What's new

Time Tunnel S1 &2 - Good buy? (1 Viewer)

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I think 20 years from now someone will be writing in asking if they should spend money on the sci fi channel's "Battlestar Galactica" and they will get a reply saying don't bother it doesn't hold up compared to today's shows and it's dated. I don't really get the "dated" thing people like to throw out. When you consider how bad movies and TV shows are today, I can't think of a higher compliment then calling something "dated".

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Jim B. said:
It would be a good buy if the date was 1968 and you were 10 years old.
Exactly what are you contributing to this thread with a post like this?
To show how clever and snide you can be? Other than that, I don’t see anything of possible value.
The originator of this thread asked in good faith if Time Tunnel was worth buying. Earlier in this thread I gave him what I would classify as good reasons. Others may have taken a different view with reasons of their own – BUT they stated their case with reasons and not baseless sarcasm.
Criticize all you wish, it’s an open forum. But do so intelligently and with reason, as is most often the case on the HTF boards.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
chas speed said:
I don't really get the "dated" thing people like to throw out. When you consider how bad movies and TV shows are today, I can't think of a higher compliment then calling something "dated".
I very much agree, rock bottom right now for both, so dated is indeed a compliment. I loved TT as a kid and still do, too bad they only made one season when it so deserved a longer life span. Love that old-fashioned new story every week format, modern TV drama's basically soaps no matter the setting. But that's a discussion for some other 'time'. Btw, am I the one thinking Tom Brokaw sounds just like Colbert?

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
If I may say something...

I don't have a problem with something being "dated." I'm a history major, soon to be a teacher by trade so I actually LIKE when a certain show I'm watching has a stamp of a time period on it. It helps to place the show in context.

And at the risk of sounding like a prude, trust me, I find ILL and TZ to be far more entertaining than a lot of the other tripe I see on regular TV these days, so it says something about older shows standing up to the test of time.

But, to bring us back to topic, I'm planning on trying to pick up TT V1 and 2 this afternoon if I can get all my class work done before 4 PM. Wish me luck!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
MattPeriolat said:
If I may say something...
I don't have a problem with something being "dated." I'm a history major, soon to be a teacher by trade so I actually LIKE when a certain show I'm watching has a stamp of a time period on it. It helps to place the show in context.
That's half the fun of watching Vintage Sci-Fi! :D There are LOADS of series out there that have thing in them that in their day were Science-Fiction, now they are reality. For Example:
STAR TREK - Cell Phones (Communicators), Stealth Technology (Cloaking Devices)
THUNDERBIRDS - Laptop Computers, Senior Citizen Scooters
LOST IN SPACE - Internet Marketing.
TIME TUNNEL - Area 51 style "Super Secret" Bases
Maybe some of you out there can list other examples!:cool:

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
chas speed said:
I don't really get the "dated" thing people like to throw out. When you consider how bad movies and TV shows are today, I can't think of a higher compliment then calling something "dated".
Jeff, same as Henry posted, you have the quote of the year for my money :emoji_thumbsup:
TT has always been in my top 5 all-time shows. When Fox released the DVD's, it was
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
time for me. With the stellar transfer Q to DVD, watchng these shows was "memory lane" big-time. I used to play "TT" outside with my friend when it was originally airing and we had that "tumbling out of the tunnel" action nailed :laugh:
I do get what some have said, though, about a show from this era "standing the test of time". That's always a measurement indicy we all use for these old shows. I've been very fortunate collecting TV/DVD's since '04 in that nearly all of my "nostalgia" buys have passed that test. I can only think of 1 or 2 that were questionable in that regard.
Back to TT, since it's been revived with this thread, my favorite episodes are:
One Way to the Moon (I loved that dual "Beard" role)
Revenge of the Gods (John Doucette as "Ulysses" first-rate! That guy was just a 1st-class character actor)
Visitors from Beyond the Stars (I liked the "future/past" twist to this one)
The Walls of Jericho (Rhodes Reason as "Joshua"...great!)
Chase Through Time (Robert Duvall "Nimon"), enough said.
Merlin the Magician (Christopher Cary as "Merlin"...perfect casting..."I [pause] am Merlin"
End of the World (Paul Fix as "Henderson", one of my all-time character actors from the Rifleman & a Big Valley role)
The Day the Sky Fell In (we get to see a young Susan Flannery as "Louise")
The Last Patrol (as Harry said, top-rate dual Carroll O'Connor role)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Uh....I guess it's obvious this one's a "grail" show for me :laugh:
I agree that there were a couple of imo, "weak" eps later in the series.
These two don't set me to
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
'ing:
Raiders from Outer Space
Town of Terror

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Jeff Willis said:
I agree that there were a couple of imo, "weak" eps later in the series.
Every TV Show has em. You know what they say, "There's always a Bad Apple in the Barrel!" :laugh:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's a fun show. If you have the time to watch and a few extra bucks, it is well worth your time.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I came, I saw, I went broke.
All kidding aside, I went to Best Buy and picked up both volumes and will be watching them this weekend. College work comes first, sorry.
Just at first blush, very interested in the extras, especially the 2002 Pilot and watching the Time Travellers movie, which is probably what I saw that exposed me to the show originally.
About the went broke? Fiance is getting complete series set for Powerpuff Girls.
Oh and this must be a week or something for Time Tunnel because I heard this week from my local comic store that a collection of the 1960s comic series based on Time Tunnel will be out this summer, so something else for fans to collect!
So, let me guess... Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea next or LIS?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
MattPeriolat said:
I know how you feel! This happens OFTEN with me, especially when someone like DeeDee's has a BOGO Sale!:D
VTTBOTS or LIS? I Say BOTH!:emoji_thumbsup: (Make sure you can get em for a Good Price!):cool:

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
MattPeriolat said:
Absolutely BOTH! But, please, don't go broke on my recommendations! :)
Now, here's where the opinions will start pouring in... If you don't start buying and viewing in order and go forward that way, IMHO, the best place to start is VOYAGE Season Two, and LOST IN SPACE Season Three Volume One.
I love 'em all, start to finish, but this is where I'd advise beginning on a "blind buy".
Each set has gems scattered throughout, like LIS's "Blast Off into Space" (LIS Season Two Volume One) with what I believe is the best pre-GCI SFX sequence ever created for television (!) and VOYAGE's "Long Live the King" S1 V1 (a rare Christmas story with narration by Richard Basehart and guest starring Carroll O'Connor) and "Fires of Death" (a journey into a volcano from the current S4 V1 just to note good "polar extremes" in content), and each has its lesser lights -- as you've seen discussed elsewhere.
But finding this out is is very much half the fun!

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Regulus said:
That's half the fun of watching Vintage Sci-Fi! :D There are LOADS of series out there that have thing in them that in their day were Science-Fiction, now they are reality. For Example:
LOST IN SPACE - Internet Marketing.
By "Internet Marketing", do you mean The Celestial Department Store"?
That's GREAT! In all the years, I never made that connection!
Oh, and check out Admiral Nelson's "Huge Primitive Reel-To-Reel Tape VCR" in "Man of Many Faces" (1967) in the current VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA Season Four Volume One (actually, about 1981 in "Voyage Time"), which would have made it "futuristic" in '67 and "dated" in '81!
...And just imagine how the plots of nearly every episode of every show -- from PERRY MASON to THE INVADERS and well beyond -- would be changed if there were cell phones and automobile GPS! No more plots turning on missed phone calls or getting lost.
"Dated" is not a negative... it is very much part of the fun!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
MattPeriolat said:
I have a very different opinion for our young, cash-strapped friend. And it's very definitely VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA as the next purchase, starting with S1V1 and working forward as time and money permits. Keep an eye out for sales, especially later in the year as we move toward Christmas.
I say avoid LOST IN SPACE for now, since its among the most miserably mastered TV series out there, sometimes making the PD (of other series) sets look decent. FOX mastered LOST IN SPACE as the first Irwin Allen show about five or six years ago, using old existing masters for syndication. The result is a visual mess, particularly on seasons two and three, the color years. One can actually almost make do with the black and white season.
My thought process is that almost certainly, once VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA is done with, FOX might decide to revisit LOST IN SPACE, especially with the coming age of HD television. Those old masters won't cut it at all. Once re-done, they'd be a natural for a second DVD release, possibly even Blu-Ray.
By doing VOYAGE first, and starting with the first season, one can see the series' best story efforts and follow the way things develop over the years, with the steady march down the path of fantasy.
Harry
...with his 2­­¢, online...

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Pete Battista said:
I decided to give this show a chance... just ordered Vol. 1 of the series.
Pete:
As I recall, you ended up enjoying Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. You'll also enjoy TT!

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
yes... definitely enjoyed Voyage... I am watching it slowly but I am enjoying every minute of it.
I also recently tried The Fugitive... which I am also enjoying very much.
So yes... looking forward to this one as well.
htf_imgcache_39989.gif

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Enjoy the series. One of the shows that when I watched again all these years later and wasn't disappointed.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
One thing that really stands out on Irwin Allen's shows are the pilots. He really seemed to like to shoot his whole wad at the starting gate and not really worry how he's going to pay for the rest of the series. The production value on the pilots are amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks