1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The W.C. Fields Comedy Collection Volume 3

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Rod J, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Rod J

Rod J Premium
    Supporter

Rodney Jewett
    any chance? All Paramount titles owned by Universal
    Million Dollar Legs (1932) - released on VHS looked good
    If I Had a Million (1932) - released on LaserDisc (Fields segment also included on Lubitsch Touch LaserDisc set)
    Tillie and Gus (1933) - no official video release
    Alice in Wonderland (1933) - no official video release
    Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch (1934) released on VHS Universal licensed to Good Times - horrible print
    Mississippi (1935) no official video release

Please!

2. Egbert Souse

Egbert Souse Active Member

I certainly hope that they release a third collection,not holding my breath though.Of course,I never expected them to release a second collection,so I guess there`s hope.Would like to have good copies of all of Mr. Fields movies,It happened with the Marx bros.,but they only had 13 movies.If they do release a third,it`s a must buy for me.As of now i`m just patiently awaiting the arrival of the second collection in the mail,should be any day now,I hope,I hope.

3. dana martin

dana martin Well-Known Member

Dana Martin
    In regards to a possibility of a Vol 3 of Fields work that Universal still has, i would say with their track record, it all depends on how well Vol2 sales go, if it does well, then there is a good chance of seeing 3

4. Charles H

Charles H Well-Known Member

I am wondering why Fox is sitting on the restored TALES OF MANHATTAN? It contains some of Fields' best work and partners him with Phil Silvers, Margaret Dumont, and Marcel Dalio. One of the "Hidden Hollywood" documentaries offers footage beyond the VHS edition of TALES.
    Also FOLLOW THE BOYS via MCA and SENSATIONS OF 1945 (Sony/Fox via MGM/UA?) These were his very last films.

5. Corey

Corey Well-Known Member

I want Sensations of 1945 too since it has Eleanor Powell in it.

6. Charles H

WB owns HER MAJESTY LOVE (1931) and Paramount brought a couple of W.C. Fields silents out on VHS.

7. Rod J

Rod J Premium
    Supporter

Rodney Jewett
    Her Majesty, Love has been shown on TCM, it would have to be in some WB set.
    Unfortunately Paramount still owns the surviving Paramount silents - that's a lost cause.

8. Charles H

Now that Paramount and Criterion have a licensing deal, it's not such a far-fetched idea. One of Criterion's first dvds was a collection of Fields' shorts and they also released THE BANK DICK via Universal. With the anniversary of Vitaphone coming up, HER MAJESTY LOVE might be a possibility. WB did release Marilyn Miller's SUNNY in their "Dawn of Sound" ld.

9. Rod J

Rod J Premium
    Supporter

Rodney Jewett

Criterion releasing the Paramount silents would be great.

I don't hold out much hope for anything from Warner - George Feltenstein at MGM/UA released the "Dawn of Sound" packages along with two sets of "Vitaphone Shorts" - I'm afraid Warner will spend decades looking for "better elements" - if they can't release "Show Boat", I don't hold out much hope for this.

10. Charles H

There is a different judgment call with respect to "Dawn of Sound" elements and SHOW BOAT elements. SHOW BOAT is a classic and it is part of a classic trilogy. "The Dawn of Sound" titles are historical atifacts. I'd love to see all those ld titles and shorts ported over to dvd--whatever their condition. GOLDEN DAWN is a must, but pc will require that it be placed in a historical context. I was very disappointed that "Forbidden Hollywood: Volume I" had no sense of censorship context, particularly why BABY FACE was offered in two different versions. I recall that BABY FACE was the reason why Daryl Zanuck left WB for Fox.