What's new

Thor (2011) Discussion/Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I won't be surprised if they don't aim a bit more for the Ultimates universe version of Thor which is relatively modernized and also a bit "smaller" than the 616 version. That would fit much better with the current Iron Man style.

I don't know how it all played out (quit following it several years ago) but they initially positioned his "godhood" as a matter of some debate including that he was just kind of crazy.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I hope they don't carry that part--that he may be crazy--over. He should be a hero more noble even than Superman.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I was a HUGE Thor fan as a kid. I still have a few hundred mint condition Thor comics from as far back as the 60's bagged and boxed in my closet.

I hope they do the character justice. What made him interesting to me was the "fish out of water" aspect of having a living Norse god walk among men. I think if done right, it would make a great movie. Start it out in Asgard and end the movie in Midgard (Earth). This is going to the top of my "most anticipated" list.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Why isn't Matthew Vaughn directing this any more? Stardust was a great, underrated fantasyfilm. Before he left X-Men 3 he cast Kelsey Grammar, which was an excellent move. He actually left because he wanted to make X3 a better film, and the studio wouldn't let him. I thought Marvel Studios would do things a little bit better because it's their comic.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
According to Harry Knowles, the current Thor script has no modern day portion so no Donald Blake storyline at all. Which is fine with me - establish the character in a more classic setting, then bring him to the modern day in The Avengers or some other film.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's an odd choice, but it's worth remembering that just because Branagh has done a lot of Shakespeare doesn't make him stuffy; indeed, part of the reasons he does them is to try and demonstrate just how fun an accessible those plays are (he promoted Much Ado as comedy first, classic second, and made Love's Labors Lost into a musical). And even if he's not terribly interested in Thor itself, his last few movies have sort of crashed and burned: Sleuth disappeared, The Magic Flute hasn't shown up in the US, As You Like It went straight to HBO. Marvel is likely getting a very talented director for a discount price because he needs to raise his profile a little bit.

Or it could be like David Gordon Green directing Pineapple Express: There may be a long-repressed need to blow some shit up finally getting its release.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

The problem I've had with Brannagh is that his movies are often too bombastic, with all the characters seeming to have this compulsion to run around screaming all the time. I remember his Frankenstein adaptation being especially funny for this. Then again, this might be a good quality for a superhero movie...

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Personally, I love the choice. He's shown that he can be a great director (Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing, Hamlet) and he's even had some experience with action. I'd love to see him make a comeback. I just hope he still has it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks