What's new

Universal Vault Series - Amazon.com exclusive DVD-Rs (1 Viewer)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Great Imposter is a pretty good biopic with Tony Curtis . Also interested in the Cooper movie Desire with Dietrich . Not to mention Skylark with Milland and Colbert . I did just record that off TCM . Also plenty of Yvonne DeCarlo .

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Danny Burk said:
DESIRE is wonderful - a slick and witty Lubitsch-like comedy with Marlene Dietrich and Gary Cooper, directed by Borzage.
Lubitsch was the producer, so his influence is all over it.

If you have a region-free player you can get it for about $10 from Amazon U.K.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Desire is delightful and Romanoff and Juliet is a mostly clever Cold War take on Romeo and Juliet. (Ustinov is wonderful)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'll second the Olsen and Johnson and add the Universal Ritz Brothers movies. I don't understand why both of these have been buried by Universal never having had official VHS, Laserdisc or DVD releases.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Randy Korstick said:
I'll second the Olsen and Johnson and add the Universal Ritz Brothers movies. I don't understand why both of these have been buried by Universal never having had official VHS, Laserdisc or DVD releases.
My understanding is that there were rights issues, at least with Hellzapoppin, which had been a Broadway musical. That's what Wikipedia has said: "Copyright issues involving the original stage production have forced the film version out of general circulation in the United States, although a European DVD has entered circulation." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olsen_and_Johnson). It's probably the same reason the original 1936 film of Anything Goes has never been officially released. Perhaps Universal could release Crazy House and some of their later films, however.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
JoeDoakes said:
My understanding is that there were rights issues, at least with Hellzapoppin, which had been a Broadway musical. That's what Wikipedia has said: "Copyright issues involving the original stage production have forced the film version out of general circulation in the United States, although a European DVD has entered circulation." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olsen_and_Johnson). It's probably the same reason the original 1936 film of Anything Goes has never been officially released. Perhaps Universal could release Crazy House and some of their later films, however.
There was a UK DVD release about eight years ago which I have but the Pal speed shows.

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
According to past Chicago TV Guides WGN Channel 9 broadcasted all four Universal Olsen and Johnson films a total of three times each, but only in 1958-59, afterwards the films completely disappeared until AMC aired “Crazy House” in the early 90s.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
According to past Chicago TV Guides WGN Channel 9 broadcasted all four Universal Olsen and Johnson films a total of three times each, but only in 1958-59, afterwards the films completely disappeared until AMC aired “Crazy House” in the early 90s.
All the Olsen and Johnson Universal films were on television in the late 50s and 60s. Way back when laser was at its peak they had one of those studio days at Dave's Laser Disc place in Los Angeles. I asked the Universal representative and he said a 4 film laser set was planned, but ran into difficulties with HELLZAPOPPIN'. I think Jerry Lewis was mentioned as part owner of that film or at least content. I guess they thought that without their signature film, they would wait until it could be cleared.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Funny. I was just watching a you tube of "You Bet Your Life" a few days ago, and Ferdinand W. Demara was one of the contestants. I haven't seen the Tony Curtis film in over 40 years. I'll be ordering.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
They just released "The Truth About Spring" with Hayley Mills. This was #1 on my wish list!!!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I just got my copy of Romanoff And Juliet in this morning's mail and the news isn't good. It's a full frame open matte transfer rather than anamorphic wide screen. The transfer itself is on the soft side so zooming it only makes it look worse. Still, as a huge Sandra Dee fan (she was a major part of my adolescence) I'm glad to have it but .........

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Jobla said:
I wish that Universal would release a MOD of RED SKY AT MORNING (but only if it's the original theatrical version, not the bastardized TV edit).
The original version may no longer exist. When the American Film Institute sought out a print of the film to view for its cataloging project, the only print that could be located was missing 10 minutes.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Having talked to Richard Thomas about the whereabouts of RED SKY AT MORNING. He said that it was due to music rights issues...and he also wish that it could be released on DVD or Blu Ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks