What's new

Total Recall THX reviews? (1 Viewer)

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Anyone get the new Total Recall or see any reviews?
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
I'm wondering if it really came out. Every B&M store I tried didn't get it in. I called DDD & tried to order it this afternoon & was told it was discontinued (not backordered) & that it could not be ordered. If somebody did get it please let us know how it is & more importantly: Where the hell you got it?

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
On Amazon.com it says this version is unrated. Is this some kind of different cut? I remember Verhoeven saying how much violence he had to cut out to get an R rating. It'd be cool if so, but I figure they'd advertise this more if it was indeed the case.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'm interested in more info too. I see it had a Blu-Ray release in August, and that's listed as "R". Seems strange they wouldn't use the same transfer for both releases, but you never know.

I already bought this movie twice on DVD, but I'd be interested in an unrated cut.

Oh, DDD still has it on its site to order (for $12.38), but when you add it to your cart it says it's not in stock and will ship when it's available.

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
Doubt this release is anything other than the US theatrical version.

I hope this release has been re-color timed from the ground up. There're a lot of "lazy" mistakes made in the Special Edition transfer.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Mine is currently en route to me from DVDEmpire.com. I, too, had originally ordered it from DeepDiscountDVD, only to be given the same bullshit story that the title was cancelled and would not be released. Now, I'm just waiting for my trusty mail carrier to drop off the goods from DVDEmpire. I'll be sure to give my impressions when he does (I also own the Mars tin version to use in comparison/contrast).

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Great to hear Travis. Can't wait for your impressions on its audio/video quality & extras. As soon as you post them if they're positive I'll order it from DVDEmpire too.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Well, the disc has arrived and I am tremendously disappointed. The print used is the same dirty, uneven print used for all prior DVD releases, and the THX Optimum bullshit Resolution enhancement has provided only the most minimal improvement to the clarity of the image; it's still light years away from that crisp, 3-D quality we know the film could/should/deserves to look like. The sound option has been upgraded from DD 5.1 to 6.1 EX, so maybe that would be worth it for some, but as a video upgrade, this represents only the most fractional step up from what's come before. A major disappointment, but for whatever it's worth, there is an insert inside that promises further THX O.R. releases, like STARGATE: Extended Cut and JACOB'S LADDER, which look like ass currently, so I'll probably give those another try (like the idiot I am)...

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Travis, thanks for the review. Sure does sound disappointing. Since I sold back the Mars tin to Wal Mart I might still pick up this unimpressive new release. What's the skinny on the special features on the THX release? Same as before? Better? Worse? None?

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Zip, zilch, nada, just like the first wave of Superbits; considering how many bonus features were on the one-disc S.E., there really should have been a measurable improvement for this THX O.R. release, since they were all dropped but, alas, no. As soon as I went to the opening dream scene on Mars and saw all the compression artifacting, noise, dirt and red color bleed that was on the other earlier releases, my heart sank. And it never got notably better from there... :frowning:

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the heads up on this release, Travis! This will not be a
part of my constant tinkering with my library to get the best
possible releases of my favorite films.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the input. It seems as if studios are doing fewer meaningful "clean-ups" or remastering on re-releases these days, but that just saves me money. :)

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
I was looking forward to this but I'm glad it wasn't available so I wouldn't waste my money. What a dissapointment, there were so many things they could've fixed for this.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
after several editions of STARGATE already out, there had better well be visible improvements.
As for JACOBS LADDER-an underated classic--I hope they do it justice also.

Asaki

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky

The real burning question is if it's actually unrated like Amazon says it is. That would be the selling point, right there.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

As I indicated above, it's the exact same source print used for the prior Region 1 TOTAL RECALL release, which means it's the standard rated-R release. Amazon has its facts wrong.

Asaki

Auditioning
Real Name
Ricky
Bummer, but thanks for the info. Tried emailing Lionsgate about it, but all their addresses bounced right back to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks