What's new

Warners / TCM Archives: Forbidden Hollywood Collection Vol.1 in December (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Count me among those that were expecting a larger set (5-6 films). Anyway it's still a must buy for me as it includes one my favorite pre-codes, Baby Face. :emoji_thumbsup:

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
The thing I loved about the pre-Code films was that they were so refreshingly frank yet laissez-faire about sex and social relationships in general. I mean, if Baby Face had been done in 1935 instead of '33, the idea of Lily having a black best friend (Theresa Harris as Chico) would've been vetoed by the censors. Also, they prove that the Depession-era Americans weren't represssed as well. I mean, look at what was happening over at Paramount with Mae West and Marlene Dietrich- after Hays, Breen & Co. stepped in, you wouldn't see anything that sexually ribald or open until people like Billy Wilder did films like Some Like It Hot and Kiss Me, Stupid. You even get to see unrepentant pre-Stonewall gays and lesbians onscreen mingling with other characters openly before the Production Code wiped away all ideas of alternative lifestyles for the next thirty years. Yes, an all-too brief time of sexual freedom explored on screen!

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
Will I buy this................of course.................... but the lack of extras on a TCM Archive release is a MAJOR disappointment. When this set was first hinted to it was said to have a documentary at least.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Apparently, the press release indicated an incorrect list price, which should be the stradard for the series, which is $10 lower.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Yeah there could of been more features, but we are getting 2 versions of Baby Face, as well as the 2 other films.

I'm really looking forward to this series.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Wilder's hero, Ernst Lubitsch managed to work a little fun into his "post-code" films, as did Preston Sturges.

Regards,

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
TCM did a documentary on pre-code era women, which would have made a nice addition. Even with the lack of extras I'll pick this one up. As others have stated, I was hoping for a bigger set but this will do for now. Hopefully some early Loretta Young titles or NIGHT NURSE shows up next.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Doesn't matter to me because I'm jumping all over this release. The specifications of this release look very enticing and I can't wait until I watch it. There really isn't enough Stanwyck nor Harlow on dvd.

Crawdaddy

Corey

Screenwriter
those are norma shearer's legs on the front of the cover. it was from the first photoshoot she ever had with george hurrell.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I bought this set today.

It's a small goof, but something I just noted: the Forbidden Hollywood collection is 3 movies on 2 disks. Disk 1 holds Red Headed Woman and Waterloo Bridge, and disk 2 holds Baby Face.

The disk labels show pictures from the movies, and these match the movies that are supposed to be on each disk.

The disks themselves are reversed. Disk 1 is actually Disk 2, and vice versa.

Corey

Screenwriter
i'll be buyin this today off amazon. stil kinda ticked they didn't use 6 movies.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I just watched the pre-release version of Baby Face. The image quality was generally very good, though the sound was a bit muffled.

However I think there is a minor error, I think the labeling of my discs is wrong. I thought Disc 2 was meant to have the two versions of Baby Face, however the disc I had to play was the one marked as Disc One.

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
I just got my copy today (wish they'd lose those stupid security tags....I hate 'em).

My disc 1, with Stanwyck's picture (listed as Disc two) plays "Red Headed-Woman" and "Waterloo Bridge", and visa versa.

I'm surprised they made this mistake (I checked and the disc 1 does play "Baby Face" - I didn't get the same program on both discs!

I haven't watched "Baby Face" yet, but I've seen it on TCM a few times and love it. Why didn't they simply insert the cut pieces into the better print and only offer one version?

Also, ditto on my dieing for "Convention Girl", but please add Mae Clarke's other tour-de-force......"NIGHT WORLD"! What a wonderful, naughty little film that one is. It's got everything; Mae Clarke, Lew Ayers, Boris Karloff playing quite a different villian type and it's even got a Busby Berkeley number in it!!!!

Also, don't forget Bette Davis' "Ex-Lady".

If WB is gonna make this a series, than there's plenty of pre-code goodies for them to choose from.

Has anybody else gotten the disc with the artwork transposed?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I would love a continuation of this series. Mine should be arriving soon. Lately I've been on a 1930s kick, having gotten the two recently-released Cary Grant boxsets. Awesome stuff. Those were the days :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks