What's new

TiVo or ReplayTV (1 Viewer)

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
I'm seriously thinking about getting either a 40 hour TiVo or ReplayTV. Is there a clear favorite between these? Can you use either of these without the one time charge or monthly fee(yeah, I'm cheap)?

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
David,

I have a TiVO and don't know how I lived without it. I cannot vouch for Replay, since I have never used one. So all I can say is that if you have TiVO you will be happy. For more information, take a peek at:

www.tivocommunity.com

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I bought a refurbed Replay model that has the commercial advance. Great feature, especially with the annoying American Idol time filler. I've not used a Tivo so I can't say how the functionality compares. Initially I wasn't sure if I would get that much out of it, but being able to watch shows when I want is definitely a plus. I was a bit reluctant about the fee, but in comparison to doing a manual record for everything I want to see, it's definitely better to have the service.

John Giddens

Stunt Coordinator
I own 3 Replays and I love them. The newer Replays won't work past their trial period without a subscription or lifetime activation and to the best of my knowledge same thing goes with a Tivo. I don't think Tivo has a lifetime activation option. The Replays have a nifty ability to be networked to your computer right out of the box. Also through third party software you can dump shows to your computer to burn to DVD's and you can use some of your extra hard drive space on your computer to hold shows. The earlier 5000 series Replays have a commercial skip feature that allows you to skip through commercial segments with one button press. Be warned the newer 5500 series doesn't have this option. Unless you have Direct TV satellite the Replays have an advantage in my opinion. For more information than you ever wanted to know about Replays check out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=27 . It's my understanding you can get a 5040 for $119.99 direct from DNNA right now.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Standalone TiVOs do have a lifetime option for $299. New DirecTiVOs only have a monthly of $4.99, but if you subscribe to Total Choice Premier from DTV, they will waive the TiVO fee.

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
There are features on both that I like. With the Replay giving you the option of transferring to the computer, I may have to give it a try.

Thanks guys.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Replay TV has a network jack so you can plug it into your cable/dsl line. With TIVO you have to get a USB network adapter. I know the Replay has composite, s-video and component (480p) outputs, I don't think the TIVO has 480P component outputs. You can use the TIVO to access pictures AND music off your PC (extra $99). The Replay will only access pictures (no extra cost). I have a Replay TV and I think it's great.

When you combine the capabilities of the networkable (wired or wireless) ReplayTV with Java-based DVArchive 3.0 (Mac, Windows, or Linux)you have a powerful combination to satisfy virtually any time-shifting and archiving need. check it out!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It wasn't until I saw this thread that I remembered the ethernet port on my Replay so I spent much of the weekend integrating it into my new network. I went with Replay because I was able to get it at a better price than Tivo at the time and I went with the general consensus about it having more features and tweakability. After trying three of the primary programs DVArchive wins hands down for features, though the others are good for basic functionality. I wish I'd done it all sooner, then I'd have Karen Sisco (and all the other good shows that seem to be getting the axe).

So, go with Replay.

Sue B

Auditioning
I have TIVO so I can't comment on Replay. TIVO allows you to get a season pass which will follow the show even if it changes nights/times. This is a great feature. I don't know if Replay does this or if the PVR's built into dish network or cable can do this.

Fast forwarding is fine. Just fast forward through the commericals and if you go too far, TIVO has this wonderful habit of backing it right up to the beginning of programming.

Also TIVO's artificial intelligence for suggestions & wishlists (allows you to search for movies/shows using a key word as well as actor/actress/director) is great. I tend to like history/documentaries and wishlists allow you to find all shows covering a topic in one fell swoop.

Good luck

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
the latest software allows the 55xx series of replay boxes to skip over commercials with a single button push. works great!

ag.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Andy-
How does it work? I push the quick skip, but it only goes forward in 30sec increments, so it usually takes 4 or 5 button presses.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Try the right and left arrow buttons. That will do commercial blocks with respectable accuracy. Be careful though... Sometimes it jumps over like 20 min. segements.

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
don has it right. keep an eye on the time index, or you might miss a chunk of show.

btw, the feature is called SHOW|NAV, and is explained on the replaytv site.

ag.

Tom Tubbiola

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered two of the reconditioned 5040s from the DNNA site on Friday. I have had an older Replay 3060 for a while now. While I don't love the interface I'm hoping the new ones are better.

I have DTV and I seriously considered going with the Tivo unit because of the dual tuners. The one thing that made me choose the Replay again was the networkability features. If DTV would have included the Home Media Option I would have probably gone with Tivo.

Now I just have to wait patiently (not one of my strongsuits). . .

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
Tivo Series 1 records by time and channel without a service fee. I've been using it for about a month and it's very convenient. You can record individual shows or repeatedly record certain time slots. You can get them on eBay for under $200.

Scott

Cindy V

Agent
I have 3 replays and just got the toshiba dvd player with free tivo service (basic). I have used Tivo for a week and I really like the replay better. I love the 30 second skip on replay vs fast forward on tivo. I can move around the menus faster with replay. I do not do any networking so I am not familiar with this feature. I think the Tivo instruction book is MUCH better than replay and set up on Tivo was simple and short. The book had sample set up sheets so you understood where you were at in the process and what it was doing. It took 8-12 hours to set up each replay and I had to fuss with it, change settings, continue to dial up. Pain in the A@@.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member

TiVo also will do the 30-second skip. While watching a recorded show, press the following:

select-play-select-3-0-select

You should hear three bongs, and you now have 30-second skip instead of ff to tick.

Cindy V

Agent
Rodney,

Thanks for the Tivo tip. Will the command change the ff button to 30 seconds once done or do I have to do this each time I watch?

Also, can I change 30 to 60 or 120 to make ff jump one or 2 minutes?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Only 30 works unless you go into the program that controls this and make changes. The instructions are available but it requires both Linux and programming knowledge.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks