What's new

Veronica Mars Gets A Clue On DVD!!! (1 Viewer)

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon.com now has the first season DVD of VERONICA MARS available for pre-order at $41.99. It still says it's in widescreen.

The official Warner Brothers DVD website also says it will be in widescreen, but I can't post a direct link. It's pretty easy to find from the WB website, though.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
This link should take you to the DVD's official page. On both the top and bottom of the page, it mentions the release being widescreen:
Let's hope they don't change their minds like they did with the first season of "The O.C."

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

I don't think they ever changed their minds with The O.C. Season 1. That was originally announced as 4:3. I still don't know why though.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Veronica Mars is now #10 on Amazon's DVD Top Sellers List!! Not bad at all, too bad it dosen't have a whole boatload of special featurs. I actually would have waited.

You know what would be really cool if this somehow helped Rob Thomas's other show Cupid finally get released. As He has said on his website that the chances are very slim.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member

davisdvd.com has the large cover art.

EWWWWW. She could have looked a lot nicer. Talk about a bad photoshop job... PLEASE CHANGE THIS WARNER...

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i don't like the cover either. yeah i know it's the discs that are important, but you want the DVD to sell as much as it can, right? a better cover might help that. VM looks alomost like a guy on the cover!

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Ms. Bell can look absolutely stunning... It almost brings me to laughter to think that they took an incredible picture of her and photoshopped the hottie down to an androgynous mess. Poor girl.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, she is. But you wouldn't know it from that picture. Ugh. And the whole school bus thing is ridiculous. When do they ever ride the school bus?

It's very Sweet Valley P.I. - but that's not what Veronica is at all.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
It's a shame they didn't include Wallace or Weevil on the cover -- this cover makes the show look so incredibly WHITE. When I saw the cast at the NYC Macy's event this summer, there was a pretty equal mix of black & white fans. While existing fans are going to buy this set regardless of who is on the cover, I think Warner has missed a chance at getting some newbies who would have noticed Wallace or Weevil.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Reminds me of a show on nickelodeon or something like that...

Kudos on the mention of the extremely WHITE cover. This is a very diverse cast... why not play that up a bit. My friend looked at it and said she thought Veronica looked better on this cover... so maybe the average person who has never seen the show WILL like it (she's never seen an episode)

Ryan_Guah

Stunt Coordinator
I like the cover, but now that you mention it, the school bus thing is stupid. I'm a fan of the "painted" look, and the blue hue. They could have done so much more to it though and made it look much better.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
The school bus is stupid, the focus on only the "white" members of the cast is stupid (particularly showing Duncan and Lilly as if they are dating, and making it seem as if it's a love triangle between Veronica, Lilly and Duncan - ugh), the photo of Veronica is stupid because it's not flattering . . . I just really hate this cover art and hope they change it.

UPN just doesn't seem to have any clue how to promote this show (pun intended), although I guess it's Warner Bros. Video that does the cover art, and not UPN. But as a fan of the show, it's very frustrating to see how it's marketed. UPN's promos are generally pretty bad, and this DVD packaging is similarly bad. It reinforces the idea that this is a "teen" show about a cute Nancy Drew-like character who spends her time daydreaming about boys and thinking about the prom. This show is so much better than that.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

In other words, they're trying to make it seem like the second coming of Buffy -- perky blonde fights evil between school and her social life. But the shows are really quite different. Veronica is driven to do what she does, whereas Buffy is forever complaining, "I didn't choose this life, fate gave it to me!" Veronica is also a lot smarter than Buffy and doesn't need a Giles or Willow to do the research for her -- she just needs a sidekick with access to the school records. But most importantly, in VM female empowerment doesn't come from beating up men. After Buffy, Dark Angel, and Alias, it's refreshing to see a show where the spunky female protagonist never throws a punch (and probably couldn't hurt a grown man if she did) and relies upon her wits instead.

Jamie Middleton

Stunt Coordinator
Wow Ive never even watched this show but everyone seems to be up in arms about the release.... I may need to check it out. after all like kevin said earlier that veronica is one hot chick lol

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
FYI - I passed on some of the negative vibes regarding the cover art to someone at Warner today. We'll see what happens.

Gord

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
And even though she's got a pretty trouble-some life situation she doesn't spend her entire life whining about it. We understand that things have been hard on her... and that's as far as it goes.

UPN really does market the show poorly. The ads make it look like a Noggin show or something. I remember reading about how it was on every critics top 10 list last fall, and that it was pretty much the critical darling of the year and getting all excited to catch up. I watched a "behind the scenes" promo EPK thing for the show and thought "Man... either the critics are nuts, or this is just really poorly marketed." After watching 22 episodes in less than 3 days... I think you can figure out which one I believe.

Even if they can't replace the "teen-triangle" schoolbus thing... I did a mock-up of what the cover could look like if they used a more flattering picture of Ms. Bell.

Thanks for passing the word on Gord. :)

If the airings on CBS and the DVD sets fail to get this show more viewers I'm gonna lose it. It's painful to see a show go this long and not pick up a wider audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks