What's new

Ultimate Ears UE Boom questions (1 Viewer)

Epistuff

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Looking to purchase a UE boom so the wife can listen to her iPhone music outside on the patio through a decent speaker. Seems pretty easy with the bluetooth connectivity. My question is.... Can I also send the audio signal from my home theater setup to the outdoor speaker via bluetooth or by using the 3.5mm aux input that the UE Boom box has?
My receiver is an older Yamaha VX595 with standard binding post connectors. Does any manufacturer make an adapter to go from this output to bluetooth? How about binding posts to 3.5mm adapter and then I could just run the cable outdoors to the speaker and not go bluetooth.
Same scenario for my TiVo HD DVR which has RCA output jacks on it. Could I adapt that either hardwired or bluetooth?
Reason being is that my cable company has a lot of nice music channels that we could make use of to listen to music outside.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No, but you could use the "tape out" to connect a "bluetooth music sender"(yes, that is what they are called) and connect it that way. Record out "might" even work for digital inputs...but don't count on it.

Or you could buy a newer AVR that has Zone 2 capability with pre-outs for Zone 2.

Here are links to what you would need...
http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics%C2%AE-TT-BA01-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Players/dp/B004B8GF7Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375709271&sr=1-1&keywords=bluetooth+music+sender

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-6-Inch/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375709368&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+female+3.5mm (this is a very short one. These are sold as long as 300 feet)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Epistuff

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
schan1269 said:
I just re-read your post where it seems this portable speaker itself is not actually bluetooth.

The UE Boom is not actually bluetooth? I thought it was unless I am intrepretting it wrong. If it is not, I woudl need qty 2 of what you have detailed in your second post. One to transmit at my Yamaha receiver and one to receive at the UE Boom?
My receiver also has a headphone jack. Would this thing work??.. http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Mini-jack-Transmitter-Headphones-Receivers/dp/B002HHLOWC

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was going by your comments, I couldn't tell if the UE Boom was Bluetooth or not.

In that case, you only need one Bluetooth sender to send from the Yamaha or DVR.

What you linked backed to me is just another brand of the same exact thing I linked to you.

There are literally 175,000 different Bluetooth music sender/receivers on the market.

The disadvantage of using the headphone jack, instead of the line-out(on the DVR itself or the "tape out" on the Yamaha, makes exactly zero, nada, zilch difference...at all) is you have to turn the volume all the way up on the Yamaha. Using line-out, you just connect it and you are done and you just leave it permanently connected instead of having to put it in and take it back out.

Bluetooth music senders/receivers require line-level(which is, technically, the same thing as "turning your Yamaha all the way up" if you so chose to use the headphone jack).

Epistuff

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Schan,
Thanks for the replies and the information. I just got back from the store and picked up the UE boom speaker. Gonna try it with the wife's smartphone first and then order one of the Bluetooth senders that you told me about. BestBuy did not stock them.
Thanks again!
Jim

Epistuff

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Schan (Sam)
Update...
The UE Boom worked very well with the smart phone. I also puchased a bluetooth music sender, this unit.. http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Home-RTX-Bluetooth-Transmitter/dp/B00713RSE0
I hooked it directly to my 3.5mm audio out on the TV instead of the receiver and it worked perfectly. (My HDMI goes from cable DVR to TV and the optical audio out from the TV goes to the receiver, so the TV does have sound output jacks. I did not even know it was back there but your instructions above made me look.) Also hooked it to the headphone out jack on my home PC for internet radio and it worked great there as well. I bought the long range unit just be safe with the distances an going thrugh walls of the house and I must say it does work well. With the transmitter unit inside of the house, I walked outside with the UE Boom and did not lose the signal until I was 120 feet away. Very nice. Thanks for your help and insight. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks