What's new

US release DVD VS Canadian release DVD (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
All the Miramax titles I own are distributed in Canada by AA, and all of them are "ports" i.e. Miramax discs with AA screen printing on them. The even come up with the Miramax Home Video or Dimension Home Video logos @ the beginning with nary an AA logo in sight.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Most times the Canadian and U.S. releases of everything *are* the same, but I guess this thread is to warn people of some that aren't. Like usually Disney and its groups are the same, but very rarely not. Any *non-U.S.* film released by AA, Seville, TVA, and Lions Gate are almost guaranteed to be of poorer quality or have less content in Canada than their U.S. release...if it's from AA you can consider it to have an unwritten warrantee to that effect. Sometimes the AA quality reduction is sneaky when they change things for a *U.S.* film: recall that the non-SE of Memento appeared identical in content to the U.S. version, but the Canadian version was squeezed onto a single DVD layer, while the U.S. version was spread over 2 layers for better PQ.

Re my previous post on The Claim, I must wonder if anyone at all bought the AA disc. It is not mentioned at any of the sites that compare versions from different regions. I have found almost no info on it, never mind a review (Canadian sites review the U.S. version), and the info I have found is either quite incorrect, or else the disc liner is *really* incorrect. Too bad AA doesn't have a proper informative web page for their releases, but that's about par for them. [I suppose I'll watch it, then return it if it's MAR, have done that recently for something else when the transfer was bad: I watched and returned The Crying Game last week, the most atrocious POS DVD I've ever seen, worse than the original Scarface IMO.]

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator
I got this Email back from Alliance Atlantis regarding The Triplets of Belleville DVD:

"Thank-you for taking the time to write to us here at Alliance Atlantis Motion Picture Group, Home Video Department.

The Alliance Atlantis DVD release of this film will have the following special features available:

- The Making-of the feature
- One short sequence "the animation seen by Sylvain Chomet"
- Music video clip…
- Audio commentary of three scenes by Sylvain Chomet and music composer Benoit Charest…

I hope this answers all of your questions, any further inquiries please don't hesitate to contact us, and thank-you once again for writing to Alliance Atlantis Home Video."

Rolando

Screenwriter
Was thinking of editing my first post to include a quick summary of the titles affected. (Which would be mostly a cut and paste of Tom's post :D )

What do you guys think? even if this thread has not grown by leaps and bounds (like the Star Wars DVD post) might be a god thing for new guys to have fast access to the titles and differences.

What say you?

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
yeah, I think it'll be a good idea to keep the first post updated so we don't have to sift through all 3 pages just to find something.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Here, I've organized the differences between the US and Canadian versions of Ginger Snaps 2:

__________________________________________________ _________

Extras that they both SHARE:
- Commentary
- Deleted Scenes
- Storyboards
- Brigitte's Journal
- Ghost's Comic Book Art

Canadian Version Exclusive:
- TV-Spots
- Auditions
- Behind the Scenes
- Teaser for Ginger Snaps 3
- Theatrical Trailer for Ginger Snaps 2 (English and French versions)

US Version Exclusive:
- Trailers for other Lions Gate movies: House of 1000 Corpses, Cabin Fever, Serial Killing 101
(NO TRAILER for any Ginger Snaps movies)

A/V:
- both versions are in 1.78 anamorphic widescreen
- Canadian version has English 5.1/2.0 and French 5.1/2.0
- US version only has English 5.1 (that is not to say the US version has higher bitrate, DVDtimes review say that the US version has "lower than normal bit rate of 384 Kbps" but still sounds great). I don't know if the Canadian version uses the same track but I would assume so. (I have not seen the US version, so I cannot tell you if there are differences in the transfers between the two)

Packaging:
Well, different cover arts. One note on the Canadian packaging though. The text on the spine is written in the opposite direction than normal dvds (bottom to top instead of top to bottom, so you have to tilt your head to the left to read. It's a minor thing, and Seville said they will fix it for the next reprint, IF they do need to reprint it...)
__________________________________________________ _________

Rolando

Screenwriter
Alrighty then, I will do so before the end of the day. have to sneak in some time between work.

thanks for all the info Tom, a lot of credit will go to you. Don't worry CraigF and other contributors are much appreciated as will be credited as well.

Rolando

Screenwriter
ok, I have updated the first post to contain all info I could find on the posts. obviously some entries were edited.

Please let me know if I missed something or if there are any mistakes. also feel free to let me know if the format needs change.

I put it in alphabetical order and put the titles in bold. should I put a space in between each?

question: for triplets of belleville is it confirmed to differ from US version and can someone post a summary of differences?

Thanks for your help guys!

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I've emailed Disney to find out whether the Canadian "Freaky Friday" 2-pack will contain the US or Canadian (i.e. P&S only) edition of the 2003 version. The answer that I received was pretty much what I expected:

Guess it's the P&S version anyway.

Chris

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks for asking anyway. I've been dying to know the answer for quite some time. Thing is, the pre-order price for the 2-pack is not much more than the U.S. version of '03 FF will cost me, and is what the Canadian version of '03 FF costs now (Can. '03 FF gets a 50% price reduction on June 1...hope the U.S. one does too).

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Yup, this is the reason I wanted to know, too. For that cheap I would have love to get the 2003 version as well.

Chris

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Christian: Saw the 2-pack today, has the same old non-WS Canadian version of the '03 FF. Not unexpected, but the silliness is that the Canadian version of the '76 FF is ana-WS.

Rolando: The Triplets of Belleville is indeed different, but I'm not certain if the U.S. transfer is PAL->NTSC...the Canadian one is, and if the stated running time on the U.S. package is correct, then the U.S. version *isn't*. There is supposedly a one disc Canadian version, but I sure haven't seen it, just the old TV type package.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
CraigF,

thanks for the info. In the end I didn't risk it and only ordered the 76 version which should arrive soon. Good thing I did. :)

Chris

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Another upcoming title to look out for is the Toronto Rocks concert dvd:

Canadian Edition (2 discs)

US Edition (1 disc)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Another upcoming title to look out for is the Toronto Rocks concert dvd:

Canadian Edition (2 discs)

US Edition (1 disc)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
After looking around the 2 disc Canadian version is the concert video to buy.

We will see how the "in the audience" thing compares to being there.

B

brentl

Senior HTF Member
After looking around the 2 disc Canadian version is the concert video to buy.

We will see how the "in the audience" thing compares to being there.

B

Rolando

Screenwriter
updated first page with info that Toronto Rocks concert is 1 disc US and 2 Disc in Canada.

Added Triplets of Belleville to the list but need a break down of what is different.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks