What's new

Various versions of A Christmas Carol.... (1 Viewer)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I saw "Scrooge" on TCM last night, and the twists it put on the story were great fun. (Including the aforementioned hell sequence.) Poor Ebenezer thinking all the people who owed him money are honoring him, when they are actually dancing around his coffin is morbidly funny! The scene also implies he died at work.

The George C. Scott version is the only one where I recall the Ghost of Christmas revealing "Ignorance" and "Want" to Scrooge. That scene really creeped me out when it first aired.
Was this also the version where Scrooge meets former fiancée again?

Does anyone remember the "American Christmas Carol" with Henry Winkler, or the old West version with Jack Palance?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
George C. Scott version is simply the best...

However, I must admit a weakness for the Patrick Stewart one. Wish I'd seen his one-man stage version! The man is brilliant.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

I'm pretty sure that the Alistair version was filmed in England as well. Many exteriors in it. While I love Scott's version too he is the only Scrooge without an english accent. It's interesting to compare/contrast the different versions. I try to watch, Finney, Scott, Sim, Magoo, Bill Murray every year.

AND, has anyone else seen the animated version done in the early 70's with Sim reprising the character via voice?

Really amazing. There are 4 parts. I sat glued to my computer watching these.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The Rich Little version has the best line delivered by Truman Capote ("I aaam standing" :D ). I mean, the rest didn't even bother with that! :angry:

:p

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Johnny Angell-- sorry for the slow reply-- yes, in the book, the ghosts are "scheduled" to appear on three consecutive nights.

Silver Wook-- "Ignorance and Want" also appear in the Stewart version as skinny, creepy kids.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

The Academy Award Winning animated version by Chuck Jones (also voiced by Alister Sim) has the three night visit schedule.

It's also spectacular to watch.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
It's also why Scrooge says come morning,

"The spirits did it all in one night.."
which interestingly is in most versions even though they usually change it to one evening.

here's one MAJOR difference.

Albert Finney was a young man when he did his SCROOGE so in the flashbacks, he is first, younger than his actual age and then it goes through the years during the Christmas past segment. He does an AMAZING job "aging" When you see him as the old Scrooge and younger in the same shot, it is astounding. Not just the makeup but the physical differences in posture, gestures. Makes the connection to the Scrooge of the past about the best.
While I love the Scott and Sim versions, they don't achieve this nearly as well. Finney also really shows the vulnerability and pain underneath the meanness in old Scrooge about the best IMHO. A real knockout performance.

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew, thanks for this link. Very cool. I wonder how many of these I've seen-- definitely not 40!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I have ordered through i-offer a couple of DVD copies of the animated Sim version. Should have them this week. Looking forward to watching it.

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
In trying to keep with the original post
, I believe the Scott version also has more/different exchanges between Scrooge and the spirits, especially with the Spirit of Christmas Present.

Growing up, I loved the Alastair Sim version, but the Scott version is now the only one I'll watch. Back in junior high, I ran lights for the musical version ("Scrooge"), and became quite sick of all the songs. To this day, "Thank You Very Much" makes me want to throw things at people's heads.

Charles S

Agent
since everyone else gave their preference, so will I.
I actually prefer the Patrick Stewart version. To me, his version of Scrooge is a little more believable for some reason. His line at the beginning, "I wish to be left alone" really is delivered well....I do LOVE the George C. Scott version, but he comes off slightly more as a "grumpy old man" a couple of times, where as with Stewart's protrayal, I dunno . . . I can see "why" he became who he was, as opposed to "he's just that way".

I'm not knocking the George C. Scott version because I think it has many superior points...and Scott's protrayal within the Cratchet house with the ghost of Christmas present always gets to me....They're both equally great for different reasons, and they both pretty much have the same scenes. I watched them both this week and had forgotten how similar they are scene wise.

I've actually never read the book so I have nothing to compare it to really . . . Although I do like the extended scenes with Fred in the Stewart version. I don't recall ever seeing that in any other versions, but I enjoy them. But as much as I love Stewart's version, George C. Scott yelling "Cratchet", is iconic....
And I don't think can be topped.

I noticed in the Scott version the ghost of Christmas present carries a torch (I think) while in the Stewart version he carries/sprinkles holy water. Which is it in the book, out of curiousity?

Oh and what about Mickey's Christmas Carol? ;) family channel showed a severely edited version this past weekend which ticked me off because I hadn't seen it in years. I can't even remember what was removed, but I remember distinctly some lines by Marley/Goofy that were not aired.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Just watched Stewart's last night and agree he has some WONDERFUL moments. Same with Cratchit, at the end where he thinks Scrooge has gone totally mad back in the office and he raises the fireplace tool, (poker, shovel?) to defend himself yet still looks subservient to his employer, class-wise, not making eye contact. Wonderful. Also the Cratchits TRULY look destitute with horrible teeth and bags under their eyes. In some versions, Bob is portly and his wife is a babe with an almost upper class accent.
The one thing that really ruins it for me is the decision to make what should be the most frightening ghost into basically an oversized jawa with ridiculous glowing eyes. Totally spoils it IMHO. The George C. Scott ghost of the future is amazing and truly eerie.

Anyways, it is alot of fun to contrast and compare all the versions.

Merry Xmas!

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
There is a scene in one Next Generation episode where Picard is critiquing Data's performance as Scrooge on the holodeck. Coincidence?

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Charles, I believe Christmas Present carries a Horn of Plenty, and he sprinkles "the contents" on the people he passes by.

After reading through many of the reviews of the 40 versions on the website referred to above, I have to mention Muppett's version again. First, Michael Caine has a great performance for a similar reason why some have praised Sim's, Scott's and Stewart's-- instead of the over the top characature, he is just practical and almost low key in his meanness. He smiles at you while he's ripping your heart out. Another thing that I love is Gonzo as the narrator/ Dickens. You get to hear some of the great words that Dickens wrote, especially the incredible descriptions of Scrooge from Stave 1. You can't turn these words into dialog without losing the effect. Here, he says them word for word while you see it happening on screen. As bizarre as it is, Muppett's is a very legit version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks