What's new

Directors The world's top 5 directors (all-time) (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Stanley Kubrick
Akira Kurosawa
Alfred Hitchcock
Steven Spielberg
Chang Cheh

Others:
Martin Scorsese
Sergio Leone
Orson Wells
Oliver Stone (Seems to have lost it though :frowning: )
Joel Coen

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Wow, digging up this dead horse, eh? Cool. I've seen loads of films from many of these directors in the 2 years since my initial Top 5, and Fellini, Kurosawa and Hitchcock have now been replaced. Here we go again, and what I learned:

1. Stanley Kubrick - a master of a wide array of genres, I doubt he'll ever be overtaken in my top spot.
2. Jean Renoir - The new Criterions plus The Southerner put him past Bunuel for me.
3. Luis Bunuel - Seen all of his 'must-sees' except Viridiana.
4. Fritz Lang - I had no idea his American films were so damn entertaining. I even liked the Indian Epic.
5. Yasujiro Ozu
- Family life cannot be portrayed in a more emotionally resonant, sad and hopeful way.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Can't come up with proper Top 5 but here are five I really admire.

Stanley Kubrick
Akira Kurosawa
Sergio Leone
David Lynch
Yasujiro Ozu

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Steven Spielberg
John Carpenter
Martin Scorsese
Akira Kurosawa
David Lynch

Cary T

Screenwriter
Here are my top five favorite directors:

Wong Kar Wai - Happy Together and Fallen Angels are enough reasons for this director as my favorite, but he also have Chungking Express, ITMFL, and more.

Akira Kurosawa - I don't even need to explain. We know he's one of the greatest. My favorite Kurosawa film is Red Beard, IMO that is his most humanistic film.

Krzysztof Kieslowski - I admire his interest in the human living condition.

Alfred Hitchcock - He knows how to entertain his audience and is a master craftman behind the camera.

Ingmar Bergman - The fifth spot might be a different name on another day, but a director that can make me fall into a deep depression seconds into watching his films deserve a spot on my top 5 at the moment.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
1. Kubrick

2. Stone

3. Carpenter

4. Brian DePalma-Genius who went off the deep end

5. John Landis-best 4 movie back-to-back streak ever, then started descent after Zone

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
There are certainly others.

You could list many Hitchcock streaks, e.g., Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, The Birds

or Billy Wilder: Witness for the Prosecution, Some Like It Hot, The Apartment, One Two Three

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure I could find a few. Just off the top of my head, shift the Billy Wilder streak by 1, and you have:

Some Like It Hot
The Apartment
One, Two, Three
Irma La Douce

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'll see your foursome and raise you a sevensome

Preston Sturges

The Great McGinty
Christmas In July
The Lady Eve
Sullivan's Travels
The Palm Beach Story
The Miracle Of Morgan's Creek
Hail The Conquering Hero

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The Coen Bros.

Barton Fink
The Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
The Big Lebowski
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
A for effort, but not a single film in there that I think highly of. I hesistated to list any of the 4 comedy streaks I could think of by directors like Mel Brooks, Harold Ramis, John Hughes, Rob Reiner, etc., cause all such 4 comedy streaks would have a weak link, though all would be better than the Coen's in my opinion. :)

I guess I'll throw out Robert Zemekis:

Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future 2, Back to the Future 3

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
While i'm not that big on the BTTF films I actually consider Part 3 to be a poor film.

I know you will disagree george but how about Wes Anderson:

Bottle Rocket
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Life Aquatic

I've heard mixed things about his latest but I won't know until the end of March.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I was trying to put together one for Woody Allen, but I couldn't find a 4 movie comedy stretch where I thought all 4 were better than "good".

Wes seems to be on an every other movie streak with me. Love Bottle Rocket and really like Tenenbaums, but didn't like Rushmore and while I laughed quite a bit at Life Aquatic, it also left me pretty cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks