What's new

Velodyne hgs10 vs hgs12 (1 Viewer)

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
I am considering buying my first sub (probably used from ebay) and I like the small size and black gloss appearance of the hgs line (they would match the appearance of my nht 3.3s and 2.5s). The room size is about 15'x15' (apartment), so I don't want anything too large. I've heard (and been impressed) by both in different stores, but have been unable to do an a/b test. Has anyone bought an hgs10 and felt they had to upgrade to an hgs12? Any comments welcome. ps: I'm using the start of side 2 of das boot for the demo - you really hear/feel what you are missing without a sub (pun intended).

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
If you can budget it, I'd definitely go with the HGS12. Once it's properly located/calibrated...it can't overpower the system so there's really no drawbacks.
Make sure the ebay seller provides a warranty if you're purchasing new(check with Vel to make sure they're authorized). Also, in a squarish room like yours...you might run into some modal issues(room induced peaks/nulls)...but you can worry about that down the road :)
TV

W

Will

Of the two, I'd recommend the HGS12 for a room your size.
It's not that much bigger than the HGS10.

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Thanks for the info... the room isn't actually square, so hopefully those harmonics won't be an issue.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm using the HGS10 in a room that's slightly bigger than yours. I don't recall whether the 12 was even available when I bought mine, but it wouldn't have mattered. I needed a high WAF ("Wife Acceptance Factor"), so I wanted the smallest possible box that would have good sound. Not once in three years have I ever felt that the HGS 10 wasn't up to the task.
Full disclosure: I'm not one of those people who feels that the bass isn't adequate unless it's knocking me out of my chair. The HGS10 blends seamlessly with my Monitor Audio fronts and rears and provides what, for me, is just the right amount of tight, clean bass extension. As always, your mileage may vary.
M.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I auditioned both of these fine subs, and ended up with the hgs12. I am comfortable with the local store, and asked my most trusted salesman if either of these subs ever clipped or had the overload circuit turn it off. He said that he did have the hgs10 turn itself off only a couple of times in all of his earth shaking demos, but never had the hgs12 do the same thing. I would never run at those levels and still keep my house standing, but I went with the hgs12 just in case.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I am comfortable with the local store, and asked my most trusted salesman if either of these subs ever clipped or had the overload circuit turn it off. He said that he did have the hgs10 turn itself off only a couple of times in all of his earth shaking demos, but never had the hgs12 do the same thing. I would never run at those levels and still keep my house standing, but I went with the hgs12 just in case.

Allan F

Agent
My HGS 12 has shut down on me. I was playing with a 20Hz sinsoid and the power just shut down. I had to pull the power cord to get it back on again. Not a typical situatuon but it can be done.
Allan

Randy G

Second Unit
As a point of information, the HGS-12 is twice the size of the HGS-10.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks