1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrading my AVR

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Raul Marquez, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Raul Marquez

Raul Marquez Premium
    Supporter

Raul H. Marquez, MD
    I've had a Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver which I bought at the time we got the free HDDVD and Blu-ray players at the HTF meet in Las Vegas many years ago. With a new 4k Samsung 65" curve display and a new Oppo, I've decided to upgrade my receiver as well.

I'm seriously considering the new Yamaha Adventage RX-A2040, and have been looking at the comparable model from Denon, which is an older model and doesn't support Dolby Atmos. I now see that Onkyo is coming out with new Atmos models as well, although I haven't found a release date.

I have a 7.1 Paradigm speaker system (subwoofer is Infinity) and I'm adding 2 more Front Presence speakers (also Paradigm) which I had removed when I opted for the rear surrounds instead.

Any experience from anyone with these new receivers?

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Aventage have been worth every penny.Somebody on here has a 2010(??) running 11.1(front and rear Presence).

3. Raul Marquez

Raul Marquez Premium
    Supporter

Raul H. Marquez, MD
    Well..... Bought the Yamaha Adventage RX-A2040. Now installing and setting up a pair of speakers to use as Front Presence. I wonder if I point them towards the ceiling I can use them as Dolby Atmos speakers once the Yamaha firmware for Atmos arrives.Sent from my iPad using HTF