What's new

Video pixtal noise with Blu Ray Advice Please (1 Viewer)

cleverland

Agent
Real Name
Richard
I'm new to this forum (or any forum) I've been impressed with the knowedge base availalbe here as compared to other sites. I have been having some problems with my set up and could use advice on how to trouble shoot. I have been experienceing some pixtal noise (dot patterns which seem to pusle at 60 cycles?) on about 6 out of 105 Blu Ray movies. The noise can be white dots or red depending on the background and sometimes tend to show up on edges like around an actors chin or along the nose line or just on a dark area on a wall. Here is a description of my current set up.

Sony BDP 300 Blu Ray player
Yamaha RX V2700
Mistubishi 73833 DLP
HP Media Center Computer
Direct TV HD DVR

I use HDMI between the Sony and Yamaha and also between Yamaha and the DLP TV. I had the same problem with a preivious Samsung DLP TV and have tried bypassing the AMP, and even upgraded the HDMI cables ($219 Ouch) even though I knew better, so this seems to point to either the Sony or the disks themselves? I tried tech support at Samsung, Sony and Buena Vista (Buena Vista support was exceptional!, Samsung? Well I'll not own another Samsung product :frowning:, Sony refered me to BV ) BV replaced my copy of Flight Plan but the new disk had same problem. Now as my collection has grown I see the same problem on several other disks as well, like 2001, Eyes Wide Shut, Flight Plan, and others. I did get one of the very first BDP 300s released but have not read about any issues like this... Has anyone experienced this or have advice......

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the sharpness on your TV is turned up too high? Have you ever calibrated your TV?

cleverland

Agent
Real Name
Richard
No never had the TV calibrated, I use the default settings for sharpness etc but have tried turning them down with no improvement.

Justin Lott

Agent
Real Name
Justin Lott
What do you use for a surge protector or the like? Some do some power filtering
I wouldn't hurt to get a dedicated power conditioner or at least a battery backup that supports AVR (Auto voltage regulation).

If these problems aren't repeatable all the time at the exact same spot at least that may be the problem1.

cleverland

Agent
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for the idea Justin, my next step will be to unplug everything that I currently have connected except the DLP TV, and the Blu Ray player, to try to eliminate possible interference from the computer, external disk drives, wireless networks, telephones, directv DVR etc. then I'll move the player out of the equipment rack away from any speakers and plug it directly into the TV. Yes, the noise is repeatable at exactly the same spots in the movies. Kind of funny that 90% of the movies seem fine.

cleverland

Agent
Real Name
Richard
Im still hoping someone has had this problem and can give me a clue. I unplugged everything except the TV and Blu Ray player even my phone and wireless weather station to ensure I wasn't getting any interference from an outside source and moved the player away from any speakers etc just plugged directly into the TV with a Monster HDMI cable. No help still red and white pixtal noise throughout the movie Flightplan. I guess my next step will be to bring the Sony 300 into the shop?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks