What's new

WARNER RELEASING 4 FILM FAVORITES - URBAN ACTION COLLECTION JAN 12 (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Warner is releasing a 4 FILM FAVORITES: URBAN ACTION COLLECTION Jan 12, which includes the 70's films Hot Potato, Black Belt Jones, Three the Hard Way and Black Samson. None of which have been released on DVD. List price:14.98 which means it will be around $10. most places. I found this on DVD Empire.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
This is a definite purchase for me!

I do find it funny that Jim Kelly gets more respect from Warner than John Garfield, Robert Taylor, Cary Grant.......

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Wonder which cut of Three the Hard Way they'll be using. I've seen one where the motorcycle riding scene is so long that they have to change music in the middle.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jay E /forum/thread/294268/warner-releasing-4-film-favorites-urban-action-collection-jan-12#post_3620775

They've made some atrocious decisions with regards to their library... while top notch film noirs, westerns and screwballs are shuffled into the archives, WHV has been issuing poverty row karloffs and other b-grade stuff that I wouldn't otherwise complain about if they'd actually release the a list pictures that they own on commercial disc. It's mind boggling that they think they can move more copies of Black Belt Jones than they can their classic film library of star actors and direcotrs. Best of luck to 'em on this one...

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
It's not unusual for Warners or other studios to release black themed films in January since February is Black History Month. It's been going on for several years now.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
So all we need is an act of congress to pass a classic cinema month and we're in business!

Seriously though, I'm in for this set. I'm a big fan of exploitation cinema, particularly when it's priced to move as this is.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
"[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]It's mind boggling that they think they can move more copies of Black Belt Jones than they can their classic film library of star actors and direcotrs."[/COLOR]

I mentioned this DVD (and its price) to a few friends and they're ready to put down $10 for these Jim Kelly epics. Maybe there would be more demand for classic films if they were sold at $2.50 a title.

Although Warner should have used the 4th slot for Enter the Dragon to give Jim Kelly true context. But they dropped the price of the Blu-ray so anyone who cares can nab the Bruce Lee masterpiece without busting the bank.

IanD

Stunt Coordinator
Very happy to see Black Belt Jones get a DVD. I just wish Warners would do a proper Enter The Dragon DVD. All those extras and yet the music tracks are screwed around and the formerly deleted footage has Bruce Lee dubbed by an American fanboy despite the audio tracks still existing.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'd be willing to bet that the DVD/BD of Black Dynamite comes out from Sony within a week of this release. Gotta use the cross promotions when available.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
It is looking like I will not be receiving a review screener of this set, but since my review load is otherwise pretty light, I will pick it up on street date and post a forum review anyway.

Regards,

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I got it yesterday. It is 2 disc. Disc one is Dual layered w/Hot Potato and Black Belt Jones on same side. The films looked as I expected. Not pristine but actually good in a nostalgic way. They look and sound like 70's films. Disc 2 is also dual layered w/Black Samson and the terrific looking Three The Hard Way. "Black Belt" has the original 70's WB logo opening the film and "Three..." had the Allied Artists logo opening the film. There are no extras and no chapter menus. Overall this is a great deal and I cannot wait to really dig into these films this weekend.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I watched "Three the Hard Way" last night. The A/V quality is good beyond any reasonable expectations. This is the same 89 minute version that is the only one that I have ever seen, but my understanding is that there is a version a few minutes longer that fixes a few of the weird edits such as the abrupt cut from the guys driving away in Jim Kelly's Lincoln to the car wash fight.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks