What's new

USHE Press Release: Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray) includes Creature (1 Viewer)

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
GregK said:
Hi Doctorossi,
Were you considering a projection type of display, or going flat panel?
I'll have a few more questions on your personal viewing preferences before being able to give a 3-D display recommendation that works best for you. If you want, feel free to send me a PM, and we can go from there.
- Greg
Thanks! PM sent.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Gotta tell ya, I'm really excited over this release. Back in the day, I reviewed a bunch of the Classic Monster movies, so I got a quick education in things like The Mummy, Frankenstein and Dracula. When Halloween times comes around, I always want *good* horror and never seem to find anything in my collection which fits the bill.

Q3 and Q4 are filling up...FAST...with releases to spend money on!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
The fact that a couple of the extras are repeated across discs suggests that there may be separate releases at some point. Still, this looks like a pretty awesome package.
Also, while it's great that the Spanish version of Dracula is getting some care and attention, it seems a little odd that out of Universal's entire catalog, that's one of the 13 they picked for restoration.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Bryan Tuck said:
Also, while it's great that the Spanish version of Dracula is getting some care and attention, it seems a little odd that out of Universal's entire catalog, that's one of the 13 they picked for restoration.
I recall the Spanish Dracula looking surprisingly great on DVD. I can't imagine it needs a whole lot of work.
Needless to say, I am ALL OVER this. Getting Creature in 3D is beyond wonderful.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Bryan Tuck said:
The fact that a couple of the extras are repeated across discs suggests that there may be separate releases at some point. Still, this looks like a pretty awesome package.
Well, I guess it's how you look at it. In my view, the Spanish version is the better version, so perhaps enough others feel that way too. This and The Creature From the Black Lagoon in 3D are the highlights of the box set.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
$112 seems slightly out of reach. I am hoping the price
drops a little further.

Mind you, this set is up against a horde of other sets
competing for collector's dollars this fall. In fact, I would
say that this is one of the biggest, most expensive years
for Blu-ray since its inception.

I plan to cancel my order for the James Bond Blu-ray box
to get this Monster collection instead.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Ronald Epstein said:
$112 seems slightly out of reach.  I am hoping the price
drops a little further.
competing for collector's dollars this fall.  In fact, I would
You're absolutely right, between this, James Bond, Indiana Jones, and Hitchcock it would be difficult to get them all. I figure it's worth keeping them all on pre-order through the Fall just to see what kind of shake up there might be price wise. This way I don't have to sit and monitor the pricing (at least with Amazon). Whichever two slide the most or are less likely to drop big time early next year, are the two i will get.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A similar box (and packaging aside, it could be exactly the same content wise) from Universal UK has just popped up at UK etailer Play.com for £39.99.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Ronald Epstein said:
Now available for preorder on Amazon.  Please support HTF
http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1
Great and ordered. While I was trying to find this link before it appeared, I came across the exact same films, although standard DVD, came out in 2000. And that retail price was $159.00 also, although now it is offered at a more than 50% discount, but it tells me that the Blu Ray is really not overpriced at all.
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Collection-Frankenstein-Invisible-Creature/dp/0783242379/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1340978440&sr=1-1&keywords=universal+classic+monster+collection

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-includes-creature-in-3d/30#post_3943451
Play.com link

Is Creature in 3D with this set. ?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by John Hodson /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-includes-creature-in-3d/30#post_3943480
It says it is.

Oh i just clicked features and saw that, well that's great, considerably cheaper than importing, especially since we now have a £15 limit or £40 gift limit with customs before extra is added on to the price, i can see that £39.99 dropping even more within a few months too. Now i just hope Universal leave some film grain intact for the earlier titles.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ronald Epstein said:
$112 seems slightly out of reach.  I am hoping the price
drops a little further.
competing for collector's dollars this fall.  In fact, I would
I have pre ordered, but I agree that I hope the price drops. I have already bought these movies in all prior VHS and DVD versions, so I already have most of the special features.
I too would rather have this than the Bond set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks