What's new

UNIVERSAL- How about AIRPORT and SWEET CHARITY for the 100th? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Saw AIRPORT at Radio City Music Hall in 1970. The TODD-AO presentation was great. Would be nice to see a TODD-AO transfer on blu. SWEET CHARITY on blu would also look great. Any hints that we might be getting any of these on blu next year. Anyone?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Got my vote for both of them. Saw them both in their original runs in 70mm. Remember Universal did a rare thing for both movies on their VHS debut: the usual Pan/Scan transfer actually defaulted to letterbox during the musical numbers for Charity, (well done in time to the music) and the splitscreen shots in Airport. Unfortunately both movies were given cheap shots on DVD. The person you want to Lobby on this at Uni Homevid is Colleen Benn who puts her name first in the credits of every supplemental feature even though she does nothing but maybe approves them. If she takes credit for every supplement, she also gets the blame for everything left out or done badly. How about some new interviews and commentary from surviving cast members, (there are still enough around for both films) plus ALL the original promo and production shorts on each? Airport had a nice cast reunion at the academy a while back and several memorable actors from the cast were there, including Jacqueline Bisset... Charity's Shirley MacLaine, Chita Rivera, and dancers Ben Vereen and Lee Roy Reams we know are still kicking. I'd like to see Charity with the option to play the alternate ending as part of the film (seamless branching) rather than an isolated extra. Is anyone else sick of Uni's cheesy photoshop and cheapie font covers and menus? So often they look like something anyone could have done at home with a basic computer and some stock photos. I've rarely seen a cheapie redo that was better than the movie's original poster art and title logo. Some studios are right on the mark with this (WB: mostly but not always) while others INSIST on using stuff that MAKES the movie look old and cheap and/or part of a dry library of old films where every cover/menu looks just like all the others. Fox and Uni are high on the list of bad art direction for catalog movies.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If Universal is in the mood to issue some musicals on Blu, I'll put in a vote for Thoroughly Modern Millie.

I certainly support Airport and Sweet Charity, of course.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Airport is supposed to be coming to Blu-ray late spring. I would certainly like to see both Sweet Charity and Thoroughly Modern Millie on the schedule along with Earthquake, Midway, Flower Drum Song, and the Doris Day films.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Agree on all those titles. How would you guys most like to see those movies handled? What kind of packaging and features do you want? Do you have favorite things about these movies? How did you like the previous releases, VHS, LD, DVD?

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Allen- where did the info on AIRPORT come from? Do you think it could be a TODD-AO transfer?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I certainly did like the idea of seamless branching in regard to the two different Charity endings. And with several participants still alive, there should be either a commentary or a lengthy "making-of" documentary on the movie.

I haven't watched Millie, Charity, or Airport on DVD in a long, long time, so I have no idea how well or poorly they upconvert. Seems like I liked the transfers well enough at the time they were released, but all of my equipment has been upgraded a couple of times since I watched any of them. Might be interesting to check out if I find myself with some time on my hands over the next few days.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see any musicals, but particularly Sweet Charity, which had an important scene missing (!!!!), and only 2.0 sound when could use 4.o Thoroughly Modern Millie which had only a 2.0 track and NO extras, as there should be. Big question, never answered, Since we now have a format that can do multitracks, why are getting 2.0 tracks only for most older films.???

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
ahollis said:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012/60 Post #78 I was wrong in the proposed date, it is listed at coming out in September and not late spring.  Sorry I should have doubled checked.  I see no reason for them not to use a Todd-AO transfer.  But then we will get into that Universal logo argument again on where it is supposed to be placed. :)
Date doesn't make much difference to me, except maybe that AIRPORT was originally a spring release, which only matters to a few of us. Releasing in September gives some hope that it may be more of a significant release aimed at holiday sales. Wonder if they'll give it its own special edition or cram it into a cheapie combo with the sequels. That does seem to be Uni's way these days. Well, except for Jaws. I think that Jaws and Airport and all other movies Uni got sequelitis with could be served well by giving the original a classy special edition with extras, and then lump the sequels into their own separate issue with maybe a few little extras. Wouldn't you love to hear Karen Black explain why she was sticking her tongue out when Heston jumped into her cockpit? A Todd-AO transfer? you mean from 65mm neg? Idunno if there are many facilities that can do it well if at all. While I'd like to see a transfer with all the detail in the OCN I don't hold out much hope for Uni putting in the effort and expense. They seem to have forgotten that AIRPORT (and MILLIE) are among their top grossers of all time. What's the deal with the Uni Logo? Are you referring to AIRPORT moving to at the end so they could present the opening dramatically from a blackout? It's not as if they haven't been flexible with that. Remember ET ran it in reverse to match the first scene. When I first saw AIRPORT, the opening was presented like a roadshow, with the lights dimming at the first sound of the crowd on the soundtrack, I think the curtains had enough time to open in the dark by the time the picture came on. Nice effect. Some theatres took that further by dressing the staff up like flight attendants and announcing the "flight" departure before the lights went down.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There is a rumor that JAWS has been set for an

August 12th, 2012 Blu-ray release.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Universal, how about THE UNINVITED for the 100th, for God's sake. Better yet, give it to Criterion and, with a bit of luck, we'll get a BD of this ghost story classic in glorious black and white. While it may not be technicolor or widescreen, it is near the top of a great many lists whose subject is "why the hell hasn't this been released yet".

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
ahollis said:
A lot of Blu-ray titles have used 65mm for transfers.  Fox is supposed to be using the Todd-AO elements for Cleopatra and have already used them for The Agony and Ecstasy along with Those Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines (they just need to be released).  The South Pacific and The Sound Of Music transfers were from wide screen elements.  I think Warner went back to it's wide format element for Ben-Hur so there are facilities that can do it well just by looking at South Pacific and Ben-Hur.  Of course the most requested Todd-AO titles now that Cleopatra is coming are Hello Dolly and Oklahoma! There were a lot of people that complained that Universal was changing the way the film was presented in theatres by moving the logo to the end Airport for the DVD release.  They remembered it at the beginning and wanted Universal to stop messing with their memories.  Actually the logo is correct both ways.  The theatres that used a 70mm roadshow print opened with the black screen and the background voices over it and the Universal logo appeared at the end of the feature.  I and most others saw the film in it's general release and the logo was on the front of the title with the background voices starting over the logo.  It was a fairly stupid argument with people getting very defensive and arrogant over it.  If you can believe that. :)
Magnificent Men? was that a big moneymaker? Fox has given their catalog features such crappy treatment (Dolly, Dolittle, etc.) that I wasn't expecting them to go Blu until they get to Blu Manufactured On Demand. Transferring from widescreen elements is not uncommon if it's 35mm anamorphic, it's the movies shot on 65mm for 70MM release that are rarely transferred from the 65mm. Had no idea AIRPORT had the opening differently on diff prints. If I recall, I saw it in 3 different theatres, 70mm, 35mm stereo, and 35mm mono. I don't remember the opening being any different but that's a bit far back for me to be sure. Haven't all the video releases put it on the end? I prefer the opening sounds in a blackout, just as I prefer to hear the cars racing around the theatre over black film in CHITTY rather than throwing the new extended double studio logos over it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines was a very big hit. In fact, it surprised a lot of industry people who expected The Great Race to be the big hit comedy of 1965 that it outgrossed The Great Race by a considerable margin.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Would like to see Warner release GREAT RACE in its roadshow edition,even though it never really played roadshow.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
trajan said:
Would like to see Warner release GREAT RACE in its roadshow edition,even though it never really played roadshow.
It certainly was "roadshowed" in the UK. Indeed it opened at the Coliseum Cinerama Theatre.Was quite successful but not as big as Magnificent Men.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by NY2LA

Had no idea AIRPORT had the opening differently on diff prints. If I recall, I saw it in 3 different theatres, 70mm, 35mm stereo, and 35mm mono. I don't remember the opening being any different but that's a bit far back for me to be sure. Haven't all the video releases put it on the end? I prefer the opening sounds in a blackout, just as I prefer to hear the cars racing around the theatre over black film in CHITTY rather than throwing the new extended double studio logos over it.

Opening was not that different, on the Roadshow prints the curtains opened on a dark screen with airport background voices over the black and then it fades into the opening shot of the chaos in the ticket area. The Universal logo was added at the end of the film. The 35mm opened with the Universal Logo fading up with the same airport background voices over the logo that fades out and then the shot of the ticket area fades up. A gentleman with the Universal Film exchange in New Orleans said they did this for the General Release so the film would not go dark after the trailers and audience members would not think something happened to the picture,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks