What's new

Touch - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
After multiple delays, "Touch" finally had its two-hour season premiere tonight. Like many struggling Fox shows, it faced an extensive retooling for the second season, but I think the show came through the other side a lot better than "Human Target" and "Breaking In" did. The new version's less New Age-y wonder and more "24"-esque suspense. It'll be interesting to see if that brings in more "24" fans or just alienates the existing fans of the show that don't like the new heaviness. They did a good job casting Amelia, I thought. She's got the same Star-Child otherworldiness that the kid who plays Jake has.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
At the moment, I do not like the serial killer B-plot in the show. I much preferred the Dirk Gently-like everything is connected B-plots in the first season. I wonder how long until they have someone investigating the killings. They can't just let those murders go on without showing some investigation on the other side.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
NeilO said:
At the moment, I do not like the serial killer B-plot in the show. I much preferred the Dirk Gently-like everything is connected B-plots in the first season. I wonder how long until they have someone investigating the killings. They can't just let those murders go on without showing some investigation on the other side.
I also wasn't happy with the 'unrelated' killings aspect. I mean, I realize that the victims were probably part of the '36', but it is a much darker tone (and extremely unnecessary).

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Last week's episode was more like what we had seen before. I am thinking that the "genius" who is using Amelia's gift as his own is going to end up being a target of the serial killer and that may be how he is finally caught. I do hope we find out that more people are investigating the deaths.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I was disappointed that the serial killer survived his attach on Jake, but I presume he is injured enough that we won't see him again for a while.

Meanwhile, the ending of this week's episode was a surprise. I guess Amelia didn't look far enough into the future there. There was a slight "touch" moment this time, but not all that much. I don't know how much longer this show can last.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I've never watched this, but am kind of happy that it's failing and will probably be canceled.

Kiefer Sutherland pretty much blew off a movie version of "24" for this show. I thought that was kind of an arrogant, snobby attitude.

Maybe he'll come back in something, but he's pretty much stereotyped at this point and turned down a possible project that could have really rejuvenated his career.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Pretty shocking ending to last night's episode. Maria Bello's been great this season, but after a stellar introduction in the first season finale I don't think the show really knew what to do with her. Both of the kids are terrific. They have this way of giving off the sense that only a slim portion of their focus is ever on the present, with the rest focused on the infinite.
Stan said:
I've never watched this, but am kind of happy that it's failing and will probably be canceled.

Kiefer Sutherland pretty much blew off a movie version of "24" for this show. I thought that was kind of an arrogant, snobby attitude.

Maybe he'll come back in something, but he's pretty much stereotyped at this point and turned down a possible project that could have really rejuvenated his career.
Kiefer Sutherland hasn't made a movie version of "24" because there's no script yet. The movie is still very much in the works, and last I heard they're going to start filming later this year.

So you don't need to spitefully wish cancellation on a show you've never watched but many people, myself included, enjoy. Heck, the first season's on Netflix; give it a shot, and you might even become a fan yourself.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Kiefer Sutherland hasn't made a movie version of "24" because there's no script yet. The movie is still very much in the works, and last I heard they're going to start filming later this year.
And even if Sutherland is on a series, he's got the summers to shoot the 24 movie. Last week, I saw Antoine Fuqua (who was attached to direct the 24 movie) say that it was dead but I think it's his involvement that is over more than anything else. Since Hollywood seems to only really be interested in established properties, I can't believe that as soon as they get a script and deal that everyone can agree to that a 24 movie won't happen.

Back to Touch, I still enjoy the show but the serial killer storyline feels a million miles away from the first season. It's not bad, it's just different. I was really surprised by how dark the ending of last night's episode was. Those characters deserved to ride off into the sunset and be happy.

Adam Lenhardt said:
Both of the kids are terrific.
David Mazouz (Jake) is frighteningly good for someone who is so young. I think that kid could be quite famous or at least highly respected in 15 or 20 years.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have to agree with most of the sentiments here.
The first season was very life-affirming. Even though sometimes bad things happened, because of Jake (and Martin following Jake's numbers) good outcomes occured.

This season, there has been a 180 turn in the tone. Martin has morphed into Jack Bauer. Now I loved the Jack Bauer character (I miss 24), I liked that Keifer was playing a character who wasn't as adept as Jack at dealing with bad things/situations. Not only do we have the killings by the serial killer (which has now added collateral damage), but we have beatings, severe child experimentation, and several murders of basically nice people (Frances and now Lucy).

I think the work of the kids has been terrific, and for now, I will keep watching. But it is not the same show as season 1.

David

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Back to Touch, I still enjoy the show but the serial killer storyline feels a million miles away from the first season. It's not bad, it's just different. I was really surprised by how dark the ending of last night's episode was. Those characters deserved to ride off into the sunset and be happy.
David Weicker said:
I have to agree with most of the sentiments here.
The first season was very life-affirming. Even though sometimes bad things happened, because of Jake (and Martin following Jake's numbers) good outcomes occured.

This season, there has been a 180 turn in the tone. Martin has morphed into Jack Bauer. Now I loved the Jack Bauer character (I miss 24), I liked that Keifer was playing a character who wasn't as adept as Jack at dealing with bad things/situations. Not only do we have the killings by the serial killer (which has now added collateral damage), but we have beatings, severe child experimentation, and several murders of basically nice people (Frances and now Lucy).

I think the work of the kids has been terrific, and for now, I will keep watching. But it is not the same show as season 1.

David
This past episode really left a bad taste in my mouth by the ending. At this point I think the best thing for the series would be for the creators to be told that it is cancelled with enough time write a satisfactory ending. I really fear that is will be taken away with the plots in a bad place.

It really seems like bad writing for Martin to tell Lucy to run away someplace new and for her to just happen to run into the Aster Corps people who are looking for Amelia. The way this show works, it shouldn't work that way.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Pretty shocking ending to last night's episode. Maria Bello's been great this season, but after a stellar introduction in the first season finale I don't think the show really knew what to do with her. Both of the kids are terrific. They have this way of giving off the sense that only a slim portion of their focus is ever on the present, with the rest focused on the infinite.

So you don't need to spitefully wish cancellation on a show you've never watched but many people, myself included, enjoy. Heck, the first season's on Netflix; give it a shot, and you might even become a fan yourself.
Don't remember where I read about it, but a "24" movie is pretty much a no-go at this point, mainly related to Sutherland doing "Touch".

Sorry if I came off a little harsh, just having a bad day. I like Sutherland's work and don't wish for cancellation of decent shows. It probably is a pretty good show, I'll rent season one and give it a shot.

Sadly, from what I've been reading, the numbers aren't good and it probably won't return.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And didn't I read that he's shooting a pilot for consideration for next season? If that's true, Touch is definitely a goner.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
NeilO said:
At this point I think the best thing for the series would be for the creators to be told that it is cancelled with enough time write a satisfactory ending. I really fear that is will be taken away with the plots in a bad place.
They wrapped things up somewhat last year so based only on that, I don't think this season will end on a cliffhanger.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Still in the middle of tonight's episode, but I can't see how the serial killer can be wandering near an airport. You would think there would have been an alert on him by now with police looking for him. After he killed those people at Breakwire, didn't they at least report him then?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping tonight's episode was an example of it always being darkest before the dawn. The show keeps getting more and more grim. I hope we have a proper resolution in the season finale, given that it will almost certainly be the series finale.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
I'm hoping tonight's episode was an example of it always being darkest before the dawn. The show keeps getting more and more grim. I hope we have a proper resolution in the season finale, given that it will almost certainly be the series finale.
My sentiments as well. I'd be very surprised if it is renewed. I am hoping things take a turn for the better in the final 2 episodes

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I guess Amelia's ability to see into the future (or future possibilities) does not give her as many details to help out in many situations. On the one hand she did help Martin decide to go in and help to save a life, but you would think that she would be able to give a warning far enough in advance to stop them from getting hit at the end.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
NeilO said:
I guess Amelia's ability to see into the future (or future possibilities) does not give her as many details to help out in many situations. On the one hand she did help Martin decide to go in and help to save a life, but you would think that she would be able to give a warning far enough in advance to stop them from getting hit at the end.
My interpretation based on Jake's monologue at the beginning is that Amelia and Jake getting kidnapped by Astercore had already become an inevitability. They don't actually see the future, it's just their the ability to calculate probabilities is so great that it serves as a form of precognition. By the time the episode started, the probability that they could avoid capture had dwindled to zero. So instead of worrying about that, they affected outcomes in such a way as to do the most good elsewhere.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if they shot a twist turn that would have launched season three or not, but if they did I'm glad they didn't include it once it became clear that this was the series finale. Not an ideal ending, but far more satisfying than I expected and far more satisfying than the way "Heroes" petered out.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Overall I did not like the second season much, but at least the Aster Corps plot was completed. I feel sad for Jake who lost his special way of communicating with Amelia when she lost her ability. I think a third season would have had them getting the device back and Jake searching for more/new members of the 36.

Martin had way too much Jack Bauer in him this episode (and many past episodes). Of course we know that Jack Bauer is returning next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks