What's new

Time Tunnel S1 &2 - Good buy? (1 Viewer)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I tell you what... I only gotten around to watching a few episodes so far. But this morning when I was finally able to order some more DVDs... I ordered myself a copy of Volume 2!
Other then the rest of the episodes I am really looking forward to the 2002 unaired pilot and the TV Movie Time Travelers... Is this movie any good?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Yes, Time Travelers is a good movie.:emoji_thumbsup: It's a bummer they didn't make it a series. :frowning:

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Regulus said:
is a good movie.:emoji_thumbsup: It's a bummer they didn't make it a series. :frowning:
I agree. I still remember the movie from my childhood. I may pick up this set one day just for it.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Just be advised that although the TIME TUNNEL series and the 2002 pilot look and sound fantasic, the TIME TRAVELERS movie is just a little less so. It appears that FHV did not bother to remaster the movie for the DVD set.
It's still fine - don't misunderstand me - but it looks like they just threw a syndication print on there rather than remastering and restoring it. Since it's been relegated to "bonus material" in this case, it probably wasn't worth the expense.
The 2002 pilot was probably so recent that not a lot of clean-up was needed.
Glad to hear that THE TIME TUNNEL is still gathering new fans some 43 years later!
Harry

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Thanks everyone... and I will be sure to not expect as much quality wise from the movie.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I found the bonus movies on Vol. 2 to be much better than expected. I was especially impressed by the 2002 movie, which I had expected to be plain awful, but I found that I enjoyed it. Overall, a very nice job with these sets, the only negative being the double-sided discs (of which I will never be a fan).

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Well, I finished my run on Time Tunnel and the final verdict is in.
I enjoyed most of the series, up until the Robin Hood episode. Honestly, that one was PAINFUL to sit through, too dependent on stock footage and hopelessly overacted. Even our core cast had looks on their faces roughly saying "We're just collecting a paycheck this week, folks."
I was starting to wonder what was up with all the alien episodes toward the end. I mean, it was weird how many we were getting. And why did they all look like refugees from the planet Tin Man?
Only other complaint about the series is they seemed to have real issues writing good endings for some of these episodes. Just left me with an unfinished feeling, that's all.
Overall, I enjoyed the series and am not sorry I've tried it. I'm interested to see what Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea looks like, but after all the aliens toward the end here, I'm a bit wary of Lost in Space.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
MattPeriolat said:
Go with the first season sets for the best stories, ones that were grounded in the most reality. It's black and white, but it adds to the realism.
Then if you care to continue, go with the second season sets. The show switched to color, looked great, and continued producing some fine episodes, along with a few monster-type shows.
Since the ratings increased everytime they threw a monster on-screen, Irwin was given a network directive to continue in that direction. As a result, the third season veered almost exclusively to a monster-of-the-week format, with the elements of "camp" also creeping in (the BATMAN influence).
Fourth season attempted some more serious episodes, but there was still a large tendency for monsters or cheaply produced "crew-member-turned-evil" episodes.
LOST IN SPACE had a great start with the three of the first four episodes chopping up the serious unaired pilot into pretty good adventures. After that, the Dr. Smith takeover of the series begins and the series got very silly very quickly. A few good episodes were churned out over the three years.
LAND OF THE GIANTS attempted to be more serious, was structured much like LOST IN SPACE, but the gimmick wore thin after about a season. The full-series set is all that's available for sale and can be expensive. If you want to try it without breaking the budget, watch for Amazon sales, checking frequently.
Harry

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I just finished watching the 2002 Unaired Pilot bonus episode. I was going to try to wait to watch this episode until I was done the series... but I just couldn't wait to see it. Especially after I found out that Doug Phillips was played by David Conrad (plays Jim Clancy, Melinda's husband on Ghost Whisperer... and I love that show!). I have to tell you... It sucks that this pilot was never sold... as I loved every second of it. They left enough the same to pay a good homage to the classic Irwin Allen series. But changed enough of it to make an interesting and new show. I kinda liked how in this case they weren't actually lost in time... more straight out travelers. It gave it a bit of a Stargate SG-1 feel. And I found it pretty funny that they changed the character of Tony Newman to a female character properly named Toni Newman. I left this episode really wanting more! It is a shame it just wasn't meant to be!
Even if these later episodes aren't as good as the early episodes... I find myself happy that I got this set already and only watched this one thing on the set so far! So even if by chance I don't care for the later episodes of the series... all's good here!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I agree Pete. I thought the update to TIME TUNNEL was really very good and I too wanted more. And that came after the fact that was SURE I'd hate it, since I don't care for most modern updates to classic material.
But TIME TUNNEL 2002 was good. I liked the causality changes in "our" timeline. Red lights meaning "Go", New Jersey not being a state, the "Boston Yankees" playing baseball - subtle things like that, that could go unnoticed on a quick first viewing.
Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Pete Battista said:
Yeah... I agree... and you mentioned one I did miss on my viewing. The "Boston Yankees" slipped by me.
It's heard on the car radio in the beginning as Doug and his co-worker are driving home.
Also watch the opening credits carefully as each little image changes something.
Harry

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i picked up time tunnel a year or so and it was a great purchased. I like a few of the episodes, especially the ones that relate to history, i.e. the alamo, pearl harbor, etc. This was very good show and led to shows like voyagers and quantum leap later on.

The only thing that i found funny was James Darren and his hair and at times watching him fight. Those scenes alone make the purchase very worthwhile.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
This show is one of my holy grails on DVD. The transfers are awesome. The only downside is the flipper discs.
I am not big on flip side of disks either. I have issues with shows lke Voyage/Magnum PI etc that are on double-sided disks.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Not too thrilled about flippers either, given the chances, however unlikely, for a scratch. That being said, that we got the whole show presented with some great extras is a thumbs up for me, especially for the original Time Travelers movie and the remake pilot. As for the show itself, it starts VERY strong with the shows on Pearl Harbor, the Trojan War and Jericho as the high water mark but before long, the aliens take over. If you survive the Robin Hood episode, it's all good from there.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
The alamo is another good episode along with pirate episode. There are so many good episodes, especially like how the show links up with historical figure. This show would be good for kids today to see some of the historical figures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks