What's new

US release DVD VS Canadian release DVD (1 Viewer)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if the Canadian version of Ripley's Game has DTS? It doesn't seem like it so far. Can anyone confirm?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Maybe someone can answer this one for me. What kind of digipak-style trays does the American Miramax release of A Hard Day's Night have? The Alliance Atlantis trays are made of shoddy, cheap plastic with an "A DVD" logo embossed in them.

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
The Canadian version of SNL: 25 Years of Music (which is a 5 DVD set) is in thinpaks, the US it's regular amarays. Everything else is the same.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ that's good to know. Some site lists a French track also. Is it in there? Because the US version doesn't.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Alliance distributes New Line DVDs in Canada so they "Frenchify" it. It's bilingual as well.

Ripley's Game has English 5.1, DTS Surround and French Stereo.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ I know they do, but they don't often add new tracks to it. It looks like a new practice for them lately with titles such as Running Man.

Thanks again for the info!

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Alliance Atlantis have been doing this with DVDs since early 2002 when they started repackaging everything in order to cater to Quebec. They represent 25% of the home video market in Canada.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ They've been repackaging them for a while but most of them already included French tracks from the US studios. Lately, more and more US dvds are dropping the French tracks forcing them to add it themselves (and as a result, causing changes to the content). I'm glad that they left everything intact for Ripley's Game though. :)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Anybody want to bet on whether AA will make a significant content reduction on their version of City of God? Like dropping the doc, not *too* unlikely, or more likely the DD5.1? If they don't, I think it is possibly the first time they haven't done so to a non-U.S. film.

I've been on the edge of ordering the R2 version (not the best, but convenient to get) several times, and if I knew for sure AA wouldn't mess with it I wouldn't mind waiting a couple more months (or a few days, depending on who you believe). I guess I'm just tired of waiting for this in R1 when it's been out elsewhere for more than 6 months.

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator

I don't have the Alliance Atlantis release anymore so I can't compare the plastic trays. I can however tell you that the pictures on the AA packaging are blurry and cropped compared to the Miramax version. As well, the cardboard AA uses is so thin it's almost paper.

James_L

Agent
kill bill in canada

dropped DTS for french

Running MAn

Pathetic

Import again i will :frowning:

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ is that confirmed? Because cnl.com does list DTS for the Alliance version as well as a French audio track. Could it be another packaging mistake?

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator

Tom, one of those extras is an easter egg on Hugh Dillon's bio page. It's a video clip from the commentary recording session of Hugh telling my boss to f**k off. I'm not kidding. Each of the bio pages has a clip from the recording session, but Hugh's is my favorite.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know what the differences are between the US and Canadian version of The Triplets of Belleville? The Canadian one will be released by Alliance and I'm guessing it won't be a straight US port since the US version is being released by Columbia Tristar (not Alliance's usual distribution partner).

I noticed that the US version has a DTS track, any news info on the Canadian disc?

(I'm pretty sure the Alliance version will have reversible cover)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
After finally finding a copy of The Claim (cheap!), I find it is apparently MAR in that it's presented as ana-WS 1.85 but should be 2.35 as it is on the U.S. DVD. This movie is considered quite good, but I haven't seen it, and the *U.S.* disc is supposed to have "remarkable" PQ and good SQ. You would never guess that this problem Canadian edition is from AA, but it is a non-U.S. film after all, and they screw all of those up in some way, guaranteed, so far. I would like to speculate that the AA cover has the AR printed incorrectly (they've done that a few times), but I can find no info from anybody who's actually watched the AA version, and I'd like to return it if it's MAR so won't open it to find out for sure.

There have been some reports that the Canadian version of Bowling for Columbine has subtitle issues. Yesterday was my first viewing since hearing about the problem, so I was looking for it: there was no such problem on my copy that was pre-ordered (so original stock; IIRC I got it from Columbia House) and played on a RP82.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ same, I did not remember experiencing any subtitle issues with AA's version of BoC, and I too used a RP82 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks