What's new

Weekly RoundUp 10-19-2010 (1 Viewer)

thetoonguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Braun
My Bionic Woman Season One purchase went smoothly. I went to Best Buy with the printout from Barnes and Noble's $22.79 online sale price from last night/early this morning (it has since gone up a little to $23.99) and got a price match. FYI, I went to Target after that and they had 2-3 copies priced at $29.99 each.

Ron Braun

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ I do that every single Saturday night before I go to bed. That way I know what I want if I hit BB on Sunday or Tuesday. This week, for example, they have Silence of the Lambs for 9.99 (quite frequently, actually), both Fantastic Four movies for 9.99 each, the first X Files movie for 9.74 and some other specials which are also store prices (Daybreakers, The Crazies and Drag Me to Hell for 12.99). I plug those into my Google calendar so I have prices and what I want whenever I'm by a computer.

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator
Amish Country - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Real Name
Troy Frey
Awesome! A big bonus for me is, the office where I work is basically right across the street from both a Best Buy and an Ultimate Electronics store, which also has a under $10 bargain-BD shelf which they rotate new titles to every week. I just mosey on over and hit-up both stores at least once a week after I've checked the BB website and the UE weekly flyer on their website... Heheh, good thing I'm single now, at least I no longer have any "wife factor" to worry about curtailing any wild BD purchasing sprees...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've also been going down to Fry's every Saturday for a few weeks to find pretty nifty sales. The BD two-pack of Dr. No and Quantum of Solace for just under $20, for example. I just need to stay out of these stores since I have absolutely no will power!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by FreyTheater
Don't fight it - just give-in and accept the inevitable... we're all hopelessly addicted.

The paycheck never stretches as far as I want it to, with this addiction and wanting to put money away and all that other stuff. I have to stay away from those shiny discs!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I tried to pick up Dark Knight at Target after work yesterday, but they were all sold out by the time I got there. This is the biggest problem I have with that chain, because they shelve very small quantities of given titles.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
My local Target appeared to be following Best Buy's recent CD shelving reduction. Today the CD shelving was becoming bare, as if they were purposefully not restocking so they could disassemble the shelves in a few days. Since they'd already expanded their BluRay aisles, I think this is more about just trying to eliminate the CD section before the holidays, than anything having to do with movies.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I needed to stop by my bank, and the nearest location was an island building in the parking lot of a local Target, so I tried again today and they had two copies of TDK Blu, still at $10. I'm a happy camper.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Was going to order the Psycho BD from B&N's online store -- they still have it at ~$16.20, and I have a $5 gift card (from preordering the HtTYD BD) + 15% coupon (+ 10% cashback for using Discover Card) and free (member's) express shipping -- but I'm now leaning heavily toward importing the regular UK version instead (unless I can score the steelbook at a moderate premium).

Amazon UK currently has the regular UK BD for ~£10.40, which comes out to ~$17US (and the VAT deduction pretty much cancels out shipping cost when ordering multiple items).

For anyone who's not aware, the UK BD for Psycho comes w/ the Hitchock TV episode: Lamb to the Slaughter as an extra that's missing from the US version. It also comes w/ the lossless mono track instead of lossy mono track.

Only things "extra" that the US version has over the UK version seems to be Universal's "My Scenes" feature and BD-Live. If Universal bothers to offer substantive extras via BD-Live, that might be of interest, but so far, they never do -- and having it enabled just slows the player down (often times to a crawl). And don't know who bothers to use "My Scenes" either.

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

-- but I'm now leaning heavily toward importing the regular UK version instead.

Amazon UK currently has the regular UK BD for ~£10.40, which comes out to ~$17US (and the VAT deduction pretty much cancels out shipping cost when ordering multiple items).

For anyone who's not aware, the UK BD for Psycho comes w/ the Hitchock TV episode: Lamb to the Slaughter as an extra that's missing from the US version. It also comes w/ the lossless mono track instead of lossy mono track.

If I decide to replace my DVD of Psycho, I would likely go with the UK version...solely for the lossless mono track. Lack of an uncompressed audio track is what keeps Terminator 3 and the new Grindhouse release off of my shelves, too.

I have had one experience with ordering the UK blu of Sweeney Todd--which was released months before the US version. I got it from amazon.uk and the transaction was simple and quick.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Lack of an uncompressed audio track is what keeps Terminator 3 and the new Grindhouse release off of my shelves, too.

Order the Sony UK release of T3 if/when you order Pyscho. It has a Dolby TrueHD track.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ScottJH Do you know if both discs will play on my Region A machine? I figure they both probably would, but amazon.uk has a weird "Region 2 DVD" notation on its T3 Blu listing.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The UK version of T3 BD is region-free according to blu-ray.com and this region code info site:

http://www.blurayregioncodes.com/index.php?region=b

No reason to doubt them especially since it's a Sony catalog title -- and pretty much all Sony catalog titles have been region free so far w/ no indication of future forseeable change in policy. Also, Sony UK titles tend to get the most attractive pricing to boot. Warner UK catalog titles are also region-free in general w/ occasional exceptions, eg. the LotR BD trilogy is a rare case where the UK version is region locked. Most Universal UK catalog BDs and many Fox and Paramount ones are also region free.

In most cases, UK released catalog titles from the major studios tend to be region free. But of course, it's always best to verify before ordering.

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks! As always, you da man, Man!

I do very little importing...but I did have a good experience with that Sweeney Todd release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks