What's new

UK Shows I would love to see on DVD (1 Viewer)

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I would love to see Bombshell on DVD with Zoe Lucker from Footballers Wives, Growing Pains (1992) with Sharon Duce and Days Like These (1999) with June Whitfield

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
I would really like to see the UK sitcom series UPPER HAND on DVD. This series was based on the ABC sitcom "Who's The Boss" and ran from 1990-1996 with seven seasons (or series') and 95 episodes that starred Joe McGann, Diana Weston and Honor Blackman. Going beyond the US version, season 7 actually saw the couple as husband and wife.
Years back this series aired on W here in Canada, and I really liked it alot. If it were released on DVD I would definitely purchase it.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Cross this off the list of unreleased UK shows. The first of two seasons is coming out in July.

Life on Mars DVD news: Announcement for Life on Mars - Series 1 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

The bad news is that the American version running on the USA Network has been cancelled. I enjoyed it. It has a great cast, good stories, and eclectic music choices from the 70s. But now I will be able to compare it against the original.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I hate that, but supposedly, they gave the producers enough notice to at least craft an ending. I'm not sure how well that will work, though, as they "built" this show to run for quite some time. I fear that whatever ending they can arrive at by now will just feel rushed or tacked-on.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

I was hoping BBC would run the first series again prior to the sequel, Ashes to Ashes, which starts this Saturday, but I see they're only running the last episode of LoM just prior. Guess I'll have to be patient for the DVD release (2010!)

And, yes, I'm curious if they'll rush the ending of the American version that's been cancelled. And if Lisa Bonet will show up again for Sam to reunite with (personally, I'd rather be stuck in 1973 with Gretchen Mol ... if she changes her haircut).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Ummm, that's very much already on DVD. I think the intention of this thread is to discuss UK shows that haven't been release, not shows that are already out that you haven't picked up.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
A couple of guilty pleasures to add:

The Brittas Empire (R1)
My Hero (S3 and up in R1)

For those of you with "all region" players... how do you handle the PAL conversion for R2 releases? Does it matter on DVD as long as the player is "all region"?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

If you have an NTSC television, then yes, it does matter. Without the conversion, the picture will either not display at all or, more likely, end up being in black-and-white (which, I guess, is okay for black-and-white shows).

Now, if you have a multi-standard television (the likes of which are uncommon in the US), then you'd be okay with just a region hack. As I said, though, most of the "hackable" players out there have built-in converter circuitry (I can only think of Panasonic being notorious for not allowing their US players to do PAL conversion).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Thanks for the in depth reply! My 2nd question wasn't too clear in that what I was really asking was "since the DVD is digital is it the player that handles the output video format" which you answered in part 1 of your reply.

coldcaseyes

Auditioning
Real Name
jian haijun
i think that the storys re very good, they just need a better ending.
besides that i have to say that is a great show...

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing

what show are you talking about, helps to quote the person you are replying to

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks