What's new

Tron: The original classic will be released either March or April with new special features (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

Those Amazon Marketplace prices are unbelievable, for a DVD set that I could swear was ubiquitous in every store for ten bucks for YEARS, till just a few months back. But they'll surely come down once this thing is released. (Glad I bought at the $10 level, and still have the laser disc box set.)

Cover art. Don't get me started. For pure gut-reaction visual interest and excitement provided by original graphics, I wonder if Warner Archives is the clear leader in cover art at this sweet moment in time.
I think I payed a little over $10 a few years ago when I picked it up. Knowing that the Blu-ray was just around the corner I couldn't resist not eBaying mine and making a tidy little profit. :)

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
I am one of the biggest Tron fans around and even *I* had to battle against a rising gorge when I saw that cover. It's atrocious. The 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD had some lovely cover art; what's wrong with using that? Perhaps I'll cut it out and reuse it for my Blu copy if they do in fact wind up using that horrid artwork.

That said, I can't wait to see the original and Legacy in high-def. Long live Tron! :)

cheers,

Phil

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Yeah, I usually don't worry too much about cover art, but that is mind-bogglingly awful. I wonder if this is an extension of the whole being-embarrassed-by-the-movie-itself thing (which begs the question, "Why even produce a sequel then?"), in that they're purposely trying to make it look cheesier than it is. (I'll admit, it's dated, but there's a lot of real imagination in it, and that cover art doesn't reflect that at all.)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.tron-sector.com/default.aspx

RON: LEGACY & TRON Blu-Ray/DVD Packaging Revealed
Feb 3, 4:40 AM by WorldOutWest Here are additional pictures of the packaging variants of TRON: LEGACY in the Blu-Ray 3-D, Blu-Ray, DVD, and Digital Copy formats - with the original TRON movie being made available in a Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack, as well as packaged with TRON: LEGACY in a limited edition "The Ultimate TRON Experience" combination pack: complete with collectible Identity Disc packaging, and also coupled with TRON: LEGACY in a standard combo pack. You may click here for our previous news updates regarding this exciting release - which is currently scheduled to occur on 4/5. - Jay

You can post your thoughts and comments about this by clicking here!

show.aspx

show.aspx

show.aspx

show.aspx

show.aspx

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
From that Digital Bits post:

You'll also be able to buy TRON Legacy 3D and TRON: The Original Classic in a 5-disc Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy Combo 2-Movie Collection (the 5 discs would presumably include a TRON Legacy Blu-ray 3D disc, a TRON Legacy Blu-ray, a TRON: The Original Classic Blu-ray, a DVD disc (one or both films) and a Digital Copy (one or both films)

Why would there be separate discs for Blu-ray 3D and standard Blu-ray? Isn't compatibility with all existing, standard Blu-ray devices part of the Blu-ray 3D specification? The Blu-ray 3D It should play back in 2D just fine on any standard Blu-ray player, correct?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
For some reason known only to Disney, its 3D discs are not set up to play in 2D on a standard player. See threads on A Christmas Carol, Alice in Wonderland 3D and Step Up 3D.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It's because authoring separate discs is easier in the long run than working out all the issues with programming a disc for playability in both types of players. Disney would rather just throw in the 2D disc and call it good.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

It's because authoring separate discs is easier in the long run than working out all the issues with programming a disc for playability in both types of players. Disney would rather just throw in the 2D disc and call it good.

Along with this there are times that a 3D film framed 2.35:1 could have some 3D effects in the letterbox area. This could be distracting when watching a 2D version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks