What's new

Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases March-June 2013 (1 Viewer)

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Originally Posted by Doug Bull
Finally and AT LONG LAST - Thank you TT.
Surely one of the most unappreciated and misunderstood films of all time.
The film was clearly made in fun and that's how it should be viewed.
Forget the story, forget any serious acting, forget the bad singing by some and just lighten up and join in the merriment, the great screen personalities and the wonderful Cole Porter melodies and have a good time.
It's clear that all those involved in the production had a fun(hic%#) time, so should you.
If you ignore the critics and don't take it seriously then "At Long Last Love" is a real hoot from start to finish.
The big question is, which cut will we get?
I've seen at least 3 various versions and all of them were very different.
Finally it's time to retire my worn out 2x disc soundtrack LP and to add another exclusive and fabulous TT release to my collection.
Thanks, Doug--here's what we know about the upcoming Blu-ray of AT LONG LAST LOVE so far...it is a brand-new restoration done with the full participation of Peter Bogdanovich. It is a slightly new cut with a longer running time than any previous version: 123 minutes. Additionally, it is framed at 1.66:1 which is apparently how it was always supposed to be framed, but evidently wasn't since most showings had previously been 1.85:1.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Thanks for the update, Nick. I've always found Bogdanovich to be a fascinating filmmaker, though I am more partial to some of his other less commercially successful works (Texasville, Noises Off!) I hope he was able to do a commentary track to go along with the new cut/restoration.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein
Thanks for the update, Nick. I've always found Bogdanovich to be a fascinating filmmaker, though I am more partial to some of his other less commercially successful works (Texasville, Noises Off!)
I hope he was able to do a commentary track to go along with the new cut/restoration.
Nobody appears to be much interested in doing extras for this, although we will try to furnish our customary isolated score.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Originally Posted by Twilight Time
Nobody appears to be much interested in doing extras for this, although we will try to furnish our customary isolated score.
And I should add this is a 20th Century Fox release that we are handling on their behalf, so extras and so on is their call...the studio did spend a considerable amount on music clearance rights which had been one of the main reasons the title has been a no-show on home ent media in the past.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
haineshisway said:
There's no link. At Long Last Love was shown everywhere in 1.85 as it was filmed.
Bruce, I think he was asking for a link to my previous comments about At Long Last Love. Frankly, I don't remember quite where it was. Possibly a thread in the DVD section about musicals (maybe the DVD thread on Lost Horizon where lots of other box-office flop musicals were being discussed), but it was months ago, and I really don't recall.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Twilight Time said:
Thanks, Doug--here's what we know about the upcoming Blu-ray of AT LONG LAST LOVE so far...it is a brand-new restoration done with the full participation of Peter Bogdanovich. It is a slightly new cut with a longer running time than any previous version: 123 minutes. Additionally, it is framed at 1.66:1 which is apparently how it was always supposed to be framed, but evidently wasn't since most showings had previously been 1.85:1. 
The last version that I watched I recorded off the Fox Movie Channel, and it was a version I had never seen before with two songs I had never seen performed by the second leads and that were not on the soundtrack LP.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thank You for your thank you. The film came at a time, that if it wasn't a scope print, then the Projectionist would just slap in his oft used 1.85:1 plate. ( I may even have been guilty at times) The fact that it was actually 1.66:1 clears up the ratio mystery. Will it be Anamorphic? (Although if only 4:3 letterboxed at 1.66:1 it should still look OK) Is it Stereo? I imagine that the Lionel Newman/ Gus Levene underscore will be included, which will be exciting as it features lots of Cole Porter. Again thanks Twilight Time for making these limited edition classics available and for thriving to obtain the best possible source material, thereby giving us a consistently top quality product. So far I have no complaints.
bf9d80b9_longlastlove1.jpeg
I'm sure those glasses were forever being topped up during the entire making of this film. Doug.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Twilight Time
And I should add this is a 20th Century Fox release that we are handling on their behalf, so extras and so on is their call...the studio did spend a considerable amount on music clearance rights which had been one of the main reasons the title has been a no-show on home ent media in the past.
My thanks to you and to 20th Century Fox for the diligent work on AT LONG LAST LOVE.and other Fox/Twilight releases.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Twilight Time said:
I assumed that would be the case which is why I didn't ask directly. Mr. Bogdanovich has done several tracks for things like They All Laughed, and I believe Nickelodeon and Daisy Miller so it would be fascinating to hear him on this one, and my surmise was since they had let him go in to do that re-edit, that another commentary might be in the offing. In any case, looking forward to it!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by MattH.
I've already written extensively about my various experiences with At Long Last Love, and I hope to get to review it to put those thoughts in an "official" capacity.
All I hope is that the film is framed correctly and not in Academy ratio which is the way it always seems to play on TV.
With so many different cuts of the film out there, I think it would be a mistake for Fox not to invite Bogdanovich to do a definitive cut. If Heaven's Gate can get a second chance...

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
MatthewA said:
With so many different cuts of the film out there, I think it would be a mistake for Fox not to invite Bogdanovich to do a definitive cut. If Heaven's Gate can get a second chance...
Keep reading, your wish is granted ;)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN is as stylized as Coppolas ONE FROM THE HEART-the Vegas scenes were filmed in Paris!. A very interesting film, beautiful cinematography. Taylor is great but Beatty is as wooden as ever. Its script by Frank Gilroy (his son Tony wrote the best movie Clooney ever did- MICHAEL CLAYTON) anticipates such 2 handers as LEAVING LAS VEGAS and the BEFORE SUNSET films. It did dreadful boxoffice. Opening in showcase for one week on March 5, 1970 (it opened at the Penthouse in Manhattan)-it was dumped by Fox-who had more important things to do with both PATTON and MASH - the Oscar winner and nominee for Best Picture that year-both having opened in February. It had direct competition that week when the much better received adult drama -LOVING opened, not to mention the blockbuster of the year-AIRPORT -which opened the same day at The Radio City Music Hall. Twilight Time is taking a chance with this, and so should you. THE DRIVER and HARD TIMES -excellent!

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
I am completely befuddled as to why Fox would license Leave Her to Heaven :confused: Now time to finally create a ScreenArchives account and make sure I preorder it before it sells out. :eek:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I too am surprised that TT have Leave Her to Heaven as it is a good companion release to Laura. I hope both titles do well as we may then see a run of Fox film noir Blu-ray releases. Some of my favourites are a bit deeper in their catalogue. I personally am not interested in the 1970/80's titles but am very grateful for the 1940/50's titles they have released. I assume that the more recent titles are the better sellers.

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
Keith Cobby said:
I personally am not interested in the 1970/80's titles but am very grateful for the 1940/50's titles they have released. I assume that the more recent titles are the better sellers.
I agree, but I'm kinda glad that TT seems to (incidentally) space out releases I'm interested in. I couldn't afford it otherwise. Especially with the tidal wave of great titles coming from Olive Films.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Keith Cobby said:
Is Woman's World on TT's radar? I am surprised this hasn't been released considering the talents involved.
I'll second that. Seems like perfect TT material.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Since Twilight Time seems to be monitoring this thread, I'll add my suggestion/request.
Lady in Cement. Frank Sinatra and Raquel Welch in the aquamarine jungle of 1960's Miami. Need I say more.
There is also, of course, Sinatra's first film as Miami gumshoe, Tony Rome.
If the "Flint" films do well, these two would be considered cut from the same cloth.
Except better.
Any chance you can get these two from Fox?
Pretty please?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks