What's new

Way off topic- Car Subwoofers (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I know that this probably isn't the place for this but i really don't know where to put it. I'm interested in putting a new system in my car once i get it... and first of all.. i definitely want as little of the boomyness common with most subs in my car... how is the hsu asw1202m as a music sub... second of all.. if thats not good... what is... third... what would be a good resource for more information on car audio.. lastly.. anyone have suggestions for regular speakers as well? i really like the sound of my klipsch speakers at home and i was told that image dynamics makes horn speakers for cars... but how is the quality of these etc...
and if this is in the wrong place.. just move it to the right spot :P

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
There is also a lot of excellent help available at Link Removed . For advice on sound quality in a car, this is probably the best place to go. Many of the other forums lean more heavily toward SPL. FWIW, I have been posting at EliteCarAudio for several years.

J

John Morris

Hi Joe,
As a proud member of teamROCS, I would recommend visiting the tROCS site , and the retailers listed there for info and sales. As for subs, I've always liked the JL Audio W6 subs in a sealed box for good tight, yet strong car bass. You may also want to take a look at the new JL Audio W7 series of subwoofers.
------------------
Take Care,
merc

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
I tried putting my twin 20-39 SVS Subs in the trunk, but alas, it didn't work out too well.
Link Removed
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I actually have (2) 10" Alumapro subwoofers in my 2001 Acura CL Type-S.
They are driven by a 400 Watt Kicker amplifier.
The box is removable if I need to haul anything BIG in the trunk.
The rest of my equipment is the factory BOSE stuff.
It sounds great on the inside, but it rattles the HELL out of the trunk & rear spoiler.
Shawn S

don't know if ron or tom will read this thread, but, if they do:
Has SVS ever thought of venturing into Car audio? I am sure they could come up with something better than the Bazooka Tubes using their cylinder designs. I certainly wouldn't want them to spend any time on car audio until the home lineup is complete. But, if they did every had a car sub, I'd get one!
sdg
------------------

PomingF

Second Unit
I recently added an IDQ-10 V2D4 SW & JBL BP300.1 amp combo mounted on an R/T 315-10 box to my existing system. The JBL amp has most if not all of the crossover features to incorporate into virtually any systems. Prior to starting the SW project, I did browse & post on sites like sounddomain.com & caraudioforum.com for ideas.
PF

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I have a 12" Shiva in a 2.2cft cylinder,sealed,driven by Punch "V" series amp [350w@4ohm],sits in my VW Jetta's trunk.Yeah I got a big trunk alright.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Well if you look at the sub that is in the svs pc or cs subs, it looks a lot like an audiomobile mass 2012. They can be purchased on Sounddomain and at audiomobile's web site.

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the Hsu Research ASW1201 on the hsuresearch.com website. It's a killer sub for $270, shipped. Tom Nousaine reviewed it and called it the "Bargain of the Century." It's cylindrical, like the other Hsu subs and the SVS models, so it's definitely a proven design.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Great picture Shawn. :)
I tried that too but could not close my trunk.
Anyways,,I just wired my Intrepid up with some Alpine Subs in the trunk. Dual 12", Double voice coils and twin 300 watt Mono's to drive them.
Sounds great except you can see out the rear view mirror as it vibrates too much.
Sure is great fun though, having some decent Audio in the car.
As for Boominess, the Alpine deck gives you very good control over the bass management which basically gives you the freedom to have a nice blend of bass or a sock and shock sound,,pretty flexible anyways.
My%20Pictures0009.jpg

------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
Updated new pictures!
[Edited last by Trevor Schell on August 18, 2001 at 12:06 AM]

EricaC

Auditioning
Yup, way off topic. Plus car subwoofers should be banned. If I have to hear one more hormone-addled adolescent announcing his presence to the world with some inane bass line I think I'll scream.
Sorry to vent. Major pet peeve.
Erica
Aren't the roads noisy enough?

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Well, Erica, thats why i want to find out as much as i can for quality... not just that boomy crap that i hear all the time.
Phuong, do you actually own a ASW1202? I read the reviews on the website, but i haven't exactly heard anything else from any people that own them... if so, what do you think about the quality?

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I use a Kicker Substation bandpass 10" sub in the trunk of my Toyota Camry powered by a Kicker amp.
Gives added body to the sound of my Boston Acoustic speakers.
I'm not into thump but overall SQ.
------------------

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
since everyone else is posting about what they have, I thought I would do the same. I am currently using a JL audio 12w0 in a ported box powered by an older rockford fosgate amp, with a set of JL audio 5.25XR components powered by a Nakamichi amp. This is all SQ oriented not SPL.
Has SVS ever thought of venturing into Car audio? I am sure they could come up with something better than the Bazooka Tubes using their cylinder designs. I certainly wouldn't want them to spend any time on car audio until the home lineup is complete. But, if they did every had a car sub, I'd get one!
The big difference with car audio is that things tend towards being very custom made so as to be able to integrate the equipment in to the car an prefab enclosures do not lend themsleves to this. For an example I am currently in the process of fabricating my own custom fiberglass enclosure, which is molded to the contours of my trunk so that I can retain as much possible trunk space will meeting internal volume requirements for my sub driver. In other words it is gonna be sweet.
[Edited last by Jeff_Krueger on August 18, 2001 at 05:30 PM]

Ian Wilson

Agent
I'll tell you what I'd like to have that's a 12 gauge shotgun - for the sub not the driver you understand... How do you define quality when all you can hear driving by is the bass - boomy or not its bloody annoying.
Hopefully science will confirm my suspicions one day that listening to high spl at low freqs while driving is natures way of cleaning up the gene pool. I'm just not sure who's getting removed the young gentlemen at the wheel or grandad whose pacemaker just imploded as the pressure wave passed through his body
biggrin.gif

Ian

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Well the best way to tight bass in my opinion is a sealed enclosure. I had a single 12" kaption in a 1.25cuft ported box. with a 160rms amp(rockford 160A2) I hit about 110db at 35hz. Recently, I switched it out with a new rockford sub. All I had to do is plug the port and I now have a sealed sub. way more controlled and I easily hit 120db with the same amp. I also have 4" 2-ways in the front and 6.5" 2-ways in the rear a pioneer deck and a rockford 200A4 powering them in my 90' camry.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Frankly, I am somewhat interested in this as well, as I do like a little bass... but certainly do not wish to be bouncing down the street.
FWIW, though, given the junk I get to hear on the road, the hearing aid industry must be the next stock opportunity...
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks