What's new

'THE STEPFATHER' - Who owns the rights? (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait to see what loser they choose to try and fail miserably at bettering Terry O'Quinn's fantastic performance. :rolleyes

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
The original THE STEPFATHER was produced by ITC, so it should be part of Granada's library (Granada bought out Carlton which bought ITC from MGM blah blah blah). But while ITC had a hand in the subsequent sequels, the respective studios that made them (Miramax on II, Trimark on III) control them for video in the U.S., hence the Buena Vista DVD of II, which features commentary from producer Darin Scott.
I don't know why STEPFATHER has not had even the most barebone DVD release here since most ITC product is spoken for. Maybe this new sequel might put wheels in motion to free it up.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was just thinking about this movie. I recorded mine off IFC years ago. It's likely that remake will give us a good version of this on DVD. That's the only good thing about most remakes.
The "who am I here" bit is terrific. I also enjoyed the house showing scene. And when his step daughter is talking to scary Jerry about how much the doctor meant to her. I just want to kill Jerry!!!
Great film. Too bad I have to watch my lame VHS again this year. :frowning: Ya know, this is one gorgeous looking movie too! It has a suburbish Halloween look. Just awesome! Can't wait for an anamorhpic widescreen.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait to see the new film...

I'm sure some terrible film-maker will decide that his/her love of the first film will justify their retooling and "reimagining" of the original. Then we'll soon hear about how they've cast Hilary Duff or someone similar for the role of Stephanie etc etc.

No part of me doubts that we're going to have another WHEN A STRANGER CALLS remake here...

Not to mention I can GUARANTEE you we will see flashbacks to Jerry as a child or at least his past families. So the audience will understand exactly why he is the way he is. Perhaps Leave it to Beaver will be playing on television as his father beats him with a belt. We certainly can't expect the audience to fill in the blanks...

Part of me also wonders if this will actually result in a release of the first film on DVD in region 1 (clutches his 16:9 german copy). Hopefully, then at least something good will come of it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Robert Ringwald said:
When they do one in a NTSC country I'm buying! But I really think the remake is going to get the R1 for us. I mean, we're getting Lets Scare Jessica to Death (which I'm estatic about) thanks to it's upcoming (probably lame) remake.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Bruce Kimmel at HainesHisWay.com told me that it is available in a region 2 edition, a German import, and can be ordered for a very reasonable price at xploitedcinema.com - here's the link:

xploitedcinema.com/catalog/ste...ion-p-7241.html

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
MattH. said:
Bruce Kimmel at HainesHisWay.com told me that it is available in a region 2 edition, a German import, and can be ordered for a very reasonable price at xploitedcinema.com - here's the link:
xploitedcinema.com/catalog/ste...ion-p-7241.html
Looks like it'll cost you about $30. :eek: About $10 higher than reasonable in my tightwade world. Plus it's in PAL. And that generally runs faster. I used to get that with my old Amiga computer games. I had a hack but it made the screen blink. I do plan on getting the UK version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1972). I don't know...if it works okay I might go with this one myself. I wonder if it would be possible to convert this PAL into NTSC somehow.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Some DVD players have a region hack and the ability to convernt PAL to NTSC. I got one specifically for this reason. I've got the limited edition Stepfather Trilogy set (it's the same edition of part 1 that xploitedcinema is offering, along with parts 2 and 3 in 16:9 widescreen) that is pretty good. It's also got the trailer for the first film, and a still gallery. The DVD player also comes in handy for my region 2 copies of Ally McBeal which will likely never see release in the USA anytime soon.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Robert Ringwald said:
Some DVD players have a region hack and the ability to convernt PAL to NTSC. I got one specifically for this reason. I've got the limited edition Stepfather Trilogy set (it's the same edition of part 1 that xploitedcinema is offering, along with parts 2 and 3 in 16:9 widescreen) that is pretty good. It's also got the trailer for the first film, and a still gallery. The DVD player also comes in handy for my region 2 copies of Ally McBeal which will likely never see release in the USA anytime soon.
To my understanding PAL works okay on a PC. I guess I"ll have to region hack my Sony DVD burner that I use. I'll pick up a hackable DVD player for stuff like this if I have to. I'd be great to get whatever I want and not just Chinese stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks