What's new

The Twilight Zone-Update? (1 Viewer)

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I wish they were a bit cheaper, but with the extras and remastering, I think they're a must have for me. My girlfriend had previously bought a couple of the earlier releases, but I think they're worth replacing.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Have you tried e-mailing Image? They're usually pretty good about returning e-mails.

Steve

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Paul, feel free to point me in the direction of any reviews out there. We're four days away now, and I can't find any.

Steve, two of the posters in this thread worked on the set! If they're unwilling to answer the question, I highly doubt Image will.

*Sigh* Screw it. I give up.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Since you asked so nicely...:D

I've just acquired both the 1959 and 1985 sets (cash registers went ka-ching a little earlier than I'd planned).

Here's what's listed on the packages of the individual discs of the Definitive Season 1 (1959-60) set:

Disc 1
1 Where Is Everybody: Isolated score by Bernard Herrman, audio commentary by Earl Holliman
2 One For The Angels: "Twilight Zone Radio Drama"
3 Mr. Denton...: audio commentary by Martin Landau
4 16mm Shrine: isolated score by Franz Waxman
5 Walking Distance: isolated score by Bernard Herrman, Rod Serling Lecture
6 Escape Clause: (none)
7 The Lonely: isolated score by Bernard Herrman
Disc 2
8 Time Enough At Last: Zicree interview with Burgess Meredith; Drew Cary Show clip
9 Perchance To Dream: isolated score by Van Cleave
10 Judgment Night: (none)
11 And When The Sky...: isolated score by Leonard Rosenman, Rod Serling lecture, commentary by Rod Taylor, Zicree interview with Douglas Heyes
12 What You Need: isolated score by Van Cleave
13 The Four Of Us Are Dying: isolated score by Jerry Goldsmith
14 Third From The Sun: Zicree interview with Richard Bare, isolated score (no composer credited)
15 I Shot An Arrow...: "Twilight Zone Radio Drama
Disc 3
16 The Hitch-Hiker: isolated score (no composer credited)
17 The Fever: (none)
18 The Last Flight: (none)
19 The Purple Testament: Isolated score by Lucien Moraweck
20 Elegy: isolated score by Van Cleave
21 Mirror Image: audio commentary by Martin Milner, isolated score (no composer credit)
22 The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street: "Twilight Zone Radio Drama," isolated score by Rene Garriguenc
Disc 4
23 A World Of Difference: Isolated score by Van Cleave
24 Long Live Walter Jameson: commentary by Kevin McCarthy
25 People Are Alike All Over: (none)
26 Execution: (none)
27 The Big Tall Wish: isolated score by Jerry Goldsmith, "Twilight Zone Radio Drama" (starring Blair Underwood)
28 A Nice Place To Visit: isolated score (no composer credit)
29 Nightmare As A Child: isolated score by Jerry Goldsmith
Disc 5
30 A Stop At Willoughby: isolated score by Nathan Scott, Zicree interview with Buck Houghton (1979)
31 The Chaser: isolated score (no composer credit), Zicree interview with Douglas heyes
32 A Passage For Trumpet: isolated score by Lyn Murray
33 Mr. Bevis: (none)
34 The After Hours: Zicree interview with Anne Francis & Douglas Heyes, "Twilight Zone Radio Drama".
35 The Mighty Casey: Rod Serling Lecture, "rare photos".
36 A World Of His Own: Zicree interview with Richard Matheson (1978).

Disc 6 is all bonus features. I'll let you discover the goodies for yourself... at least for now.

Caveat: this is based on the list on the packaging, and I haven't yet had the chance to play the discs to verify.

Also, not every episode has a "next week..." trailer. The individual episode's chapter menu will indicate whether the trailer for the next show is present, absent, or an "audio-only." Look for "And now, Mr. Serling" in the chapter list.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Woo hoo! Disappointed not all the next week teasers are included, but it's possible some of them may be lost. I will be grateful for all the additional ones that I've never seen before. Tons of isolated scores! I really can't wait to listen to commentaries and the tons of interviews Zicree conducted.

The whole 6th disc is bonus features? Please tell us what's on there. Pretty please?

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I'm easy....

Disc 6
Original pilot version of "Where Is Everybody", with the sales pitch film, as seen on disc 43 of the first DVD release.

Two "commentary" tracks for that pilot; one by producer William Self, and another derived from the 1975 Rod Serling college lecture series featured on other commentary tracks.

Opening and closing bits of that film, with alternate Rod Serling narration (unlike the aired version; one of the lines is "sunlight of his knowledge...").

A pitch film for the Netherlands when that nation's TV system picked up the series.

An episode of the "Liars Club" game show hosted by Serling.

A blooper from Serling's narration for "He's Alive."

A photo gallery from first season shows.

A TZ radio drama, "The Lonely."

Original TZ advertiser billboards: "...brought to you tonight by..." (8 altogether, split between Sanka coffee and Kimberly Clark / Kleenex products).

Clips from several Emmy Award shows where George Clemens and Serling receive the prize (including his wonderful acknowledgement of Charles Beaumont, Richard Matheson, George Clayton Johnson; names them and says "c'mon boys, we'll carve it up like a turkey").

The DVDs are in a box nestled within a larger box, packaged with a copy of Marc Scott Zicree's "Twilight Zone Companion." (Book was specially bound/trimmed to fit the box, has an Image Entertainment imprint as well as the current publisher; otherwise identical to the other copies available.) It's possible sometime in the future Image may market the discs without the larger box/book.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
An episode of "Liars Club"???? Game show collectors like me didn't know any existed!

I have said I would not buy these sets until all five seasons were out, but I may end up reconsidering, though the old sets will not be discarded because I do want to have all episodes at my immediate disposal on DVD.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Amazing that that exists. "Liar's Club" had a very short life in syndication in 1969, and was produced by Ralph Andrews Productions, who also produced the long-running 60s NBC daytime game show "You Don't Say". I have a color kinescope of Serling appearing as a celeb guest on that show at the same time he was doing "Liar's Club" and it's a riot to see him in the loose, crazy environs of game show competition. Seeing him trying to host a show will be even more fun!

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
WOW, I wasn't even aware that they were re-releasing this series. It's a little annoying as I just completed the slim-case 5 volume set earlier this year. Now the question is if I should sell my current sets on ebay and re-purchase?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Depends on how much you really love the series. It's my favorite, so I have to have the best looking/sounding version out there. And the extras will rule.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I wonder if the kinda-sorta-high price of season 1 is due to the inclusion of the book (which, by the way, I had NO idea about). This would also explain why the MSRP for season 2 is lower (since it most likely won't include the book). Wow, this set just keeps on surprising me... and I don't even have it yet! Two more days...

My fiancee found a novel way to give me this set for Christmas before its release. Hanging on the tree was an envelope with my name on it, inside which was a picture of the set and a $100 bill. :D

EricSunde

Stunt Coordinator
Well, based on all of this great feedback so far (Thanks!), I just placed my order at Coconuts.com for $69.99, which seems to be the cheapest price going, by quite a bit.

This sounds like it is fantastic, and I cannot wait to see it.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
People were complaining that the price is too high, but the original announcement didn't say anything about the book being included. At least I don't remember that. And the set's available heavily discounted on Coconuts.com like Eric said, and if you've never bought from them, use the coupon code FIRSTPURCHASE to get 10% off and free shipping (I think). The second season is already up for preorder at Amazon for $69.99: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000777IJ2/

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
re: msrp difference between season 1 & 2

season one has 36 episodes while season 2 has 29.
basically one disc less.
and then there's the book...

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
The Image Entertainment website says that the season 2 set will be six discs, just like season 1. I'm assuming this means more supplements. In any case, it appears that the book is the (happily welcome) culprit behind the price difference. Unless Image is wrong, and it's actually five discs....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks