What's new

TV Movie's I would love to see on DVD eventually (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

These four have been released by different companies specializing in public domain material. All four of these can be found on Mill Creek's big (mostly) TV movie box set (note that "Carter's Army" has been retitled as "The Black Brigade) . . . . .

Mill Creek Details Page

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Thanks for the link, Bob, and the companion guide link. I see that Zuni doll and I remember, that's right, "Trilogy of Terror" was an ABC Movie of the Week, too. But I have that one as a separate release. The others may just be a Netflix to see again.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Your local dollar stores can often be a good source for many of these forgotten TV movies from the late 1960s and 1970s. Just don't expect any kind of restoration work whatsoever. The true standouts, like "Trilogy of Terror," "Duel," "Brian's Song," etc., have received official, often very good looking releases, but the "average" TV movie, at least those from the late 1960s and 1970s, has pretty much been relegated to the bottom of the DVD pile . . . . . but some are available if you seek them out. I'm just getting around to ordering the two "Kolchak" TV movies; fortunately, they both received an official release from MGM.

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator

Steve, I believe A SHORT WALK TO DAYLIGHT was the Season Premiere for the ABC MOVIE OF THE WEEK in the fall of 1972. It would have been on a Tuesday night.

Bob, thank you for the link to the companion book. I had no idea that was out!

I think the opening credits for the ABC MOVIE OF THE WEEK can be found on YouTube, but if anyone wants to hear the theme music again, which was great, it was actually an instrumental composition by Burt Bacharach entitled NIKKI.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Exactly the Made for tv movies from ABC in the Seventies was great, Of course there were the Night Stalker films, Gargoyles, little girl from down the lane but there were so many other good one's I remember the Astronaut with Robert Lansing and many others, who owns this content?

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator

Not to appease my OCD too much, but GARGOYLES was actually a CBS Made-For-TV movie, not ABC, and THE ASTRONAUT, while a ABC Movie Of The Week, starred Monte Markham, not Robert Lansing. Unless you are thinking of a different movie that starred Lansing. There was a movie called THE LITTLE GIRL WHO LIVES DOWN THE LANE, but it was a theatrical release starring Jodie Foster. Now I'm done.

See how much fun it is being anal retentive? Try it!;)

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
One made for TV movie I'd like to see on DVD is the 1978 thriller, "The Ghost of Flight 401" which starred Ernest Borgnine, Howard Hessman and Kim Bassinger among others.
For those of you who may not know the story behind this movie...an Eastern Airlines L-1011 crashes in the Florida Everglades in 1972, killing 103 passengers. After the wreckage is removed, salvageable parts from the plane are used to repair other aircraft. Soon passengers and crew on those aircraft report seeing what they believe to be the ghost of the wrecked airplane's flight engineer and other crew members. This is based on a true account.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Questor aired on The Movie Channel around 1989-1990. I was fortunate enough to tape it.

Another failed Roddenberry pilot, Spectre has aired on Fox Movie Channel in recent years. It was even the extended European theatrical cut with bonus nudity!

Unicorn video released Planet Earth on VHS years ago, but curiously, Genesis II did not get such a release.

Are you talking about the Gary Lockwood Earth II? I don't think that was one of Roddenberry's. I got this one a couple years back on a 1978 or so VHS tape that I got at a flea market. Someone had recorded it from TV.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Does anyone remember these:

The Screaming Woman (An old lady believes she hears the voices of a woman buried alive, but no one believes her because she was recently institutionalized.)

Bad Ronald (A boy accidentally murders a girl and his mother hides him from the authorities by building a secret room to their house...when the mother dies, the fun really begins!)

One Of My Wives Is Missing (A man claims his wife is missing, then when a woman shows up claiming to be his wife, he says she isn't!)

The Norliss Tapes (A good little horror story starring Angie Dickinson, from the man who brought us The Night Stalker/Strangler and Trilogy of Terror.)

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (scary little tale of these little demonlike creatures that live in the basement of this married couple.)

Off the top of my head, these were the ones that used to creep me out as a kid watching Prime Time TV. I'm sure there were plenty more I've forgotten.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Try it? I live it! Good to know there are others who store as much semi-useless knowledge as I do....

On the bargain bin / dollar store thing, yeah, I just picked up a copy of "In Search of America" at a dollar store recently, and some years ago I picked up a tape of "Maybe I'll Come Home in the Spring" that was a cheapie release. I haven't seen "America" yet, but the print used for "Spring" was pretty wretched.

As for who owns the rights ... Well, it wasn't like a TV series where it was all produced by one studio. It was a series of 90-minute films that were produced by a variety of studios, and maybe a few smaller companies, many of which may be out of business now. Copyright may have lapsed on some of those films which would be why they're showing up in dollar stores and Mill Creek releases.

This seems to be a pretty comprehensive list of the films shown under the ABC Movie of the Week banner:

ABC Movie of the Week - The TV IV

It's really a shame that we don't have anything quite like this anymore. I loved the MotW, even if I didn't always love all the movies. It was a great place for the network to try out different things, lots of different genres within the one slot. I'd love to see some experimentation like that happen in network TV again.

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
Dark Night of the Scarecrow is a favorite of mine. I would love to see it on Dvd.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing

That I can see one of the films I want is being released.

Also would love to see

Buffalo Dreams (2005) Featuring Adrienne Bailon
Campus Confidential (2005) Featuring Christy Carlson Romano
Divorce: The Musical (2002) Featuring Anneliese van der Pol
Go Figure (2005) Featuring Jordan Hinson
Horror High (2005) Featuring Anneliese van der Pol
Now You See It... (2005) Featuring Alyson Michalka
Stuck In the Suburbs (2004) Featuring Brenda Song
The Ultimate Christmas Present (2000) Featuring Brenda Song
A Very Married Christmas (2004) featuring Ashley Leggat

off to bed now so will edit in the morning

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Some TV movies I would love to see released:

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973)
A Circle of Children (1977)
The Bermuda Depths (1978)
Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)(Thank you Image, I won't take it off my list until I hear it officially)
Midnight Offerings (1981)
This House Possessed (1981)
Don't Go To Sleep (1982)
Cry For The Strangers (1982)
Marco Polo (1982 mini series)
Amerika (1987 mini series)
Always Remember I Love You (1990)
Family Sins (2004)

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Villafana
I'm surprised no one has mentioned

The Execution of Private Slovik with Martin Sheen (1974) and The Legend of Lizzie Borden with Elizabeth Montgomery (1975). One other classic comes to mind as well, Sweet Hostage, again with Martin Sheen and Linda Blair (1975)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Has anyone mentioned Steven Spielberg's Duel (ABC 1971)? In the mid 1970s, Universal padded the film to 90 minutes for theatrical screenings in Europe, and this is the version they released on a special edition DVD. It's quite good, but the original 74-minute broadcast was a leaner, meaner, more suspenseful film. Taking the time to flesh out the character played by Dennis Weaver lessons the tension considerably, which was so intense in the original shorter version. There's no good reason why Universal's special edition DVD could not contain both edits.

I would also like to see the Hallmark special April Morning with Tommy Lee Jones released on DVD. A fine educational entertainment about the first battle of the American Revolution based on the classic novel by Howard Fast. More relevant than ever.

LCD22

Screenwriter

Jeff Goldblum is joining the cast of USA's Network "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" and I can't think of a more perfect time to take advantage of the added exposure by finally bringing a remastered "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" to DVD.

And CBS/Paramount: I'm still waiting on a separate release for those "MacGyver" movies. ;)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm somewhat surprised that no-one has yet mentioned THE GATHERING with Ed Asner and Maureen Stapleton. Though it's had releases on both VHS and LaserDisc, it's not yet available on DVD. It's a Christmastime classic.

Harry

Charles H

Screenwriter
FEAR ON TRIAL, THE DELIBERATE STRANGER, DRESS GREY, PROMISE (James Garner and James Woods) and FRIENDLY FIRE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks