What's new

THE WIZARD OF OZ: 2 and 3-Disc on October 25th, 2005 (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The witch montage style cover looks awesome!

I really hope that turns out to be for the 3-discer...

I wonder if that picture's displaying the front and back of a digipack or if they are the seperate editions?

I'm not crazy about the yellow art with the slippers though...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I just opened up the cover images in Mspaint and enlarged them to full screen. Examining the words in the top banner of each case, the witch cover clearly begins with a 5-letter word (Three) whereas the first bit of text for the ruby slippers art is clearly only three letters (Two)... as in Three-Disc and Two-Disc. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

The text is completely unreadable as it's nothing more than giant fuzzy pixels but you can clearly tell where each letter ends and begins making it able to count the number of letterws in the first few words.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Wow, I love the 3-disc, but the 2-disc is just plain ugly! It looks like it was created for a school play! Thank god I want the 3-disc!

Andy

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I would've liked a vintage poster for the 3-disc, but this'll work too. Very cool artwork. Not getting the 2-discer, so I don't care, but it looks bright, which was obviously the intention.

Just like with last year's WB's Gone with the Wind 4-disc CE, this 3-disc CE of The Wizard of Oz, for me anyway, is already looking to become the DVD of the year.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I wish they would have used an artwork similar to that used for the cover of "The Wizardry of Oz" book. But I'm not at all complaining.....I'm so excited!

Brenton

Screenwriter
Well! I am VERY happy with the cover art for the three-disc version. It's creative, ambitious, and original, and it's VERY attractive.

On the flipside, I think the art on the two-disc version is just awful. Thankfully happens to be the one I'm NOT buying. It's even worse than the cover art on the current release! Whoever designed that ought to be fired.

With that said, I am pleased.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
I've owned Warners' current single-disc version of THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) for years now but I haven't even watched it and, naturally, now I won't need to:)!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to sell it off to my pal at the local DVD rental store (which is where the older DVD editions of subsequently upgraded discs usually go) since he already owns a copy of it:frowning:! Incidentally, I've just rented a public domain DVD of HIS MAJESTY, THE SCARECROW OF OZ (1914) from him a few hours ago:)!

Actually, I've watched the Larry Semon 1925 version earlier on this year and, while I can't say I liked it much at all (**), it's worth watching at least once, if only for curiousity value; nothing much survives of the "classic" story-line which, I guess, is another reason for watching it. And, after all, it does have Oliver Hardy in it...:)

Anyway, I'm definitely there for the 3-Disc Set!!!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I like the 3-disc cover art. Could've been a bit more nostalic looking but that's just my personal tastes. The witch thing is kind of cool though. But the 2 disc art is not that great.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i think both designs are conceptually very creative, with the ruby slippers cover being considerably more sophisticated than whats on the current 'family division' disc. however i agree the 3 disc Witch cover is better executed, and more appealing in general. i would prefer Warner to continue with its use of vintage art, but when they are done as well as they are here, as in the case of the Witch cover, i have no complaints.

i ebayed my old disc shortly before this was announced and am glad i did. i was on the fence about upgrading, but i will be looking forward to it now.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
The 3-disc artwork is elegant and classy. The 2-disc gets points for being decidedly offbeat; the more I look at it the less I dislike it, but it's the 3-disc for me anyway.

:D

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
3-discer looks great, 2-discer is just DREADFUL, in my opinion. Oh well, as others have said before me, that's not the one I'll be buying anyway!

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
I wished they could've come up with something better. To me the two-disc art is plain ugly. Its blank except for the ruby slippers! The three-disc art also looks a bit artificial. Wished they could've included the original poster art.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
If anyone has the time, or ability, they should create they 'perfect' OZ DVD cover art! Or show us the poster you would have like to have been used.

Andy

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
The Three-Disc art looks great. We'll see if anything can rival this for set of the year (Titanic is probably the only disc that has the potential, in my opinion).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks