1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tumult vs Titanic?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jon W., Sep 29, 2004.

1. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

Was looking at the new adire amps and thinking hmmm, But the 15" Titanic kits are cheaper and seem like a close competitor in terms of specs. Heck the 2 woofs even use the same basket. Sure would like to do a side by side test. Your thoughts?

2. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

Really, the Titanic is a very good driver and this is not to bash it by any means but if put side by side with a Tumult it would be put to shame. Those are really two different levels of performance. but the Titanic for the price is a heck of a deal for the performance you get from it IMO.

3. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Ditto what Chris said. Just because they use the same 12 spoke basket doesnt mean they are similiar, in fact thats where their similarities end.[​IMG]

4. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

The Titanic is more akin to the Tempest. Tumult is equal to about 3 Titanics or Tempests, in terms of real-world clean output...

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

just look at the motor assembly and the power rating then think about what you said.

6. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

Ditto what Chris and Kyle and Dan said. Tumult is at the top of the heap...any heap.

Dan,

A question about the new amp, sealed L/T with the Tumult: Since, in this configuration, the amp will be the first to give out, is the amp available with a limiter, or is it already so equipped?

Dave

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Well, they say a picture is worth 1000 words! So here are a couple of pics of the Tumult sitting next to a Stryke AV15. No, it's not the same woofer as the Titanic 15, but from they are of similar size.

And I'm not knocking either driver. I've built subs with AV15's and I'm in the process of building a sub with dual Titanic 15's.

Anyway, here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Chris Keen

Chris Keen Stunt Coordinator

Now THAT's an outfeed table. Nice pics Brian, thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

9. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i like the look of the cone and suround of the av15 but the Tumult has some sweet output also the power you need to push the 2 subs is different. i have dual av15 in a huge box. i am going to be upgradeing soon to eather 4 av15 or 2 Tumult in a medum ported box.

10. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

Holy mother of God! [​IMG] I think I want a Tumult! [​IMG]

11. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Whenever John gets up-and-running, you might be interested in his HE15. It will have most of the power and output of the tumult, but with the awesome-looking cone.

12. Kyle Richardson

Every time I uncrate a Tumult I get a warm, fuzzy feeling deep inside.:b

13. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

That's the pending hernia you have coming from lifting them frequently. [​IMG]

14. Kyle Richardson

You arent kidding either.

15. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I have a Tumult in a 178 liter enclosure tuned to ~19.5 hertz and a 1,000 watt plate amp. Everything together weighs about 235 lbs. The sides, top and bottom of the enclosure are 1.5" MDF and the front of the enclosure is 2.25" MDF. There are also 5 braces.

I thought I would hurt myself getting the cabinet from my workshop upstairs. You definitely don't want to load the Tumult and amp into a cabinet until it is on location.

The quantity and quality of output is definitely worth the time, effort and $$$.

16. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

Dave,

No limiter in the circuit; we can add one if needed, but I don't think they will need one in most applications. By the time the limiter kicks in, you'll be at pretty stupid levels... (this type of Tumult-based system is actually installed in the demo room of Cello Technologies. They're a high end install company who specialized in $1M+ installs. Replaced a pair of HGS18s with sealed Tumults, gained more output, and flatter response to boot!).

Rory,

That remains to be seen...[​IMG] There really aren't any motors out there close to a Tumult motor. Not all Xmax numbers are equal! 33mm of XBL^2 motor stroke (where the BL is flat over 25mm one way) is a lot better than 33mm of overhung stroke... And then when you consider it's really 44mm one way, well, things get really difficult to equal or even approach.

Seth,

We ship Kyle's Tumults with extra special lead/depleted uranium baskets, just to up the weight another 40 pounds...[​IMG]

Greg,

Glad you like it! It's a pretty good driver. And there's even bigger and badder in store for next year!

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

17. David_P

David_P Stunt Coordinator

now what that THAT mean?

David

18. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

Wow looks like my Tumult may have an early retirement; trouble is I don't think the structure of my house could handle much more [​IMG] then there's the wife who also controls the purse strings [​IMG]

Great news Dan...

19. Kyle Richardson

"Pretty good" - Nice understated phrase. Yep, next year is going to be FUN!

20. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter