What's new

UHD UHD General Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
It would be wise to put as much languages as possible on the discs (depending on the rights holder of cause)

Mike Frezon said:
Wow. THAT'S interesting.

Why would that be the case?
Maybe because it* was long overdue? :D

*code-free in general

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Since CES 2016 is now going on in Las Vegas there should be news about the players coming to market in the near future. I am under the impression that these players are supposed to be on the shelves around March. So if this is true we should be seeing a number of videos showing the new players and mentioning there release dates. I would also like to see more studios coming out and announcing there UHD titles.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Josh Steinberg said:
'However, when I'm at home and I want music to be more than background noise, I like the experience of listening to vinyl more than just pressing a button on my computer. I want to be immersed in the world of that music. I want to have the beautiful cover art, liner notes, lyrics at my fingertips. I want to hear the album from start to finish, with the appropriate pauses for side breaks.'

With the risk of this being even more 'off topic' - does no-one listen to CDs at home any more...?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
KeithDA said:
With the risk of this being even more 'off topic' - does no-one listen to CDs at home any more...?
If a new album I want is available on vinyl, that's my first choice. If it's not, then I will buy a CD. But I live in a NYC apartment so storage space is at a premium, so the majority of my disc collection had been imported into iTunes at high quality bitrates and the actual discs are in "storage" at my parents' house. I'd love to actually have them back under my roof but there's just no space right now.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
KeithDA said:
I do but my musical tastes are trapped in the past so the majority of my CD purchases are soundtracks now. I regularly go to the record store to find a cool used record or when a soundtrack gets re-released on vinyl, I buy a record.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I listen to some vinyl and CD's along with a few SACD and DVD-A titles. I do not care about buying something I can not hold in my hand and something that I feel the quality is not there. I also do not buy digital media for the reasons that what happens if that company goes out of business or if I loose my job and can not pay for internet then what? I am not impressed with the quality of mp3 and I do not have the space to start storing flac files. Actually do not have much storage space anyway. I enjoy listening to what vinyl records I have and I have purchased a few new pressings. But I do enjoy new technology and have supported many new formats. I do not buy dvd movies and only buy blu-ray discs and when 4K UHD discs are available I will buy them as well. Sure I listen to vinyl but you will not catch me going back to 8 track tapes, cassette tapes or vhs! I have about 40 GB of mp3/wma files on my pc and I honestly do not listen to them very often and I do not even listen to the files on my smart phone very often. I wish we could have a new high resolution audio format so we could kill off mp3's and it would be nice for it to be on a physical disc where I do not need a electronic device to view the artwork or information on the album.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will be buying UHD blu-rays and even started getting rid of my duplicate dvd's to make room for the new format!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
KeithDA said:
While I don't at this point, I am considering adding a CD player to my home theater system for the simple fact that some really beautiful musical collections, offered by MusicRewind only come on CD (can't get these on iTunes). Besides listening at home, I can have these ripped to put on my iPhone.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Kyrsten Brad said:
While I don't at this point, I am considering adding a CD player to my home theater system for the simple fact that some really beautiful musical collections, offered by MusicRewind only come on CD (can't get these on iTunes). Besides listening at home, I can have these ripped to put on my iPhone.

Why not just play the CDs on your blu-ray player?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Worth said:
One bit of good news - UHD discs will not employ any form of region coding.

But would it even need to since it'll have AACS2.0 DRM implemented? I imagine that's partly why there's no more region coding (as we know it anyway).

I'm actually surprised nobody seems to have mentioned this so far in HTF -- at least a quick search didn't come up w/ any talk of it, including in this thread.

Vincent_P said:
Maybe the studios aren't worried about anybody actually buying into the format.

Vincent
LOL! Maybe so... :P

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
RE: listening to CDs, yeah, I've been neglecting my collection as well -- and like others, have trouble finding physical space for them... although having multiple kids combined w/ portability/mobility needs probably killed that more than anything else over the past decade-and-change.

I did just acquire a pair of nice new "cans" to do some quality listening again and will be working from home indefinitely, so...

Hmmm... now that I've picked up an Oppo 103 for our main HT player, maybe I should move the old Denon uni DVD player to my home office space just for music listening -- unfortunately, it seems to not work for redbook CDs anymore, but still works for all other formats. Still need to pick up a head amp for the "cans" though (or maybe I should finally replace the Yammy AVR that I've been using in prepro mode w/ an actual prepro and then move that AVR to the home office space as well since it seems to drive those "cans" very well and could finally be used more fully as AVR w/ eventually maybe a set of inexpensive 5.1 speakers... hmmm...).

Sorry to extend the OT talk about music listening... :P

_Man_

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Josh Steinberg said:
There's something wonderful about being able to unfold a beautifully packaged disc, examine the artwork, read the lyrics, and appreciate that the musicians who made the content spent a year of their life coming up with this. With vinyl, the natural way to listen to it is from start to finish, and it's much easier to get a fuller appreciation of what the artist is trying to accomplish. It helps elevate the musical experience into something…

I agree, but you know this also applies to CDs too. Not an exclusive ritual for vinyl (ritual I extend to BDs, DVDs and video games). As an old school music lover and collector of many formats during the last three decades, what you describe fits me perfectly. Oh, BTW, I also loath MP3.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Barton Lynch said:
I agree, but you know this also applies to CDs too. Not an exclusive ritual for vinyl (ritual I extend to BDs, DVDs and video games). As an old school music lover and collector of many formats during the last three decades, what you describe fits me perfectly. Oh, BTW, I also loath MP3.

It absolutely applies to CDs, no argument from me. All things being equal, I'll usually pick the vinyl because most of them now come with a copy of the CD anyway (or at least a digital download), and the larger sized artwork on the vinyl is even more beautiful. But there are plenty of CDs I treasure that have material not on vinyl. One of my favorite artists reissued his entire catalog on CD with a bonus disc for each with outtakes and alternate versions, and long essays on the creation of each album. Releases like that are what make being a music fan fun.

Criterion, Twilight Time and a few others basically do the Blu-ray equivalent with their well designed artwork and booklets filled with insightful liner notes. I appreciate the effort. I love that Criterion dedicates a small paragraph in each release explaining what you're looking at, what the film or video source was, and how they went about transferring it from its original medium to something that you can hold in your hands at home. I'd absolutely love it if major studios adopted the same practice for their releases.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Josh Steinberg said:
One of my favorite artists reissued his entire catalog on CD with a bonus disc for each with outtakes and alternate versions, and long essays on the creation of each album. Releases like that are what make being a music fan fun.

(On an offtopic tangent).

I remember the Sgt Pepper cd had some liner notes about some of the technical details of the recordings. Subsequently for many years, I was waiting for the day when there would be a book which discussed the technical details of all of the Beatles' recording sessions.

One day I was going through the bargain section of a local bigbox bookstore, and came across exactly such a book.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
^Ha, already officially talking about 8K!

There may be some talk about 8K but I personally could care less about 8K, rofl. Since my main goal is a projection set up with a 100" - 120" screen 4k UHD is perfect for me to have my personal 4K UHD archival via 4K UHD Blu-ray discs. But I am sure 8K will happen sooner or later but lets face it the infrastructure is a long way off for 8K especially here in the US. LOL

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks