What's new

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
bigshot said:
I kind of know what you are talking about, but I don't think the colors, tunes or staging are the reason I don't like R-H as much as typical MGM, Busby Berkeley or Fox musicals. The reason is that R-H always put in gritty seriousness that cuts into the pure fun of it. When I watch the other musicals, it's like eating Technicolor candy all the way through. Sure, there might be some half hearted "let's put on a show!" or "boy loses girl" exposition between the big numbers, but those are always short and they drive you to the next song. In R-H that exposition is done for its own sake.

The other problem is that 60s musicals and R-H in particular are always too long. 2 1/2 hours is a chore to sit through. I remember it felt like that when I was a kid in the 60s too.
If 2 hours and 30 minutes is "a chore to sit through," you must have been worked hard by Skyfall (2 hours 23 min.), Star Wars II: Atack of the Clones (2 hrs 23), Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith (2 hrs 20), Saving Private Ryan (2 hrs 49), Braveheart (2 hrs 57) and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (2 hrs 34). We won't even talk about Schindler's List (3 hrs 15), Lawrence of Arabia (3 hrs 36), The Ten Commandments (3 hrs 40), and Ben-Hur (3 hrs 32)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
well, there is a sale on this box at amazon, but.. do you think the King and I would be released again corrected?
Maybe in 2016 for the film's 60th anniversary?

The French Connection was re-released in a new restoration for less..

I want to buy the box (I already have The Sound of Music), but this thing bugs me a lot.
I try to have an open mind and say to myself it doesn't matter, but as more screenshots as I see, I don't like this at all!

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Amazon.ca has this for $46.xx shipped to the U.S (it's the same packaging and discs). I finally pulled the trigger as that was too good a price to pass up.

Eric HG

Auditioning
bruceames said:
Amazon.ca has this for $46.xx shipped to the U.S (it's the same packaging and discs). I finally pulled the trigger as that was too good a price to pass up.
Damnit--just missed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks