the mail yesterday with a broken case. Oh well... I can replace that. I'm looking forward to seeing it again after 25+ years
Not quite sold out, but not available at SAE anymore. Apparently TT/SAE is now affiliated with TCM.com and have at least some inventory designated for sale through that site. At TCm.com there is a $5 markup (seems similar to TT sales on Amazon Marketplace), but it's still for sale there for those that still want it. Nobody knows exactly how many copies are in that pile, but hints are it may be around 500 or so intitially.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
JeremyLG said:
Related to Disney releases, I guess they have gotten away from their $3, $5 or even $8 off coupons. Haven't seen them in many, many months. Anyone else have any more info on that? I know that if you pre-order over at amazon they often have a digital coupon for a week or so. Other than that, that is all I normally see now.
Almost all the Disney coupons lately have gone through the Scott Paper site and it seems like coupons are mainly for new releases and not for Catalog titels anymore. I would difintely think Monsters U will have some sort of coupon.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
David Norman said:
Not quite sold out, but not available at SAE anymore. Apparently TT/SAE is now affiliated with TCM.com and have at least some inventory designated for sale through that site. At TCm.com there is a $5 markup (seems similar to TT sales on Amazon Marketplace), but it's still for sale there for those that still want it. Nobody knows exactly how many copies are in that pile, but hints are it may be around 500 or so intitially.
It's already turning up on ebay for prices upward of $89 to $129. How do you make a mediocre De Palma movie valuable? This is it.

JeremyLG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeremy
David Norman said:
Almost all the Disney coupons lately have gone through the Scott Paper site and it seems like coupons are mainly for new releases and not for Catalog titels anymore. I would difintely think Monsters U will have some sort of coupon.
Good to know, never been to that site before. Book marked now! Thanks David!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Hollywoodaholic said:
It's already turning up on ebay for prices upward of $89 to $129. How do you make a mediocre De Palma movie valuable? This is it.
But we are talking about Body Double, which mediocre DePalma did you mean...

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:

It's been marked sold out on SAE 2 or 3 times this week so presumptive panic. Now reports coming out that TCM orders may not be
going through this weekend so Sell Out may getting closer or even past.

I agree with Moe -- Body Double may be my 2nd Favorite DePalma.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Just an FYI - I am finishing up my review of Shane this evening (when I get home from work). In short, the disc is impressive and fans should be most pleased.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Moe Dickstein said:
But we are talking about Body Double, which mediocre DePalma did you mean...
It's not critically ranked as one of his better efforts if you follow such appraisals. Personally, to show where I'm coming from, my all-time favorite De Palma is Phantom of the Paradise, which I think is a priceless classic parody of horror cinema, Hitchcock, AND music genres of the time. But above Body Double, I'd also put Carrie, Blow Out, Dressed to Kill, Sisters, Scarface and Carlito's Way. The critics never warmed to his very technique-driven (and some of that borrowed) style of cinema, but all of us former film students can appreciate it. I was actually at the premiere screening of Phantom of the Paradise (free champagne!), and have bowed at its genius ever since. But where's the domestic Blu-ray?!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Yeah Phantom is 2nd tier to me, but BDP is one of my top favorites. Probably Blow Out / Dressed To Kill / Snake Eyes are my favorites with the group of Sisters/Body Double/Raising Cain right behind. I even love Mission To Mars. My username is from a DePalma film...

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Moe Dickstein said:
Yeah Phantom is 2nd tier to me, but BDP is one of my top favorites. Probably Blow Out / Dressed To Kill / Snake Eyes are my favorites with the group of Sisters/Body Double/Raising Cain right behind. I even love Mission To Mars. My username is from a DePalma film...
Okay... I had to look that up. I never saw "Wise Guys." But Gene Siskel did and look what he had to say about that back in 1986... (and Scarface and Body Double)...

April 18, 1986| By Gene Siskel.

Big laughs, foul language to the point of absurdity and one hilarious, screaming performance atop another combine to make ``Wise Guys`` one of the funniest times you will have at the movies this year.

Surprisingly, the man behind the laughs is director Brian De Palma, for a long time a would-be master of suspense, thrills and gore. His last two thrillers, ``Scarface`` and ``Body Double,`` were bloody bores.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Gene sure had weird taste. Roger was usally more spot on. Wise Guys is funny but its not at all a great film and it's very idiosyncratic

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
Okay... I had to look that up. I never saw "Wise Guys." But Gene Siskel did and look what he had to say about that back in 1986... (and Scarface and Body Double)...
Which I guess would mean Gene wouldn't want to buy it. Ebert hated Porky's, somebody even hated Toy Story.

Blow Out is my favorite DePalma followed by Body Double and a little further behind Dressed to Kill.

I take that back -- Carrie is my all time favorite DePalma, but I have to separate those into different genre. It's just too hard to compare Mission Impossible to Body Double, to The Fury to Carlito's Way.

Twilight Time update -- TCM,com supposedly had less than 50 copies left earlier today so this is getting very close to an official sellout.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Posted this evening. I am having the correct aspect ratio added to our review template (so the aspect ratio appears blank right now), but ratio is noted in the review itself.

Neil Middlemiss said:
Just an FYI - I am finishing up my review of Shane this evening (when I get home from work). In short, the disc is impressive and fans should be most pleased.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Spent the weekend trying to use the $15 off coupon on Once Upon a Time S2 blu-ray, and discovered there is apparently little logic to which Walmart stores carry a given title.

Had no luck at the local Walmart, which isn't entirely surprising as it's only about half the size of a typical Walmart store so most departments are downsized and carry fewer selections.

On Saturday, I drove to a Walmart SuperCenter that's about 35 miles away. I figured if any store had it, it would be the Super Walmart. No luck there. There was a shelf tag for the regular DVD version (but no copies), and no shelf tag at all for the blu-ray version. Asked an associate and while she tried her best to help me search, there was no success.

On Sunday, decided to drive to another regular non-super Walmart about 40 miles away. Since the Super Walmart didn't have the title, I didn't expect to find it here. But lo and behold, multiple copies of the blu-ray were on the shelf. So I ended up being able to use the coupon after all and got my set for $29.96 (after coupon). Also found the title at the Best Buy near this store, but at $8 higher price (so much for having the "Best" Buy).

So, it goes to show, despite the name and seemingly sound logic, a "Super" Walmart does not always have the best selection.

So how was your weekend? :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
So, it goes to show, despite the name and seemingly sound logic, a "Super" Walmart does not always have the best selection.

So how was your weekend? :D
Super, thanks! Erm...no. Not "super!"

Uh....never mind. :biggrin:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Frezon said:
Super, thanks! Erm...no. Not "super!"

Uh....never mind. :biggrin:
:lol:

Of course, I probably burned about $16 in gas to use my $15 coupon. But this was rationalized by realizing that Saturday was a completely gorgeous day and perfect for a drive through some rural parts of Vermont, so it was good that I was out of the house, enjoying this perfect summer day. Then Sunday, I had a free movie ticket I needed to use before "Percy Jackson" fades from theaters, so I used that at the theater near the Walmart store so that would not have been a "wasted" trip, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks