What's new

Wal-Mart Selling 1.1 Profile Blu Ray Player for $298.00 (1 Viewer)

Timothy J Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
TimothyJackson Wolfe
I jusst got the Samsung BD-P1500 at my Walmart it was the last one they had and it rang up for $248 instead of the $348 and the register automatically told sales clerk to run the gift card through for the $100 giftcard back so after I got the giftcard back it only netted $148 which I used $140 Walmart Gift card to pay for part of it so definatly worked out as a pretty sweet deal. Thanks for the heads up on the sale David.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

By the time I got to my local Wal-Mart around 9AM, they were already sold out of all but two of the $15 movie titles (of those two, I already own one and didn't want the other).

I did get the player, though, as a second unit for the bedroom. Hooked it up in 5 minutes; it's very nice. Can't complain a bit for the 10 minutes I've used it. Yes, I got the $298 unit. The "wrong price" post on the Samsung kinda gives me a bit of a pang, but it doesn't matter...they were out of that model anyway.

Besides your note here, I've also had a couple of e-mails this morning with reports from people who tried to buy that unit, saying the same: the electronics dept. manager told them the offer was only good on the two units pictured in the weekly ad flyer. Again, the flyer specifically says "all Blu-ray players", as does the Wal-Mart press release.

When they rung up the $298 unit, it came right up in the employee's face on the register display that he needed to issue us a $100 gift card. We turned around and immediately spent that gift card on groceries, no problem...there's no restriction on what you can use it for.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I had a similar experience today. I re-purchased the Magnavox unit and the computer told the cashier to issue the gift card. She completely ignored it and when I brought it to her attention, she called a manager. She was completely polite, but just had no idea what to do. It took 20 minutes of backroom whatever, but I did get the gift card. Since I rarely use these cards, I immediately forgot I had it and purchased Con Air, The Fifth Element, Dejavu, and War with my own cash. :laugh: I may return them and re-purchase them with the card, or I may just keep them. As you said, the card is good for anything Wal-Mart sells.

I don't know why they don't better educate their employees. It took me showing them a printout of their own add before they believed me.

Again, thanks for the great tip!

John

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My Wallyworld insert in today's paper pictured a Panny BRD deck and the PS3, stating "you'll get a $100 Wal-Mart gift card when you buy any Blu-ray player". Flyer gives valid dates 8 June - 15 June.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Probably can't blame them too much about having employees not being well informed about such things. Afterall, I can't imagine the cashiers, sales clerks, etc. at Walmart are getting paid enough to learn about (and memorize) every promo special they come up w/ on a regular basis. Seems like as long as they (hire and) train their staff to be courteous, helpful and "polite" (as you mentioned) and handle all such matters accordingly, then that's probably the most you can really expect from a discount chain like Walmart I imagine.

Besides, even if they do a good job of keeping their staff up-to-date and such, there's bound to be an occasional case like this anyhow where human beings are involved. Heck, you couldn't even remember to use that $100 gift card you received at the store that very hour or so, LOL. ;) :D

Anyhoo, zzzzounds like a great deal for y'all. Enjoy!

_Man_

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Yesterday I was in Nampa and stopped by the Wallyworld there. No dice - out of stock on the Magnavox deck. Didn't bother me much as I was undecided on whether I really wanted to buy now.

Today I went by the Meridian Wallyworld. Their A/V department was all torn up for remodeling. Stock for the Magnavox deck was over in some other department, and since it was so hard to find few of them were sold. They had about 10 in stock when I got there.

So far so good. I've been running a film in it for a half-hour or so and it hasn't burned up on me yet.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I have another question about this player.

Most DVD players have a setup selection of "video/film/auto", which either forces 2/2 framing, 3/2 pulldown framing, or automatically sets via the 3/2 pulldown flag.

The Magnavox only has "auto" and "video", both of which sound ill-named. See page 34 of the manual.....

Boy this sounds backasswards. Sounds like their "video" mode is what most players call auto, and their "auto" mode is what most plyers call video.

Can anyone shed any light on this? :confused:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Dennis;

I'll check my manual and try to answer your questions, but if you're in the market, why not just buy the unit? If you don't like it, you can always return it, but this deal is quite temporary. I've been happy with mine, but have only had limited time to spend with it to date.

John

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
No I already bought it yesterday. I'm just futzing around getting it setup right. And I quoted all that the manual had to say on this attribute, which I why I'm confused.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

It does sound like a confused author of the manual but you should try to find a review online that addresses the playback settings. This is the same player as the Best Buy Initial (or is it Dynex?) store brand player so maybe you can find a good review of a Funai made player somewhere. Meanwhile, just play film based and video based discs and see how the player reacts with each setting.

Chris

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa
I've tried DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW. All have played back with no problems.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

With the unit on, use the remote and press [1] [2] [3] [4] [DISPLAY] to see the model name, firmware version and region code for your player.

By the way, it's the same code to see the same info as on a Magnavox-branded MWD2205 VCR/DVD player, also made by Funai. I happen to have one of those in my bedroom, not far from where I placed the NB500MG9 blu-ray player. So I have to be careful aiming with the remotes, or one will activate the other! :D

I also understand that, IF you have a firmware update downloaded and burned to a disc with the 2205 VCR/DVD, then from this screen you can activate the fw update by pressing [9] [8] [7] [6] [SEARCH] on the remote, let the update occur (about 5 minutes), then unplug for a bit, replug back in, and the fw update process is complete.

No guarantees that this would also work for the Blu-ray player model, but the first half works, so the rest prolly does. Don't blame me if it screws up your machine, though...I'm not trying it without official company say-so!!

Mike<> C

Stunt Coordinator
Id like to confirm, this is from WalMart website:
Full-HD 1080 output (24 or 60p)
1080p upconversion for DVDs through the HDMI output
Plays BD, BD-RE (single/dual), BD-R (single/dual), DVD, and DVD-R/RW discs
Plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs
Displays digital photos that have been saved as JPEG files on a CD-R/RW
Composite video output
Component video output
Progressive scan video output for HDTVs
HDMI audio output for Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound
Digital audio output (coaxial)
Analog audio output (left and right)
Virtual surround sound effect
Screen saver
On-screen displays in English, Spanish or French
Wireless remote control included

So Ive got the HD plasma, but only an older HK 120 reciever with coaxle inputs so Ill be outputing the player via HDMI to the tv and outputing the audio via coaxle to the HK reciever. The question is I will not have any problem playing DD or DTS 5.1 audio with this setup correct? But in the future I will need an upgraded reciver with the new audio codecs to play True HD or DTS HD with this player?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Exactly. Just set the player for PCM and it will send a bitstream to the coaxial output.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks