What's new

Universal preps 'Flower Drum Song' for November (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Don't forget about the muffled sound on Hello Dolly and the missing sound effects on The Sound of Music. Fox may be better than Universal but they are not infallible.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP

You are so RIGHT about those issues with those FOX DVD'S.
"DOLLY" Should have been a two disc set !!!!!!!
However, as we all well know "FDS" should have gotten the two disc treatment from UNIVERSAL. First, given it's status as a big money maker for 1961. And making us wait TEN LONG years for it. It should have been jammed with extras !!!!!!!! Look what they are doing with the Hammer, Mae, Cary, Marlene, Rock, and Preston Sturges editions CRAMMING everything into one set and not including any extras at all. I am still mad about the TRAILER to "FDS" not being on the set. Or is that coming in a few years in the ULTIMATE edition ??????????

Greg_M

Screenwriter
It will be included in the "American Pie the Naked Mile Edition"
oh sorry I meant the "Flower Drum Song the fortune Cookie Edition".

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
The DVD Beaver review mentions the "color timing" issue that some have alluded to here, illustrating it with frame grabs from the "I Enjoy Being a Girl" sequence, and indeed, Nancy Kwan's skin tone is noticeably different in the two examples. But there's something else obvious as well.

To set the stage, as it were, for an analysis of this situation, note that the segment features Kwan singing to her reflections in a three-panel mirror. Partway through, her "reflections" start acting differently. Obviously, this was done via some sort of compositing or process photography. The lower shot is from latter section. Note the much heavier grain structure as well as difference in contrast and overall sharpness. Looks like you'd expect dupe footage to look, doesn't it? Maybe age has contributed to the degree of difference, but it wouldn't have been totally seamless even when first released, would it?

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Blah, blah, blah! All of these websites... More monkeys with more keyboards.

Certain internegative stocks tend to fade faster than camera stocks. The difference can be sometimes quite startling-- a negative that is totally unfaded can have opticals that are terribly faded. With color timing, it's difficult (although not impossible) to get it back to what it once was. This is the same issue that plagued the SUPERMAN color TV shows' recent releases and why WB went back to 16mm for some shots.

When you see that "difference," it's because you're one generation removed from the original source. It's like printing out a script, and then photocopying one page and replacing the original page with that photocopied page. When you flip through the completed script, you're going to see the difference. These differences were there when the films were originally struck.

In that particular scene, you have three different shots being combined, so they did it in an optical printer, which will always be of lesser quality than a contact printer because of optical interference. Plus, you're losing that generation of film.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
When I posted that DVDBeaver reference, I was wondering if that was the main example people were referring to in the "color timing" mini-furor over this release. I watched the whole film last night, and I didn't see anything that stood out as particularly objectionable. In fact, I thought the whole thing was pretty much a visual feast throughout.

BernieV

Stunt Coordinator
Are there any supply issues concerning this release? I ordered two copies during the DDD sale. One shipped right away. The other is listed as "backordered". I'm trying to decide whether to give the copy I have in hand away for Christmas if the other will be a long time coming.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Bernie, there's no supply problem, I ordered from DDD during the sale as well, and a few were backordered, the backordered disc came quickly though after the first one. I think the sale went so well for them they simply ran out. I see this in most stores, so don't think there's a supply issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks