What's new

Warner Bros Vindicated... (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I suspect Warners will never win around here though. Their catalogue is so vast that whatever classic they release there will inevitably be someone who complains "Yeah, they released "Fill In The Blank" but what about "Put Your Favorite Title In This Space" or "I Want This Movie Now"?"
If Warner would release 5 classic, (pre 1980), titles a month, you wouldn't hear a peep of complaint from me ever again. At least that way, I would have higher hopes that a lot of titles I want would eventually make it on DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ken,

Understand your point of view but I'm not ready to give Warner a pat on the back just yet.

Jack,

I think this thread is fine just here for now.

Crawdaddy

Tim RH

Second Unit
You guys don't seem to realize all of the extensive restoration work (digital or otherwise) that goes into these releases, not to mention the fact that most of them get very good supplements. Sure, they could release a dozen classic titles per month, but then the quality would suffer badly. Warner should be praised for treating their catalog titles with the DVD respect that they deserve. It probably cost them quite a bit of green, but they still keep their prices pretty low. I don't see any other studios doing as good work as they do. I just know that there would be a lot more people complaining if the transfer of their favorite films were sub-par.

So which do you want more: quality or quantity?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Understand your point of view but I'm not ready to give Warner a pat on the back just yet.
That's more than fair. My own response is no stronger than "encouraged" and "cautiously optimistic". What I don't get is people who are so actively negative about an improving state of affairs. It's not early 2000 anymore, its early 2002.
Personally, I would like to see Warner license some of their catalog titles to the likes of Criterion, Anchor Bay, or Image (I would add Synapse to the list for some of WB's genre films based on quality of output, but they are probably not playing in the same medium to high-volume distribution fat-cash ballpark). If they simply will not go this route, then the next best thing is to increase their output which seems to be happening.
In the meantime, I have enough titles to buy. :)
Regards,

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
So which do you want more: quality or quantity?
Columbia releases a lot more classic titles than Warner does and I've never had a complaint about their quality (not counting their new full fram policy). Also, not every movie needs extensive restoration. I have many of Warner's films on Laser and I'm very happy with the quality. It's all a matter of how much money, time & effort a studio wants to put into releasing their older titles, that's all. For the budget they are allocating, I'm sure that's all the films they can release.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Columbia releases a lot more classic titles than Warner does and I've never had a complaint about their quality
I would like to register my complaints about the quality of "From Here to Eternity", "On the Waterfront", and "The Muppet Movie". Those audio/video masters were not "ready for DVD". I have no complaints about "Funny Girl" or "His Girl Friday", though. :)
Has Columbia been releasing 5 catalog titles a month lately?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Has Columbia been releasing 5 catalog titles a month lately?
Yes, they release about that many a month. Considering their library, I would be happy with 2 or 3 catalog titles a month from Columbia.
And I had no problems with the transfers you mentioned, obviously you're one of those complainers:D

Greg_M

Screenwriter
What Warners has put out over the last six month's time MGM/UA puts out in one month's time. Warner needs to get moving on the slow as snails pace it continues to have.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Warner should be praised for treating their catalog titles with the DVD respect that they deserve.
Putting aside the occassional non-OAR release (a sin that Columbia is far more guilty of these days) I happen to agree. I'm at the point where I don't hesitate to pre-order a Warners catalog title I'm interested in. With Columbia, I'm more likely to wait for reviews of the transfer.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Why is it that when a studio doesn't release a title right away, you think they want to screw the customers?
Do you think WB hates Citizen Kane so much that they tracked down a fine-grain master from Europe and then spent a good bit of money to have it digitally restored? If they released the old battered Turner print in 1997, would you have think they love the film so much, they didn't restore it? :)
Doctor Zhivago was going to be released in 1999 with just a short featurette, although with an anamorphic transfer. This wouldn't be restored and wouldn't have the LD supplements. Because they waited until they could do it right, we got a great disc. I'd like to see one person who would want the cancelled bare-bones disc in favor of the later 2-disc edition.
If you want to see what happens when quantity is more important than quality, take a look at all those 1997 discs issued by WB.
Plus, WB actually has a surprising amount of classics on DVD. Even with 200-300 catalog titles out, they still own around 4000. Even with licensing to Criterion or Anchor Bay, a studio would still have to worry about a lot of titles.
I'll take a Citizen Kane before a Goodfellas (original release) any day.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I think it is a step in the right direction:

The Good:

-Friends season box set

-Smallville coming out

-Batman:Animated coming out

The Bad:

-No word on Babylon 5 season sets

-No Smallville season set

-Need more Batman:animated

-Snapper cases

-No Batman(1989) or Beetlejuice Special Editions

-More tv product needed.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
But Warner still puts out P&S crap whenever they think they can get away with it (e.g. Prince and the Showgirl). They're still THE WORST DVD studio in my eyes. One or two titles a month is no way to release the largest film library in existence. If they need to hire more people to do restoration, they should do that. It's not like AOL is hurting for cash.

And Warner is by no means vindicated if they've released European Vacation in a censored version (with "fuck" changed to "forget", as one poster in the EV review thread has stated.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
This will be my last post on the subject.

Not that I don't mind discussing these points, I just think that we have a difference of opinion that can't be resolved by our posts. I really do feel that Warner can do a lot more with their catalog titles. Many people feel that 2 or 3 is the most catalog titles a studio can release per month while maintaining a high quality. I don't believe that's the case. And even if they can't then they should allow their films to be seen on DVD by licensing them to another studio who has no problem releasing quality catalog DVDs at more than 2 or 3 a month. 10 years from now, while I'm still waiting to see 100's of films on DVD or HDVD by Warner, we'll probably still be having the same arguement.

I'm a big film fanatic and I will not watch films on T.V. or on VHS. My only options are Laser & DVD to see the films I love. I love my laserdiscs! Most of the B&W films I own I have no problem watching on laser. I feel fortunate that I own them on laser, because I know that it will be many, many years before I ever see them on DVD. Regretably, others aren't so lucky.

And I know I'm in the minority in saying this but I'd rather see a film in good condition on DVD, (instead of great), than not seeing it at all. That's the arguement for me, not quality vs quantity.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If one's only alternative is VHS, I could understand wanting Warner to take the MGM "perfect is the enemy of good" approach. Since I have a laserdisc collection, I would rather have them take the time to get it as good as 480 lines of NTSC video can look for the DVD. In the meantime, I can watch my laserdiscs. :)
Sadly, I doubt that Warners has listened to any of the fan polls or websites. They usually just laugh or roll their eyes at such things, regardless of how big the website.
Based on their response on Wonka, Cats & Dogs, Friends Season One, and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, I would say that they are as responsive as anyone to fan criticisms. Let me know when you get your corrected Annie from Columbia. :)
Regards,

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
But Warner still puts out P&S crap whenever they think they can get away with it (e.g. Prince and the Showgirl). They're still THE WORST DVD studio in my eyes. One or two titles a month is no way to release the largest film library in existence. If they need to hire more people to do restoration, they should do that. It's not like AOL is hurting for cash.
Actually, it's probably correct. In 1957, there still was a mix of different aspect ratios being used. A few other films from this period were shown in either 1.33:1 or 1.66:1.

WB probably could have matted this film to 1.66:1, but keeping the mattes off would be just as fine. Jack Cardiff's last few films before this one were filmed in either 1.96:1 VistaVision or 2.35:1 CinemaScope. His last regular 35mm film made before this one was made at 1.33:1 (Barefoot Contessa) and the one he made afterwards was Legend of the Lost, in Technirama. It's very likely this film was made for 1.33:1 with a possibility for 1.66:1 matting at the most. And the filming was done between August and November of 1956...The film has to be either 1.33:1 or matted 1.66:1 since Prince and the Showgirl was filmed on plain 35mm film without anamorphic lenses or VistaVision.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Although I still have concerns about Warner, I do think they are getting better. Let's say I'm cautiously optimistic for the moment.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Since I have a laserdisc collection, I would rather have them take the time to get it as good as 480 lines of NTSC video can look for the DVD. In the meantime, I can watch my laserdiscs.
Thanks for posting this. It helps me better understand how you feel about Warner.

I own over 200 lasers of Warner owned films. My feelings about Warner are really more for the benefit of those that don't own laser than for myself.

Tim RH

Second Unit
HorrorDraculaMenu.jpg

From DVDReview.com:
Hammer Horror fans get another serving from Warner Home Video
April 5, 2002
Hammer Horror fans will certainly be excited to learn that Warner Home Video has finally scheduled additional releases of these cult classics for release on DVD.
Terence Fisher’s 1958 masterpiece Horror Of Dracula, the film that spawned the entire Hammer Dracula series of films, has been slated for release later this year. It established Christopher Lee as the seminal Dracula actor of the time and became an instant fan favorite through its atmospheric, gothic cinematography, glorious music, superb dramaturgy and of course the horrors….
After Jonathan Harker attacks Dracula at his castle, the vampire travels to a nearby city, where he preys on the family of Harker's fiancée. The only one who may be able to protect them is Dr. van Helsing, Harker's friend and fellow-student of vampires, who is determined to destroy Dracula, whatever the cost.
Also finally arriving on DVD is The Curse Of Frankenstein, Terence Fisher’s 1957 inspired but loose Frankenstein adaptation, which was a milestone in Hammer Studios’ career. It lead to the licensing of the Universal monster characters for exploration in various movies. The rest is history, as they say…
“The Curse Of Frankenstein “ is the retelling of the classic tale of Frankenstein. In this version, Baron Victor Frankenstein becomes friends with one of his teachers, Paul Krempe. At first, both men are fascinated by the potential of their experiments. Together, they manage to bring a dog back to life. Eventually Krempe refuses to help with Frankenstien's human experiments. But he is drawn into the plot when Frankenstein's creature kills a member of the house staff.
No details or specific release date have been announced for these titles, but we will keep you up to date on these exciting and eagerly awaited titles as soon as more information comes in. Until then, enjoy the menu screen for “The Horror Of Dracula” that we have been able to obtain for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks