What's new

ThunderCats Is Coming!!!!!! WOOHOO (1 Viewer)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Regarding this show as a blind buy, if you like other action cartoons of the 80s (He Man, Transformers, G.I. Joe), chances are you'll like this. The whole concept of the show is pretty imaginative and it has a strong villain in Mumm-Ra. This is still my favorite of all the 1980s cartoons, but I have heard from some people who say that it isn't as good as they remembered it as a kid.

That said, the DVD set is fairly expensive for a blind buy. You might want to find some way to rent the show first.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised at the price of this. Its made my "definite buy" a "when its on sale" status.

$45 for a 1980's cartoon? I absolutely love Thundercats but it should be $29.99 or around there.

Kris_AB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris
I've already done some price checks at Canadian stores. Just online though. I'll call around to other stores tomorrow. Which reminds me--it's really annoying that a lot of well-respected chains don't have dependable websites. Why doesn't Sunrise's have prices? And why would stores as major as Zellers, Blockbuster, Rogers Video, and Toys R Us not even have it listed yet?

Anyway, the prices I've found so far for Canadian buyers:

Future Shop: $59.99
Chapters: $60.74 (probably online-only, doubt it'll show up in stores)
Music World: $61.83
Amazon.ca (or HMV, since they have a deal with them and I'm going to assume for now that it'll be the same price since they're usually not keen on competing with eachother) 56.69

Some of you can probably find it for cheaper than that, and may've already pre-ordered it for less. I'm not big on pre-orders and for something this special I usually wanna go out and buy it from the store to make sure I can have it within the first day or two of its release. So I guess I'll probably get it from HMV (or Sunrise, since their DVDs are usually the lowest-priced out of the stores in the malls) or Zellers. If I had a Best Buy right near me, I'd probably bother to check there as well.

This was the animated fantasy series of the `80s (well okay, there was Inhumanoids. But you could almost consider that horror as far as kids cartoons are concerned, and unfortunately it didn't last as long). Sampling He-Man again was fun with its 10 Best Episodes release, and I'll probably get the season sets (if only to be a completionist since I definitely want She-Ra), but there's just no comparison. Thundercats was it. And on that note, I really hope it holds up at least somewhat, yikes...

Jarrod Hines

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe there'll be a bundle with a slight savings offered when V2 hits (that should be around the next DDD sale, anyway, providing they have another one).

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I pre-ordered mine from "Future Shop" and their currently packaging it.

I really liked this show as a kid but in my opinion, "He-Man" & "She-Ra" were better shows...

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Packaging isn't bad: the discs are stored in three separate keepcases (not Digipaks) and there is a lenticular card that covers the front of the slipcase.

Wal-Mart didn't carry any copies, so I went to Best Buy; had three copies on hand, but all of them had damaged slipcases. :angry: I'll have to check another BB and CC after work to find a decent package.

Jim.Stokes

Auditioning
I'm stoked for this release, Thundercats, GI Joe and Voltron.. the staples of my upbringing.

Now if only they could release a GOOD GI joe dvd set instead of that crap that was put out half-assed.

James T

Screenwriter
I wanted to go to Best Buy at 10 today, but got called into work. When I did manage to get there (around 2), they were already sold out.

Luckily, I went across the street to Futureshop and they had about 5 remaining.

Haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but I'll watch a few episodes before the end of the day.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Saw it at best buy this afternoon. The box is pretty cool, has that image that changes when you move the box side to side. 6 discs, 3 slip cases in the larger outer box. I didn't buy it.

Shaun

Second Unit
I purchased the set this morning. Packaging is pretty cool with the holographic cover. Price was a bit much though especially for half of a season of a cartoon this old. Paper insert included in the set states that volume 2 is due for release in December.

I just watched a couple of episodes on the first disc and my opinion is that the video quality is not very good. At first glance the picture is kind of blurry and there is some graininess, almost like it was transferred directy from video onto DVD. I understand that this is an older animated show, but even the animation on the new Best of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe DVD is better than this and that show is 3 years older. Anyone else notice this?

James T

Screenwriter
I noticed the bad transfer too. I also noticed that the picture jumps a little almost all the time. It's hard to notice unless you're looking for it. But about 2 mins into the first episode, when Jaga explains what happened to Thundera, the picture really jumps (sorta like how a reel at the theater jumps at times).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks