What's new

The Twilight Zone-Update? (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Deceased Member

Such enthusiasm (certainly) deserves a reply!

The bonus features that will be included in the 6-disc 37 half hour episode THE TWILIGHT ZONE - THE DEFINITIVE DVD COLLECTION are:

01) Audio commentaries by Earl Holliman, Martin Landau, Rod Taylor, Martin Milner, Kevin McCarthy, Ted Post (director) and William Self (former CBS Television Network Executive).

02) Vintage audio recollections with Burgess Meredith, Douglas Heyes (director), Richard L. Bare (director), Buck Houghton (series producer), Anne Francis and Richard Matheson (series writer).

03) Rod Serling audio lectures from Sherwood Oaks College.

04) Isolated music scores featuring the legendary Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith and more.

05) Rod Serling on camera previews for the next week shows.

06) Original unaired pilot version of "Where is Everybody?" (02/10/1959) with Rod Serling's CBS Television Network pitch.

07) Rare Rod Serling blooper.

Remember that the source elements for this DVD collection will be digitally remastered from the original 35mm CBS Television Network storage vault print negatives.

Nuff Said?

Jeff T.

William0

Agent
Recently I sent an email to the Image Entertainment about the captions for both versions of Twilight Zone. They responded that the season 1 will not be closed captioned however the original (season 2-5) and the 80's (season 2-3) will be closed captioned. I am very disappointed about the season 1 without captions but at least they have shown the progress for the season 2 and on, that's a good news! Since I am a huge TZ fan, I look forward to own the whole collection including season 1. I think one of these days the season 1 box will have captions eventually. So finally... I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.. :)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Jeff T - thanks for the information. This sounds like a very well produced set and will make TZ fans quite happy. The Serling previews in particular are a great addition.

William0 - thanks for contacting Image and reporting back to us on the captioning issue. I'm glad the remaining seasons will be captioned. It's very unfortunate that the first season won't be, but I give credit to Image for responding to consumer requests and getting the others captioned. I wonder if subsequent pressings of S1 can be updated to include the missing captions.

Steve

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
Well, I put in my order with Amazon today.

I'm surprised the price is a few dollars higher at Deep Discount DVD.
Being an uber Twilight Zone fan I'm tickled pink that it was given the royal treatment in the AV and supplemental department, as such I'm more than happy to repurchase the show...but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed that I'm not paying less the second time around.
But I understand the reason for the higher MSRP - a greater investment in the product via the enhanced AV presentation and extensive supplements, so perhaps an MSRP equal or lower to the boxsets is unrealistic from a corporate viewpoint.
Besides, no one is making me rebuy it, I could decide not to spend another penny on Twilight Zone material ever again.

I guess Image and Fox are lucky that I'm a Twilight Zone and X-Files whore, and shall be one till the last.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Looks like Image may have realized Twilight Zoen Season 1 is a bit overpriced. They announced Season 2 today, and list an MSRP of $99.99. So either it's a mistake or subsequent seasons will be cheaper (possibly an MSRP reduction on S1 before release, too?). Here are the details on S2:

Link Removed and search for Twilight Zone (can't direct link to their individual pages)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
How about the alternate version of "Eye of The Beholder" that was included in the last release?

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Still no specific info regarding WHICH episodes feature isolated music? Damn. Two weeks till it streets, and it's STILL a secret?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Am I wrong, or is this the first TV series to completely double-dip?

I would love to have these new sets, but I'm still pissed as hell that I spent $400 on these less then 2 years ago, only to have them revamped, repackaged, & resold. It's one thing to double dip on a $15 movie, and another thing entirely to double-dip on a $400 TV series (Even if it is the greatest TV series of all time):angry: :angry:

Actually, this is a triple dip. I bought the original Panasonic set that was in jewel cases, but avoided the rest of the series until they sorted out how they were to be packaged. When the boxed versions came along, I assumed this was the be-all, end-all for this series and jumped in. These new discs were quite obviously already in the planning stages when the last sets were being released, and that really stinks!!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
The original Star Trek, originally released in single-disc volumes, is now available in season sets. So no, The Twilight Zone isn't the first "double dip" TV collection.

It should be noted that all three earlier incarnations of TZ on DVD (the single volumes, the jewel-case collection, and the five box sets) were repackages of the same exact discs. Eric, surely you knew that you were buying the same discs over again....?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Yes, but it was only the first 5 volumes, and I knew that it was a re-packaging only, but why would they repackage the damn things 3 times and then finally release the souped up versions. I'm sorry, but this was a deliberate attempt to make more money off of these sets. As I said before the final repackaging of the original discs took place less than 2 years ago and something of the magnitude of these new releases takes much longer than that to plan. These new releases were known about by Image and they still gouged the consumer. If they needed more money to justify the remastering and bonus content then just charge more. I would have been more open to paying $800 for a complete set, then paying $400 twice.

This kind of corporate mentality angers me to no end, and it seems to be one of the only fields that they can get away with it in. Car manufacturers couldn't sell you a vehicle for $20,000 and the following day release a car with a bigger engine, stainless body, and twice the options for the same price or the customers would riot.

As I said before, I would love to have this set, but they're not getting my money from me again. :angry: :angry: :angry:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Even though I did buy one of the slimcase repackaging collections, I'm still eagerly awaiting these seasons sets. With all the extras we're getting and the remastered transfers, it's amazing so many people are bitching about it. Sell your current sets to make up the cost, or don't even buy the new ones. I'm getting them all.

William0

Agent
I don't think we will see the last dvd sets of upcoming Twilight Zone series. In few years from now, we probably will see the whole dvd industry facing the huge demand of dvd sets in hdtv format. That will apply to any tv shows on dvd.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I hope they include the alternate titled version of Eye Of the Beholder on the second set, as it was included previously...there is no mention of it in the specs though...not including it would make the set "almost-definitive."

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Alternate versions of episodes should certainly be included (the two versions of "Where Is Everybody?", for example), but since the "Private World Of Darkness" title card is the only thing that differentiates it from "Eye Of The Beholder," I'm not terribly concerned if it gets left out. Since Season 2 is several episodes shorter than season 1, though, it seems like they'd include it to bulk up the set. I dunno. Guess we'll find out in March...

I'm STILL dying to know WHICH episodes in the season 1 set will feature isolated music scores. Somebody PLEASE put me out of my misery! :D

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Craig, relax. The set comes out soon, so read the reviews that should start popping up any day now. If not, you'll have it in your hands soon enough anyway.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Seems a bit over priced to me too. For a 40 year old series, it should be about 40.00 but that didnt stop Star Trek TOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks