What's new

Walt Disney Treasures Wave 5: Problems with Poor Mastering (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

and Meaning of Life and Jurassic Park, offhand.

I guess you mean Uni has had a lot of screw-ups. But at least they *have* acknowledged and acted. And they do "output" a lot. As an older friend of mine says, the only ones who don't make mistakes are those who don't do anything. It's how you react to your mistakes that distinguishes.

The first step is to acknowledge the mistake. That doesn't seem to be happening here. So a correction when none is needed...no.

At least I'm slightly mollified by the hint that "people who count" are listening/reading. And I don't miss that Maltin kind of admits he doesn't have much weight to what Wave 6 actually turns out to be...

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Yes he does have weight to the content, he's just not involved in the restorations/technical areas. He's not Robert Harris. :P

I've never seen why anyone would expect a recall. This isn't a technical error like Kiss Me Kate or Jurassic Park or Back to the Future. Someone didn't mess up and drop the wrong 'unrestored' cartoon files on the disc instead of the properly restored ones. No, this feels much more like a business decision (the cartoons were never given the proper treatment in the first place) and the discs we got are what satisfied a certain--if shortsighted--bottom line. Gotta keep the mega-stock holders satisfied with every microscopic fraction of a percentage they can improve different markers that wall street finds important. :frowning:

Adam

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I didn't mean a technical mistake. Rather an "attitudinal" mistake. I am one of those who would never in a million years expect a "replacement" disc from Disney or a recall for what is IMO a bad decision (though, in fact, they released Freaky Friday as P&S only in Canada and will replace with U.S. WS if you ask...). For manufacturing defects and the like, though, they are great!

I still think Maltin gave blanket "pre-approval" to the releases and can't say that. Nor can he back up. He can only point to the future. Remember that next year at this time... So basically his signature means nothing, except that it was paid for...pretty standard for endorsements, often by people who don't even use the product, we shouldn't expect a difference here.

And they *will* redo Wave 5. Wave 5 is already a redo, and redo's is what Disney does, so it will be redone. Eventually. :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Folks,

some people have a misconception about what Maltin does. He's not THX-certifying any DVD transfers/masters. He's talking about the historical context of the content on these treasures. It's not his job (and probably not his primary interest) to police the finished DVDs for image quality...and indeed he has no authority with the studio to "approve" or "reject" their DVD production efforts. They would probably simply ignore him even if he did provide input on these points.

Kudos to Matlin for saying as much as he did in his response. That's *way* more feedback than I would have expected given his role.

Actually, they *didn't* remaster anything for Fantasia 2000. They used the same tired 4x3 lbxed composite-video master they had lying around. "Remaster" in this context is only valid in that meaningless "digitally remastered!" way you see on DVD and CD packaging which basically means that they digitized an analog source but has nothing to do with restoration or creating a new/improved source master.

BTW, Disney won't admit any "mistake" here. That's not what this should be about--that's just a red herring. The goal should be to get the marketing and DVD production department to clue in that viewers notice and care about these issues so that the next and future wave of releases can reflect better pre-production mastering efforts.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member

They recalled the "Best of Roger Rabbit" laserdisc for manufacturing defects (REALLY because of hidden obscenities in the cartoons) and the "Rescuers" VHS tape for the 2 frames of Playboy pictures that were in it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Did anybody else see that woman undressing in the window in Lambert the Sheepish Lion?!? I want my disc recalled/replaced!

:D :D :D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
No, but I did notice that the formation of sheep spelled out S E X. And if you listen carefully, you can hear Lambert whispering "take off your wool". Let's get word to Pat Robertson and we'll have calls for an organized national boycott if they don't fix this. :) :)

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
I think Maltin should request a meeting with Dick Cook, tell him the problems, and suggest a replacement program.

We need Maltin to stand up for us David - not just take the money and pass the buck. I want a good quality set, as was promised by the original press release for this wave: "...these rare marvels from the vault of The Walt Disney Studios are each hosted by noted film historian Leonard Maltin and presented in pristine color and sound."

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

True... but then Maltin shouldn't call these his "babies" (like he did in his recent Ultimate Disney interview) and put his signature on them.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I think you guys have completely misconstrued Mr Maltin's words.

I also received an email from him recently along the same lines, and what he is basically trying to convey is that - HE TOO IS DISSAPOINTED. He recognizes that the quality presented in the latest waves are not acceptable by the standards set upon this series. He, however unfortunate, has no input into the actual technical mastering processes. He simply compiles and collects the content, extra features, layouts, etc. But when it comes to the actual production, this is Disney's turf (in his own words)! He has advised where necessary as to the correct framing and title cards to be used for certain films. But he is not in a position to monitor and oversee the production. t is a shame. He has done so much in launching this series and pushing the idea to the corporate end who would greenlight the project. He is a fan first and foremost. He wants to see these films released on DVD and in the best quality. But we can't blame Leonard Maltin for what happened here. The majority of these cartoons were already remastered and prepped for DVD. The production team (or yokel behind the boards mastering the discs) just sourced the wrong transfers and we ended up with crappy poorly rendered video quality. NOBODY could have expected this. I'd think that we should recognize this first hand given the surprise we all experienced with this latest wave! Up until this release, the forumla had been tested and true. But from what I understand, Mr. Maltin will now push even harder and be all the more adamant in demanding a higher quality product, from the feedback I've gotten from him, to ensure that this does not happen again. However, he can only do so much as he does not work for the company nor is he in a position of great power. These ARE his babies, without him there would be no WDT series. But at the same time, he really only acts as a consultant and spokesperson for the releases. Sure, the conept and packagings behind these release are to his credit (i.e. the choice of films, features, etc). But if Disney choses to take a budget approach to future titles, apart from his downright refusal to take part in or assist with upcoming Treasures (of which none would exist without his pressence), there is not much he can say or do. Luckily, as someone else mentioned, Disney is apprently aware of the concern and feedback that these latest releases have garnered and I wouldn't be at all surprised if somebody had sifted through some of the posts on this very forum. We can all add to this awareness, by contacting the company first hand to voice out opinions. But to throw that statement that Mr. Maltin posted to his site last month back in his face as a result of this, is both unfair and ridiculous. Good for him for speaking out against such issues! He IS on our side believe it or not. And he is working to help avoid the same concerns that we all have for future of this series. Not only is he the only person who has been kind enough to respond to emails and addres the issue honestly which shows how much he truly cares about all of this, but we owe a lot to him if not simply for what he's delivered thus far! On a positive note, the good news is that wave 6 is already in it's earliest stages of development. So I'm confident that with enough pressure from both ends - both the customer feedback and those in a slightly higher standing such as Leonard Maltin, hopefully the quality seen int his past wave will never again be mirrored with future WDT releases. Please think before making such harsh statements about people involved in the industry that devote so much effort and passion towards the same causes that we all push for. Leonard Maltin is a great person and does not deserve any criticism for this.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Marco,

Incredibly well-said. :emoji_thumbsup: Maltin is one of the best in the business. He is a part of these sets because he loves the material. He is gracious enough to respond to customer emails, etc as well. As I said in another thread, he is class act.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Marco,

Exactly (what I tried to express in my earlier post as well). I'm not advocating that Maltin doesn't care, or that he souldn't talk to Disney about the issue, just that folks need to put in perspective what his *role* is in all of this...he's there to talk about and approve the *content* of the discs, not necessarily the technical mastering aspects.

Whatever he can and may do to help is welcome, but people getting up in arms as though Maltin has betrayed their trust by "approving" a technically problematic DVD release is totally off-base.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Give how the vast majority of other companies that own the rights to substantial collections of classic cartoon animation have completely written off the market for these films, the fact that an outsider, like Maltin, can virtually single-handedly bring about a series like The Disney Treasures is literally a miracle. It's unfortunate that all the subsidiary miracles, like everything working out perfectly one hundred percent of the time, don't always pan out, but to blame Maltin is sort of like complaining to Moses because your sandals got muddy crossing the Red Sea.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Who blamed Maltin? Some people seem to have that in their minds. It's not about blame, it's about lousy product and a studio's attitude that would allow it to be released. The apologists for this release seem pretty lame still though, and I have to wonder where they're coming from.

The issue re LM was he apparently "approved" of the release. I doubt his sig appears for free, but whatever. OK, so now we know exactly what he does, and he didn't really "approve" of the release. Especially after he saw the release. I don't think anyone thought he did the transfers etc. Maybe some, like me, thought he actually viewed the discs before they were mastered/duplicated...apparently not. I really did think that. His sig means no more than that he was involved "somewhere" in the process. Fine, I am more educated now.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Craig, I'm no apologist whatsoever. I think this completely sucks and if it were up to me, I'd suggest we get a recall or reissue utilizing the proper masters. I can't say for sure what LM viewed or up to what point he was involved. It's possible the discs were pressed long before release date before anyone had a chance to effect the final product. I'm still just as upset and unhappy about the issue, but I just want to make it clear that these feelings are entirely directed at Disney the company and not anyone else. I don't think Leonard Maltin's signature is necessarily one of approval on a technical level, but there to indicate that they are his brainchilds, he is the host and producer afterall. Anyways, just wanted to clarify that it's still not acceptable, despite my previous posts. The quality of these sets are absolutely horrendous.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Marco, I wasn't referring to your explanation of what Maltin does, and his feeling about the release, and what he can do to try to encourage better. Actually, it now seems Maltin is a red herring in all this discussion. But it took a lot to get to this point. There have been apologists all over who hold Disney as unassailingly supreme or something, whatever they do is "good" and to criticise is unfounded. Their turds smell like any other (from Shakespeare, I believe) and this is one.

Besides the copy for myself, I bought 2 others as gifts online before release date, just received them yesterday...still thinking about it. Maybe the recipients won't notice? Or care? By giving the gift (without my sig, BTW!), am I approving of it, recommending it, saying it's good? Sometimes, I really just don't how picky I'm being re DVDs, if it's reasonable or not. I know most people (not here) are not as picky.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I just finished watching the DVD set - atrocious! I would have expected a lot more quality from Disney, but nowhere on the packaging did they promise remastering or restoring of the cartoons, so we got what they advertised - a set of Disney rarity toons.

Hopefully they will take all of the forum's negative responses to their shoddy product to heart and do a proper job on the next set of Waves.

I guess it's buyer beware...

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
By the way, apparently there is now some press interest on this issue, from both a national entertainment magazine and the newspaper here in L.A.. It looks like from the conversations I've had that Maltin's name on this, plus his column on-line and his e-mails to folks, have been the spark.

I repeat my comments on this issue: "I think Maltin should request a meeting with (home video head) Dick Cook, tell him the problems, and suggest a replacement program." I'd also like for him to fix the edited Disneyland USA volume while he's at it.

Marco, with all due respect, the best way to assure Wave 6 will be up to the standards we would normally expect from this series is to make sure Wave 5 meets them. I would hope that a solution to this problem would come sooner rather than later considering how the issue seems to be growing.

Let's hope Maltin takes the lead in rectifying the situation for consumers.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think Leonard Maltin's point is that no matter what he does, be it threatening them or screaming until he passes out or just begging and pleading for Disney to fix the problems, it still won't happen.

What can he (or anyone) do if Disney will not do anything? The answer is call or write Disney (not a message board or Amazon) and let them know that you don't like this release and that you don't want to see the mistakes repeated on the next wave.

The problems aren't a surprise to Disney. They knew about them when they were putting the set but they released it anyway so they ain't gonna fix it.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I guess they don't, but the number of posts here discussing the subject should be an object lesson.
Is it so difficult to type out "Walt Disney Treasures"?

When I do a search I search topics, not posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks