What's new

Various versions of A Christmas Carol.... (2 Viewers)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
There's an episode of The Real Ghostbusters where the Ghostbusters are unknowingly sent back in time and trap the ghosts visiting Scrooge, changing history."The Real Ghost Busters" X-Mas Marks the Spot (1986)

I also saw a Flintstones version once that involved the characters putting on a play of "A Christmas Carol". I think they just ignored the fact that "A Christmas Carol" hadn't been written yet and that Jesus had not yet been born (i.e., Christmas didn't even exist)./htf/images/misc/wikipedia.gif A Flintstones Christmas Carol

This is on DVD now: /htf/images/misc/wikipedia.gif Walt Disney Treasures: Wave Three#Mickey Mouse In Living Color.2C Volume 2

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
There is a school of thought that believes that the Flintstones are actually living in a post-apocalyptic world though. ;)

Anyone remember the Gumby episode where Scrooge escapes from his book, and sets about to sabotage the Holiday?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Does anyone else share my opinion that it is ironic (or should that be moronic?) that the most commonly portrayed image of Scrooge (outside of a production of A Christmas Carol) is that of a miserly, mean-spirited, skinflint? Why not use the transformed Scrooge? After all, isn't that why we watch or read the story, to see that wonderful transformation?

Charles S

Agent

Thanks! You're right, that's what that was in the Scott version.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Next time I'll watch it when I'm more awake!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree. It's the only version where I usually find myself teary-eyed at the scene where the Cratchit family is discussing Tim's death in the Christmas-Yet-To-Come sequence. Something about Miss Piggy, er...Mrs. Cratchit, crying at the stove, then trying to cover by telling the children her eyes are tired because of the weak lamplight. I'm amazed by the emotions the Muppet performers are able to convey given that the puppets have largely static faces.

A couple of great comedy moments I also like are when Gonzo is just staring at Rizzo in disbelief after the rat has done something dumb, and Rizzo just leans in and kisses him on the nose. :laugh: Also, Miss Piggy getting ready to give Scrooge a piece of her mind when he shows up at the end:

Scrooge (to Bob): That's why...I'm going to raise your salary!
Mrs. Cratchit: Well, I'm going to raise you off the pavement...wait, what?!?

I've always wished Miss Piggy got to karate chop Scrooge at least once. :D

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that is the point of the story, but let's be honest, grumpy miserly Screooge is a much more interesting character than running, jumping, joyful Scrooge (who would be rather tiring to be around). Plus, he only really changes in the last part of the book, so it's natural that when people think of Scrooge they think of the person he was through the most of the book, not the last 20 pages.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Watched Magoo the other nite with my mom and my daughter, (her first time...)

"Winter was warm..."

;)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe nobody's mentioned the 1938 Reginald Owen version. I just saw it for the first time this past season and I enjoyed it. I did not enjoy the dull 1951 Sim version a couple of years ago, though.

So many are praising the Scott version that I'll watch it next Christmas.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've always considered "The Muppet Christmas Carol" and the Patrick Stewart version to be significantly above the others.

The Muppet Christmas Carol, however, may be the one that I find the most universal. People can mock it because it's puppets, but in many of the early shows of this, it was taken to the people in marionettes. While it was read to the people from 1852 on, many of the early plays of it were done with little dolls on strings to show the performance, after all there wasn't a great way to stage this everywhere.

The Muppet Version does something most of the others miserably fail to do, it gets the emotional punch of the Cratchits dead right.

The Patrick Stewart version is the best portrayal of "Scrooge" of any, and deserves a lot of credit for his work in it.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I watched the Patrick Stewart version again. And while it does add some important scenes. They left out one scene that was in the Sim version that is very powerful. In the Sim version their is a scene where the Ghost of Christmas Past takes him to see when his sister died. Scrooge sees that his past self left before he hears her last request. To take care of her boy. This is very fundamental in the shift of attitude in him.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Agree with The Muppet Christmas Carol as being the most universal - I remember seeing it as a kid and still never tire of it.

Yet another version is coming out this winter, with Jim Carrey playing all 3 ghosts and Scrooge at different ages. Saw the images at Cannes and thought it looked kinda cool...I think I remember Zemeckis saying he interpreted the story as a story about time travel, which is an interesting new take on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks